OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

UEFI and GPT not developed by ArcaNoae - by whom else?

<< < (5/5)

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Sigurd Fastenrath on November 08, 2022, 11:17:41 am ---Hi Tom,

thank you very much for the explanation, my comment before was a bit misleading, sorry.

I mean I have no clue who is doing the work.

I do know what UEFI, Secure Boot and GPT means.

Thanks again!!!

--- End quote ---

My problem with doing a presentation on this topic was that I felt I could just NOT start with secure boot. Without explaining what UEFI and GPT do.
Part of this has todo with the fact that you have an ESP and what a UEFI loader is and what it does in the OS. Maybe that I made to complicated.

What we did at OS/2 VOICE was port 2 Linux tools to OS/2 that enable you to sign a UEFI binary with your own certificate. This is what Arca Noae has done. On a system that has key management in the UEFI BIOS menu you can import this cert and the system will then accept that UEFI binaries from Arca Noae.

Another tool that was created was to import the cert under ArcaOS if the UEFI BIOS menu does not provide this feature.

I primarly had this all of this created as I read that different things in Windows 11 MIGHT fail. Such as certain Windows updates. This was not clear at the time what that could be (I lost the link to that article). I myself also use Bitlocker on all my Windows 10 + 11 installations. And if you switch of secure boot Windows sometimes asks for your Bitlocker recovery key. I do not find that convient.

Its still being tested right now. All tools where ported from Linux and there for once finished will be put into a public repo on Github.com.

Roderick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version