Author Topic: Qt6 Development  (Read 210782 times)

Andy Willis

• View Profile
Re: Qt6
« Reply #285 on: December 27, 2022, 09:17:15 pm »
2) about some convenience macros (to access arguments), I think our port of NASM is too old to provide/support these.

Nasm shoud just build if a newer one is needed.
It requires a newer autoconf (2.71) than I have (2.69).  I had been building it for awhile but it has been about 2 years since I did (they even moved the repository not long after my last pull it seems). 
Tried building with OpenWatcom (which used to work here) but they changed things enough that I am getting a build error in a perl script.  I don't know if that is a problem in my Perl install, our Perl in general, or something wrong in their build.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 27, 2022, 09:20:13 pm »
FWIW - chromium builds NASM version 2.15.03rc6 and I did nothing to make it buiild...

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2022, 09:30:39 pm »
Hey Andy,

2) about some convenience macros (to access arguments), I think our port of NASM is too old to provide/support these.

Nasm shoud just build if a newer one is needed.
It requires a newer autoconf (2.71) than I have (2.69).  I had been building it for awhile but it has been about 2 years since I did (they even moved the repository not long after my last pull it seems). 
Tried building with OpenWatcom (which used to work here) but they changed things enough that I am getting a build error in a perl script.  I don't know if that is a problem in my Perl install, our Perl in general, or something wrong in their build.

I built the latest with GCC out of the box... https://smedley.id.au/tmp/nasm-2.16.01-os2-20221228.zip

Cheers,

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2022, 02:05:22 am »
Going by memory, this,
Code: [Select]
+%elifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,obj
+%define SECTION_RODATA section .data
should be something like
+%elifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,obj
+%define SECTION_RODATA section .data align=16 use32
Not sure about whether you need the align and it might need FLAT appended.
Look at Bitwise's libvpx port, IIRC x86inc.asm has the obj section, otherwise I can't remember offhand where I saw it.
BTW, YASM is NASM compatible so the switch shouldn't matter. The worse with using NASM when YASM was called for was the include lines, forget the specifics but could look them up, I think they had to end with a \

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2022, 02:36:06 am »
Thanks - I've changed to that and we'll see what happens. I had a look at https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libvpx-os2/blob/master/vpx_ports/x86_abi_support.asm and don't see any obj support - nor in KO's vpx repo..

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2022, 03:35:28 am »
Thanks Lars and Dave, I was starting to think I was talking to myself in here :)

Paul,
You are certainly NOT talking to yourself, rather the problem is that short of yourself and a few other folks (who are responding as they can) we simply do not have the skillset/know-how needed to contribute to move this forward.

I will say this: reading the posts - and I do read every one of them - does allow me to at least better understand the current situation we are in and in general become more aware of where the gaps exist!

So keep the descriptive updates coming please, they are greatly appreciated...and Thank You!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2022, 04:43:03 am »
Thanks - I've changed to that and we'll see what happens. I had a look at https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libvpx-os2/blob/master/vpx_ports/x86_abi_support.asm and don't see any obj support - nor in KO's vpx repo..

OK, it is the Mozilla's old VPX that has OMF support.
At the end of libvpx\vpx_ports\x86_abi_support.asm
%ifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,obj
%define SECTION_RODATA section .text
section .text align=16 use32 class=CODE
group CGROUP text
%endif
Also, same file, about line 23.
%elifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,win32
%define ABI_IS_32BIT 1
%elifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,obj
%define ABI_IS_32BIT 1
%else
%define ABI_IS_32BIT 0
%endif

And at the end of media\libvpx_config.asm
%elifidn __OUTPUT_FORMAT__,obj
%include "vpx_config_x86-os2-gcc.asm"
%endif

Here's the files, vpx_config_x86-os2-gcc.asm and vpx_config_x86-os2-gcc.c as well

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2022, 06:11:58 am »

It's been years since OpenWatcom could build nasm. They used to distribute an OS/2 version built with OW on nasm.us until it wouldn't build.
The assembler built with OW was subtly broken too. Used to run the FFmpeg FATE test suite and everything passed, then I started getting four H264 conformance test failures out of close to a hundred such tests, rebuilt nasm with GCC and those test failures cleared up.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2022, 08:37:03 am »
HI Dariusz,

So keep the descriptive updates coming please, they are greatly appreciated...and Thank You!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The forum really needs a way to 'react' to posts so at least people can show their interest - even if they have nothing to add to the conversation. I've spent WAY too much time on this so far, and it can be quite demoralising when almost nobody replies. Hardly anyone seems to have tested any of the binaries/ports for Qt6 that I've posted so far  :'(

Anyway, latest status as on 18:00 ADL time is there are about 5000 actions remaining, so ~80% done.

Cheers,

Paul

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 28, 2022, 10:33:42 am »
I follow such discussions too. I learn from the posts of the knowledge people here. I'm pretty sure there are more people out there like me who follow such discussions. So keep on posting. It's not useless to spread OS/2 specific porting knowledge to the world. Thank you all who share your findings/your code.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 28, 2022, 12:11:45 pm »
Hey Paul,

Of course I am following and trying the test programs too, but in case you are wondering you can look at the top of the page and get an idea how many views of the thread there have been... currently well over 12000!

Regards,

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2022, 02:06:35 pm »
I do follow these threads although I do not comment as I am not a programmer. I do want to state that I appreciate Paul's efforts and the efforts of others to keep OS/2 or Arca OS going. Like an old boss of mine used to say. "If you cant get it. Don't quit it.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »
Thanks, Paul, for attempting this port of QT6. It's inspiring how you have done this in a public way, so we can all follow along, even if we can't understand all the moving parts you must deal with for the port.

And thanks for the GCC port, which I can and do use. If anyone uses PMMail, it has made a big difference for that program to be compiled with a newer version.

Of course, others helped, particularly dmik at bitwise, for some parts, and for eveyone who tested and helped.

Happy New Year to you all.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2022, 07:09:24 pm »
HI Dariusz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The forum really needs a way to 'react' to posts so at least people can show their interest - even if they have nothing to add to the conversation. I've spent WAY too much time on this so far, and it can be quite demoralising when almost nobody replies. Hardly anyone seems to have tested any of the binaries/ports for Qt6 that I've posted so far  :'(

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

Since I am only familiar with programming in assembler (though I have become quite rusty because of lack of time), following what you and others achieve in C(++), Python and other ilk is beyond my capabilities. I only admire it from a distance, but appreciate it very much nonetheless. So don't take my silence for lack of interest!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2022, 10:10:12 pm »
Thanks guys, appreciate the messages and the interest. Quick update - I started getting some system hangs whilst building last night. I recalled that I previously had issues with this machine (Thinkcentre M73P) when building parallel jobs and the system was rebooting. I read the acpi FAQ this morning, particularly the note about disabling hyperthreading - which I've worked out how to do in the BIOS. I've now gone from 4x cores to 2x, but the build is back to running and hasn't hung yet :)

~3500 actions to go in this particular task