Author Topic: Dialog Enhancer '99  (Read 4463 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Dialog Enhancer '99
« on: November 26, 2022, 06:35:45 pm »
Hi

Just for the fun of it I want to try to install "Dialog Enhancer '99" on a ArcaOS test VM.  But I can not get the installer to work for this file "DialogEnhancer99_2-00g.zip". The installer says it misses some files that are right there.

Also, I guess that later I can use "DialogEnhancer99_pack_6-00g.zip" to update it. It has a "UPDATE.DAT" binary that I have no idea how to use yet.

Any ideas on how to install and update this software?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Dialog Enhancer '99
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 06:37:47 pm »
Ohh, silly me. Now I get it. You need to combine both files, and the installer will work.

Now I want to see how it works, I don't see any dialog change according to the screenshots.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:43:20 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 07:03:26 pm »
IIRC Dialog Enhancer was incorporated into the eCS and AN desktops.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 08:05:56 pm »
IIRC Dialog Enhancer was incorporated into the eCS and AN desktops.

Yes, on ArcaOS there exists \install\dialoag\ORG_EN.ZIP. IIRC it was DIALOG.ZIP on eCS. Both files hold the original resources from before the processing.

Don't remember the licensing, but it may be that eCS used a light version of Dialog Enhancer. But even if that's true, the dialogs received so much updates in the meantime that nobody wants to go back. Just ask Alex for details.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 12:41:05 am »
Dialog Enhancer 99 is compatible with Warp 4.  It should not be considered compatible with either eCS or ArcaOS. Installing it on either system will break certain functionality.

eCS licensed and integrated an updated version of Dialog Enhancer which is properly compatible with that system.

ArcaOS does not include Dialog Enhancer per se, but rather a newly-designed set of dialog enhancements specifically intended for it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 02:16:12 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Alex.

I installed DE (Pack File 7.00b (OS/2)) on a ArcaOS 5.0.7 VM (Just for testing). It installed, but it didn't show anything good. It changed the icons, that is the only thing I can see. I didn't find anything interesting (remember it was my first time using Dialog Enhancer '99). Uninstall worked perfectly so I had reverted back without issues.

So, I guess I will move on since I didn't find the useful thing on this software. But if someone is still using it, feedback is also welcome.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

andreas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 04:07:34 pm »
wouldn't it be a good idea to implement some sort of a score for all programs (not only this one) in hobbes like
- recommended for everybody
- useful/recommended only for os/2 vers. .../ ecs vers. .. / ArCAOS vers. ... or later/or earlier versions
- only recommended for exceptional usage/better solutions available

i know this will be a lot of work. but i see that you are testing a lot of software and i think others might be
grateful for wasting time on useless software.

an other way might be that everybody could add some comments to each program for hints, warnings, better alternatives etc.