Author Topic: VisualAge for C Modern Installer  (Read 7156 times)

Glenn

• View Profile
VisualAge for C Modern Installer
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:18:10 am »
Yes, it would be nice, but QtCreator is not a generic IDE. It's tailored to Qt development.

Thanks Joche, I guess you are right. I download it and I don't see any generic Non Qt project on the list.

I guess if we are dreaming we should aim for the Eclipse IDE and/or Apache Netbeans, right?

Regards

Well, from a non-commercial POV this is probably the best solution one can seek imho. On the "abandonware" side the best editors for OS/2 are the VAC 4 IDE and (AFAIK) Visual SlickEdit, together with I seem to remember VisualAge for SmallTalk.

There was some talk about how to retrieve at least Visual SlickEdit, but nothing more.
Mentore

Talking about VAC.. is there any way to convert Feature Installer based installers to something more modern, so programs like VAC could be installed without having to use Netscape ?..

Mentore

• View Profile
Re: VisualAge for C Modern Installer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:16:46 am »
Yes, it would be nice, but QtCreator is not a generic IDE. It's tailored to Qt development.

Thanks Joche, I guess you are right. I download it and I don't see any generic Non Qt project on the list.

I guess if we are dreaming we should aim for the Eclipse IDE and/or Apache Netbeans, right?

Regards

Well, from a non-commercial POV this is probably the best solution one can seek imho. On the "abandonware" side the best editors for OS/2 are the VAC 4 IDE and (AFAIK) Visual SlickEdit, together with I seem to remember VisualAge for SmallTalk.

There was some talk about how to retrieve at least Visual SlickEdit, but nothing more.
Mentore

Talking about VAC.. is there any way to convert Feature Installer based installers to something more modern, so programs like VAC could be installed without having to use Netscape ?..

That's pretty interesting. One could unpack the FI install method and convert it in WarpIN. Just a hint, though.
I still don't have time to work on OS/2 or ArcaOS, even in VM, due to too many things to do (and a 6 months old child!!!), but willing to take action again ASAP. I'll have a look on this if I can.

Mentore

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 09:33:01 am »
Suntan Special installs VAC and other FI products using CID. Netscape  is not required.

http://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:20:30 am »
Suntan Special installs VAC and other FI products using CID.
Hi Neil,
I still have an image of my CD (v0.5.2) and cannot see a directory with VAC scripts in it. In which version did you add that functionality ?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 06:51:43 pm »
Just  a note: I split this topic from the Open Source Wishlist.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 07:14:32 pm »
Suntan Special installs VAC and other FI products using CID.
Hi Neil,
I still have an image of my CD (v0.5.2) and cannot see a directory with VAC scripts in it. In which version did you add that functionality ?

You can download the latest from my website and install your CD (or the file tree from the CD) VAC with it. It should also offer to install all the patches. With 0.5.2, I separated the development tools otherwise it wouldn't fit on a CD.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 09:11:24 pm »
It's been years since I have installed VAC here, but behind the GUI front end, isn't all this really just fed into a dynamically built CID?

Neil,
How did you end up building this CID?

I'm going to take a look through my original install CDs (as well as the DevCon CDs for this)...

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 09:47:22 pm »
BTW: Both VAC and C Set/2 can be installed by unpacking an archive and by adding paths to an environment. There's really no need in using FI for that.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 11:14:35 pm »
Hi

Once I tried to create my own WarpIn installer for VAC 3.6.5 FP2, but I never finished it. It copies the files, some config.sys changes, but it still misses the icons to be created on the desktop and (of coure) it was not properly tested. 

It may be crap for the moment. I lost the motivation for it, if someone wants to try to finish it I just posted the script here, and I can send them whatever they want.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:21:23 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 03:17:38 pm »
Both VAC and C Set/2 can be installed by unpacking ...
I think the problems start with VAC4.0 and it's help system which needs a server and a lot of settings in config.sys. Think the included 3.65 version needs the 'new' help system too.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 03:22:36 pm »
It's been years since I have installed VAC here, but behind the GUI front end, isn't all this really just fed into a dynamically built CID?

Neil,
How did you end up building this CID?

I'm going to take a look through my original install CDs (as well as the DevCon CDs for this)...

You can look at my REXX code, but all I did was look at the Feature Install documentation. As I recall it took some experimentation to get it working.

After installation, I remove a lot of stuff from Config.Sys. I prefer having a cmd file for compiler environment to having the environment in config.sys.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 05:42:10 pm »
Hi Andi,

Both VAC and C Set/2 can be installed by unpacking ...
I think the problems start with VAC4.0 and it's help system which needs a server and a lot of settings in config.sys. Think the included 3.65 version needs the 'new' help system too.

You are right in that the Help system was somewhat 'picky/fussy'....BUT...once configured (NetQ app) it is actually a darn good system.

I still have all my VAC stuff installed and configured (working), both the 3.6.5 as well as the 4.0 GUI, although I primarily use the 3.6.5 for compile duties, as the 4.0 GUI stuff always seemed too resource intensive.

Having said that, I did configure a project in 4.0 a few months ago (it was the DISKIO update I was working on) and in a SMP enabled box, with a sizable JFS cache and plenty of memory, boy, that thing absolutely rocked!!!

Anyways, for anyone trying to get that 3.6.5/4.0 Help thing working: if you are stuck, describe the problem and I'll be happy to help - at least we have a working environment to compare to!

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 05:37:02 am »
I wrote a couple of articles years ago on how to install FI based products without Netscape:

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 11:31:08 am »
Building upon what Alex mentioned, I have also written a "CD-ROM Update" to the VAC installation CD-ROM that builds upon "FI":

This is for the VAC 3.6.5 Compiler:

http://www.os2site.com/sw/dev/vacpp/vacinstfix2.zip

The ZIP contains a "addinfo.txt" that explains on how to use the contents of this ZIP file. Effectively, you save the CD-ROM contents to hard disk, dump the ZIP file over it and burn back to a CD-ROM. The rest is listed in "addinfo.txt", including all the steps needed to get the help system working.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 11:39:07 am by Lars »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 12:45:51 am »
Lars, your original Hobbes upload was renamed:
https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/proglang/cpp/VAC_3-6-5_InstallFix_2007-03-27.zip

(I've found it by searching for "vac".)