OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

JFS failing in a disastrous way - without the user knowing

<< < (2/8) > >>

Remy:

--- Quote from: Lars on November 30, 2022, 01:01:18 pm ---...
Subsequently it turned out that not only "Arbeitsoberfläche" had been "renamed" disastrously but also all OTHER DIRECTORIES below "Arbeitsoberfläche" that contained umlauts (yes there are quite a few directories below the "Desktop" directory ...).

For each of the affected directories, I had to hop back and forth between giving them an intermediate name like "Arbeitsoberflxxxx" and "Arbeitsoberfläche" to force the proper directory name (intermediate reboots required). After multiple reboots and some traps I was finally able to restore the partition to an acceptable state, but I had to recreate quite a few directories under the "Desktop" directory and move things to their proper place.

I think it would at least be helpful if JFS.IFS would, ideally already on bootup, report a warning if it fails in using UNICODE.SYS services instead of reporting nothing. That would have pointed me to the problem and would have saved me hours of work.
(I can understand that JFS.IFS will need to be able to continue nonetheless because otherwise you would not be able to fix the config.sys file and readd the UNICODE.SYS load entry ...).

This behaviour is surely an absolute NOGO for a new user (unless you only accept english speakers or people using the US/UK NLS version as new users).

--- End quote ---

Hi,

I had a similar issue after installing Lotus office program in French.
All directories having characters with accent where lost.
I have DFSee and with the help of the developper, I could find bad directories and correct them without use of a backup system.

In my case, they was a problem with unicode and my issue arrived after having put duplicated folder into the trash cam.

Of course, warning message would be nice in case of language with accent chars.   

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on November 30, 2022, 05:34:04 pm ---I ran into the same issue, excepting with a English install, there were just some MP3's with umlauts. In my case everything was fine, including the umlaut files being fine, until I booted to a different install, where those file names became garbage (actually I forget if it was umlauts or other special characters). Took a while to figure out it was a missing unicode.sys and once I did figure it out, I renamed the problem files without unicode.sys installed.
This is a known problem that was reported to Digi long ago and he fixed the problematic CONFIGSYS="DEVICE=?:\OS2\rdmsr.sys | UNIQUE" line, which upon not finding rdmr.sys, replaced the first line containing .sys, usually unicode.sys. There's an issue, but it is private. Remy filed it. Unluckily it was quite a while before it was uploaded to Hobbes.

--- End quote ---

Hi

Dave. I didn't get right if the bug on WarpIn was fixed or not?
Lars, was this an specific version of WarpIn, or was it with the latest one (1.0.26)?

Regards

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I quickly installed "CPUTemp_wdgt_1-1-0.zip" with Warpin 1.0.24 (ArcaOS 5.0.6) and I confirm it removed UNICODE.SYS from my config.sys.

Reverted everything, upgraded to WarpIn 1.0.26 and I got the same thing. UNICODE.SYS gets removed.

I also don't see anything strange on the CPUTEMP WarpIn script, just the "CONFIGSYS="DEVICE=?:\OS2\rdmsr.sys | UNIQUE" which should not remove UNICODE.SYS.

Should it be reported as WarpIn bug?

Regards

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I just find out (thanks to this thread) that Digi updated the CPUTemp plugin to version 1.1.2 on the "System Load" package.
I think he uses a different script to try to avoid this bug:
 EXECUTE="CONFIGSYS | $(102)\drvins.cmd | -d ?:\ -f $(102)\rdmsr.sys -i 1"
 DEEXECUTE="$(102)\drvins.cmd | -d ?:\ -f $(102)\rdmsr.sys -i 0"

Anyways, I think I will be removing "CPUTemp_wdgt_1-1-0.zip" from hobbes, because System Load has a newer version.

Regards

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on November 30, 2022, 08:31:31 pm ---Hi

I quickly installed "CPUTemp_wdgt_1-1-0.zip" with Warpin 1.0.24 (ArcaOS 5.0.6) and I confirm it removed UNICODE.SYS from my config.sys.

Reverted everything, upgraded to WarpIn 1.0.26 and I got the same thing. UNICODE.SYS gets removed.

I also don't see anything strange on the CPUTEMP WarpIn script, just the "CONFIGSYS="DEVICE=?:\OS2\rdmsr.sys | UNIQUE" which should not remove UNICODE.SYS.

Should it be reported as WarpIn bug?

Regards

--- End quote ---

Warpin is working as it should based on discussion on the testers list. What happens is if rdmsr.sys is not installed, it matches up with the first *.sys in config.sys and replaces that with rdmsr.sys. Usually it is unicode.sys at the top of config.sys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version