OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

Cloning a drive

<< < (2/2)

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: christech on October 14, 2022, 07:40:38 pm ---Has anyone successfully cloned a drive to a larger drive with ArcaOS installed on it?...
--- End quote ---

Are you looking to preserve the ArcaOS and somehow "migrate" your existing app install over to that new ArcaOS partition?

If that's the case, well, you simply can't do that, not for probably vast majority of apps. Simply moving them over to the ArcaOS partition won't bring all the other settings that may have been stored in the OS/2 INI files (OS2SYS and OS2).

ArcaN was contemplating developing a migration path, but I'm fairly certain that is absolutely the lowest priority in terms of all the things they want to do.

Mo:
Hello,

years ago i used https://clonezilla.org/ to copy/clone entire HDD with multiple OS installations (OS2, Win, Linux) or partitions to a new (bigger) HDD. I remember it being very easy and fast.

Bests

Neil Waldhauer:
I do it a lot, since that's how I manufacture laptops and desktops.

I boot from ArcaOS media, and back up all drives. You back up anyway, right? I use zip version 3, with flags qryS to also copy links and system files.

Then I install the new drive, partition and restore using unzip version 6.

Not only does this give a lot of versatility on drive layout, but it tests my backup and restore capability.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on October 15, 2022, 03:40:12 pm ---I do it a lot, since that's how I manufacture laptops and desktops.

I boot from ArcaOS media, and back up all drives. You back up anyway, right? I use zip version 3, with flags qryS to also copy links and system files.

Then I install the new drive, partition and restore using unzip version 6.

Not only does this give a lot of versatility on drive layout, but it tests my backup and restore capability.

--- End quote ---

I agree, that this 9s the way to do it. I have done this many times, with good results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version