OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

JFS failing in a disastrous way - without the user knowing

<< < (8/8)

Andi B.:
Sorry to hear that. This ticket was from 2017 and dealt with the very same problem. But there it leads to a trap when reading DVDs. It's closed since a long time. I commented there back then. Maybe that's the reason why I see it. I don't want to copy text from there but the bottom line is - it would be good if the original CPUTEMP warpin package would have been tested better. But people make mistakes. The problems with this package are 1) it deletes UNICODE.SYS and 2) it puts rdmsr.sys at the top of config.sys. It should be better places after the IFS lines.

Unfortunately wic -t does not test such failures in a package. But a modified CPUTEMP package should be available from here - ftp://digi.os2.snc.ru/pub/SystemLoad/CPUTemp-20170504-2.zip. Mind I didn't test this. Use it on your own risk! Or search for the latest AND remember to check what an installer does with your config.sys.

By the way - this is a very good example that's not always a good idea to save old versions of packages/drivers...

I think it's not a big problem to copy this one sentence from the ticket - 'The only way for traps to never happen is for humans to never make
mistakes.'

Lars:
Being an OS/2 user is a little bit like being a drug addict:
you know that it's bad for your health but you just can't let go.

Andi B.:
Completely agree with you Lars ;-)

One note I want to add here - since a while I always check my config.sys (diff) after some installer wanted to change it. There are so many installers which changes libpath and/or path. At least since all these ported software luckily we have, it's a big problem when some installers put something in front of the %unixroot% entries.

Digi:

--- Quote from: Andi B. on December 03, 2022, 05:09:59 pm ---it would be good if the original CPUTEMP warpin package would have been tested better

--- End quote ---

This issue was fixed a long time ago, right after the first reported problem. I recommend using the latest CPUTemp from the SystemLoad package: http://os2.snc.ru/product-SystemLoad.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version