OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Creating an OS/2 image from HDD

(1/4) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I haven't done this in a long time, not with DFSee, and I'm not a DFsee power user, so I'm asking for help.

There is a person that have an OS/2 Warp 4 (HPFS) IDE hard drive, and I want him to take a image of the main OS/2 partition.
He does not have OS/2 anymore, but he can connect the IDE drive to Window.

I want to recommend him to use DFSee, connect the IDE HDD to Windows and create an image of the drive (Using DFSee for Windows). But I'm not sure of the following.

1) Is it ok if he takes the image from the IDE HPFS HDD, while he is on Windows? or does he need to boot DFSee with an USB flash memory?
2) Which format does DFSee uses to create images?
3) Is there any special recommendation on the settings on DFSee to create that image?
4) Once I get the image, is there any way to browse inside it to take some specific files, instead of restoring the partition somewhere?

I'm posting some images of what I see on DFSee, but it is the first time I will be using DFSee for this.

Regards

ivan:
Hi Martin,

You are on your own with anything in vBox (doesn't work on my OS/2 machines) but if it is a real hard drive making an image of a single partition or whole disk with DFSee just works assuming it is from - to another real hard disk.  In fact that is how I cloned most of my OS/2 machines.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Ivan

This is not a VM, it is real hardware.

Regards

ivan:
Hi Martin,

Sorry I was mislead by your second picture which had a vBox mentioned.

In that real hardware case there should not be any problems.

Neil Waldhauer:
I didn't see anyone answer your specific questions, so here goes:

1. According to the docs, it is just fine to attach the drive to Windows. Don't let Windows format anything. DFSee should work.
2. DFSee will back the drive up to some IMZ format. I do not know if this is a published format.
3. If handling >2TB files is an issue, let DFSee break the data into <2TB pieces. I also use smart backup, but check if it works.
4. You can browse the backup for sure, but I think you can also browse the hard drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version