Author Topic: USB Keyboard Wedge Device  (Read 8422 times)

apawskee

USB Keyboard Wedge Device
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:40 am »
I have device that has a capability to read MICR codeline using USB keyboard wedge but it cannot recognize by the operating system, it always detect as "unknown device".
can anyone please..... help me to this problem?

ivan

• View Profile
Re: USB Keyboard Wedge Device
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »
More details please, for example;

List the USB statements from your config.sys.
Does HCIMONIT show the same USB controllers as config.sys?
Do you have USB keyboard.sys active or is it like this REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS?
What are you using to detect and show your USB devices?

By giving answers to most of those questions we might be able to help resolve your problem.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »
Hi

It is interesting "The bottom line on all checks printed and used in North America (and many other countries worldwide)  is printed using a special font called MICR (short for Magnetic Ink Character Recognition)."

So it should be something like this:

Do anybody knows if any kind of MICR readers has worked on OS/2 in the past?

Lennon:
- Which OS/2 or eComStation version are you using? ( You can execute a "ver /r" on the command line).
- It will be interesting to know the brand and model of the USB Keybord, and it is working as a normal keyboard or not.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:08:40 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

apawskee

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
Ivan,

Does HCIMONIT show the same USB controllers as config.sys?

Ans.>>> i don't have any idea about HCIMONIT.

Do you have USB keyboard.sys active or is it like this REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS?

Ans.>>>I have driver and the files are "USBKBD.SYS" & "USBKINST.EXE", after placing the "USBKDB.SYS" at C:\OS2\BOOT path and "run" "USBKINST" at the command prompt it display "CONFIG.SYS CANNOT FOUND"

What are you using to detect and show your USB devices?

Ans.>>>None, can you give one?

apawskee

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
Martin Iturbide,

we're using Ecomstation 2.2 and Ecomstation 2.0 Silver Release.

the device is "CTS L40" it is a keyboard emulated device that has a capability to read MICR codeline.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:19:43 pm »
it always detect as "unknown device"

What says it is an "unknown" device? If you are talking about the USBDock program (or the USB widget, which uses the same data), that is probably true. It says the same for about 90% of USB devices. That means nothing, other than nobody has put the device in the database. As long as it shows the device, it is "seen". To be used, it needs a driver.

I know nothing about the device that you are talking about. If it simply "keys in the data", the keyboard driver should handle it (I assume that the keyboard part works), although it may be necessary to tell the keyboard to use the keys from the reader (which eCS would have no idea how to do). If it is just a sub device of the keyboard, you will need to have a driver that will handle it. The data in the USBDock program, might shed some light on exactly what it is, that you are dealing with.

You may find some clues, if you look up how to use Bar Code readers with OS/2. I would think that it would be similar.

There is a thing called USB Extended Control Driver: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbecd20.zip, which gives you an interface to "unknown" USB devices. That might help you develop some REXX (or other programing language) to access the reader.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:40:51 pm »
From what I have been able to find out it would appear that it needs more software than just the usb keyboard driver .

The keyboard driver is just the interface between the device and the reader software and as far as I know there is no reader software for OS/2 eCS although IBM might have the software for some of their very large OS/2 clients.

The simple way to put the usb keyboard driver into your config.sys is to cut this DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS  and paste it into your config.sys with all the other usb lines.

If you were using OS/2 I would say that you should get a copy of usbres.wpi and usbhcd196.zip from hobbes, install usbres and update usbresmg.sys from the zip, but I understand that eCS has something that replaces usbres and is supposed to do the same job - giving details of attached usb devices.  Because I don't have eCS here I will have to leave that to others to say what it is [see Doug's reply]

Martin, is it possible to delete the second copy of this thread?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »
Hi. I removed the duplicated threads.

1) If this device works like a keyboard input on other OSes, maybe it should work on OS/2. I had seen that some magnetic card readers works just like a keyboard, then you swipe the card, it just like the keyboard is typing the characters on it. But I don't know about this device.

2) If it does not work as a keyboard input, we need an specific driver for it under the OS/2-eCS platform, which we don't have.

If you require this for a bank, maybe you can hire someone from the OS/2 community to help out, or even hire a driver developer. It will depend if the bank wants to invest to solve this issue.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.