OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Building Qt5

<< < (4/13) > >>

David McKenna:
 I wonder if - on an OS/2 system used for compiling programs - eliminating DOS/Win support and running PROTECTONLY=YES would make any sense? Might free up some memory and even speed it up. Or does the compilation require DOS/Win support?

Dave Yeo:
I'll try with PROTECTONLY=YES, which IIRC, will by itself stop all the mdos/winos2 stuff loading. The build died this time with,

--- Code: ---cc1plus.exe: out of memory allocating 65536 bytes after a total of 65536 bytes
--- End code ---
This is getting quite frustrating, must have spent over 24 hours of actual compiling, though with the hangs etc it is hard to judge, obj directory is now 2GB, and this is a rel build, a debug probably would use more memory, but maybe not if less optimized.
It is hard to imagine doing much developing on the code if it takes a day to recompile and as this is my usual use machine, it also means not using it while compiling due to the tight memory. Of course this machine is a dozen years old so a newer fast machine would help. Still would be the memory problem and the way things go, the next update to the code is likely to use more memory.
The future does not look bright

Dave Yeo:
After adding the last prerequisites, removing the configure stuff to force a reconfiguration, setting PROTOCTONLY=YES, the build (release) succeeded, took 12+ hours. Haven't tested yet besides installing in my TMP, which is on my ramdisk.
Seems I only have 3.2 GB of ram accessible to the system, which might have been part of the reason for the swap file growth.

Dave Yeo:
Tesing, the Simplebrowser and Dooble both work and seem faster. Posting from Dooble.

ivan:
Hi Dave,

A quick question if I may.  Which of the thirty odd packages does one need to have a runtime like we have for Qt4?  Is it even possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version