OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

playing/convert AIFF and AIFC files: interest anyone ?

<< < (2/2)

Dave Yeo:
Preserving the metadata is another consideration, though it may not be currently preserved. Flac and ogg should also preserve the metadata, even when converting.

Remy:

--- Quote from: Lars on November 10, 2022, 04:45:57 pm ---The reason I was developing an IOProc is so that you can just double click a sound file to have it play (you do not need an application). Plus, if translation works both ways, you can convert to/from AIFF and AIFC respectively.

I would not know why AIFF would sound any better compared to WAV, provided the very same sample rate and bit depth is chosen (and the very same analog sound source material, of course). The data is exactly the same in both cases (it's plain PCM data). WAV saves it as little endian, AIFF saves it as big endian.

--- End quote ---

Been able to play AIFF under OS/2 is helpfull to check audio files quality and of course play audio under OS/2.
With USB audio, it may be nice to play audio files out of usb to a dac

e.g. ffprob of a wav track I just converted to AIFF including metadatas and front cover
        If this could be helpfull !

Metadata:
    genre           : Chanson
    album           : Le bal des oiseaux
    artist          : Thomas Fersen
    title           : Juillet
    track           : 3
    date            : 1993
    encoder         : Lavf58.29.100
  Duration: 00:03:04.80, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4625 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s24be, 96000 Hz, 2 channels, s32 (24 bit), 4608 kb/s

Stream #0:1: Video: png, rgb24(pc), 500x500 [SAR 1:1 DAR 1:1], 90k tbr, 90k
tbn, 90k tbc (attached pic)
    Metadata:
      title           : Album cover
      comment         : Cover (front)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version