OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

HOBLink and ArcaOS

(1/8) > >>

Glenn:
Hi,

How does one install / start on ArcaOS the HOBLink X11 version that was included with eCS ?

During the install, I get a "fatal error : cannot load C:\HOBX11\xwpdllid.dll" pops up (the file is present in the folder). That makes the installer stop, but after I copied the files from an eCS installation (and added the registration info to the registry), the message is the same when trying to start the X server.

Additional strange thing (but not a showstopper): the installer defaults to D:\HOBX11, even though I have no drive D on my ArcaOS VM...

Thanks for any tip!

A.

David McKenna:
 Hi Glenn,

I vaguely remember trying this when ArcaOS first came out and found that HOBLink somehow checks that it is on an eCS installation and doesn't work otherwise. Maybe you can figure out how to fake an eCS install for it...

Regards,

Andreas Schnellbacher:
There are several options to detect an eCS installation:

* \os2\install\syslevel.ecs
* \ecs\ecs_inst.flg
* \ecs\dll\securit2.dll
* \os2\ecsreg.ini
* \os2\ecsreg11.ini
(I don't want to use the old X-Window desktop anymore.)

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on September 18, 2022, 06:48:41 pm ---There are several options to detect an eCS installation:

* \os2\install\syslevel.ecs
* \ecs\ecs_inst.flg
* \ecs\dll\securit2.dll
* \os2\ecsreg.ini
* \os2\ecsreg11.ini
(I don't want to use the old X-Window desktop anymore.)

--- End quote ---

There are some programs, that look for a file named "WiseMachine.FIT" (can be empty), in the root of the boot drive.

Andreas Schnellbacher:
That was for the first eCS version only and is not safe, because the file is copied on booting the eCS CD. It can be be used for versions before syslevel.ecs existed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version