Author Topic: HOBLink and ArcaOS  (Read 18872 times)

SoundChaser

• View Profile
Re: HOBLink and ArcaOS
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2022, 11:23:31 pm »
Merry Xmas Dave! Merry Xmas Ivan!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2022, 04:25:07 am »
Merry Christmas SoundChaser,

Another possibility for X is weirdx, whether it still works, I don't know. It is a Java program.
https://www.os2site.com/sw/xfree86/misc/weirdx-1.0.31.zip

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 07:05:44 am »
My understanding is the company that made Hoblink released it as freeware when the company stopped selling it.  It appears Dave has that same understanding.

I have HOBLink-x11 v 3.5 running on my AOS v 5.? machine. I just tested it with xhello.exe (from the IBM PMX distribution) and it runs without a nag or  warning.   My problem is I don't remember how I installed it.

I   have a file on my server where I store OS/2 apps (which is the one I uploaded), and I remember that I have copies of every version of ECS released, some of which also have HOBLink,  and there is a zip file on Hobbes for v 3.5 that says it is a trial version - but I don't remember which one I used to install my working copy.

So try the one from Hobbes and/or the one I uploaded.  If neither of those work let us know and I can try and zip up my installation and maybe we can get it installed that way.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 07:10:03 am »
Hi Dave, and a merry Christmas and new year to you.

Yes I do have the full zip (4 plus meg).  I would put it up here but the last time I tried with a zip larger than 2 meg it doesn't accept it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 08:47:46 am »
Thanks Doug. It would not do a new install, complained about XWPDLLID.DLL being missing, so I installed it over my old HOBX11 install which seemed to work fine. The serial number seems hard coded and the same as I had.
Can't connect to it though
Code: [Select]
[F:\usr\X11R6\bin]putty -d 127.0.0.1:1

Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I have to reread the help and perhaps test on the partition where X is installed. It's been a long time and might need more then BEGINLIBPATH set.
Perhaps yours is an update as Ivan says his is over 4MB while yours is a hair less then 4MB.

Edit: xcalc does start and display on the desktop, with screwed up glyphs, xclock fails, xeyes also opens, only follows the mouse if it is in its window. Xman also starts, with screwed up characters
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 09:27:23 am by Dave Yeo »

SoundChaser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 04:09:58 pm »
@Doug,

This is from the WS_FTP.LOG in the archive you've uploaded. It appears it's an ecomstation-related build. I'll give it a shot anyway...

2001.07.02 11:09 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\100DPI.FNT <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 100DPI.FNT
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\DIVE.DL_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 DIVE.DL_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\FTP.EX_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 FTP.EX_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\FTP.HL_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 FTP.HL_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\KMF.KM_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 KMF.KM_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\MISC.FNT <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 MISC.FNT
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\MYSTART.SU <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 MYSTART.SU
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\MYSTART1.SU <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 MYSTART1.SU
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\TELNET.EX_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 TELNET.EX_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\TELNET.HL_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 TELNET.HL_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\TERMINAL.IN_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 TERMINAL.IN_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\XSET.EX_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 XSET.EX_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\XSETUP.HL_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 XSETUP.HL_
2001.07.02 11:10 B C:\Patrick\Business\Partners\Serenity Systems\Software\X11\Disk3\XSTARTUP.EX_ <-- HOB /pub/Von_HOB/serenity/X11/Disk3 XSTARTUP.EX_

SoundChaser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 04:13:15 pm »
Same error message about license violation. It _is_ for ecomstation.

Ivan you are my only hope! archive.org perhaps?

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 04:50:41 pm »
SoundChaser,

That is strange because I have it running on my AOS system.  I don't know what I have on my machine that makes it think that it is ecs.

So I have attached my installation, along with the entry in OS2.INI for HOBLink_X11 - which I created with the Option - To Disk menu item in INIE.  Since there is a Option - From Disk I am hopeful it will create the entry from the file.  The file you need to import with INIE is HOBSTUFF.XXX, but I had to zip it because OS2Word has a restriction on extensions of XXX.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2022, 05:07:13 pm »
Second part - I am doing this in two parts to avoid size limits.

Dave - It appears to work OK on my machine - Gimp appears to run fine, although it is SLOW - especially when it is first starting.  Slow as in it takes a couple of minutes to load all the plugins and stuff it is loading up.  The second time it starts it starts quicker.

My comparison is HOBLink verses PMX.  HOBLink appears to render some dialogs (the color parts) better, although the fonts are huge.  Which might be a setting.   The attached file gimp_pmx02.jpg shows the file open dialog - you can see that every other line is black. When you click on the line (gimp_pmx03.jpg) PMX renders the colors correctly.  The same file dialog in HOBLink is in shown in gimp_hob02.jpg.

Both seem to work OK when the file is actually open - gimp_hob01.jpg verses gimp_pmx01.jpg.  The differences are PMX is faster, especially when gimp is starting, and the default settings for the font sizes works better.

But I have to say I don't really use Gimp very much - Embellish fits my needs better.  So there my be other issues with either/both X11 servers I am not aware of.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 05:09:42 pm by Doug Clark »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2022, 06:38:23 pm »
The file you need to import with INIE ...

Hi Dough, What is INIE? Where is it?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2022, 06:48:20 pm »
 Hi Doug,

Thanks for uploading your install of HOBLink. To my surprise, I was actually able to get it to work. In case it helps someone else, here is what I did:

1. Download Doug's install of HOBLink, copy to the C:\Programs\hobx11 directory. Tried starting xserver.exe and xstartup.exe but got the notice it is not a legal installation.

2. Downloaded Doug's HOBLink installer, ran it and installed over the copied version. At the end added my name (serial number pre-inserted) after which xserver.exe and xstartup.exe work without complaint!

Haven't actually tried using it for anything yet, so might see some of the strangeness Dave noted, but at least it is operational.

Regards,

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 09:07:22 pm »
OK I'll try and attach it again.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 09:49:54 pm »
Found my problem. I turned DIVE off as it performs horribly with Panorama, and that caused my problems. Turning it back on and xman becomes readable with nice glyphs, but slow as in watching each line getting drawn.
Need to remember how to get the VNC server working with real X, it is fast especially with a minimal window manager.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2022, 09:51:29 pm »
Martin,

inie.exe is a little program that edits *.INI files.  I THINK I got it from Hobbes but I am not sure.  I have it installed in a UTIL directory that contains all my utilities, like zip, unzip, etc. and I have been coping the contents of that directory from machine to machine for years so I don't remember where it came from.  But I have zipped it up and uploaded it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 12:28:36 am »
Martin,

inie.exe is a little program that edits *.INI files.  I THINK I got it from Hobbes but I am not sure.  I have it installed in a UTIL directory that contains all my utilities, like zip, unzip, etc. and I have been coping the contents of that directory from machine to machine for years so I don't remember where it came from.  But I have zipped it up and uploaded it.

Thanks Doug. I didn't have it my radar. I just uploaded it to hobbes too, I didn't find it there.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 06:02:10 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.