Author Topic: re-installing SeaMonkey  (Read 5360 times)

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
re-installing SeaMonkey
« on: December 15, 2022, 05:24:58 am »
Hi,

I am using ArcaOS 5.0.7.

I think I screwed up SeaMonkey by removing some files or maybe even when I changed from i686 to pentium4.   Now when I run SeaMonkey, it'd give me an error:   "Couldn't load XPCOM".

How do I re-install it?

I took a look at Computer->Install/Remove and tried "installed Features", "Add Programs", "Selective Install",
"Selective Uninstall" and "Selective Install for Networking".

I don't see "SeaMonkey" mentioned in any of those options.   I looked at the contents of the ANPM
and couldn't find the "seamonkey" package(which kinda makes sense).

Then I took a gander at the Readme.txt file and found that the SeaMonkey file was part of ArcaOS,
and then I found it in the mozilla directory..  a zip file named "SEAMNKY.zip" which explains why
I couldn't find it using "seamonkey".  (Silly me.)

So I went and unzipped the seamnky.zip file to c:\programs.

Still, it gives me the same error when I ran SeaMonkey.

Now, I'm stumped and any help appreciated.

Thanks

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: re-installing SeaMonkey
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 06:10:59 am »
"Couldn't load XPCOM" is a generic message for a missing DLL or dependency. You can test by trying to fire up Firefox and see if it runs, they have the same dependencies. To reinstall, being the same version, just unzip over the install in \programs, or delete it and unzip in the same location.
The ISO version has likely been renamed for 8.3 naming

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 10:39:31 am »
"Couldn't load XPCOM" is a generic message for a missing DLL or dependency. You can test by trying to fire up Firefox and see if it runs, they have the same dependencies. To reinstall, being the same version, just unzip over the install in \programs, or delete it and unzip in the same location.
The ISO version has likely been renamed for 8.3 naming

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in response.  Only just managed to figure out how to change platforms.   After changing
platforms,  I can't run any of the applications from Mozilla.. (Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey).  All give
me "Couldn't load XPCOM".  I had deleted the SeaMonkey folder and extracted the seamnky.zip to
c:\desktop\programs\Installed Software\SeaMonkey. 

Then I ran "seamonkey.exe".

After changing platforms, I had rebooted.  I'm wondering if changing the platform messed up something along the
way?   Or I missed a step somewhere.     Or is it possible that the files in seamnky.zip is platform dependent(
grabbing at straws right now... no clue how to debug this.)

Thanks

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:04:41 am by Edmund Wong »

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 11:09:22 am »
Addendum:  I noticed the RPM_REQUIREMENTS and think my issue might be missing rpm requirements.. currently working on this.

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 02:30:33 am »
I've installed all the required RPMs as listed in the RPM_REQUIREMENTS and unfortunately, I still get the "Couldn't load XPCOM".

I have deleted the whole SeaMonkey directory and extracted it back on to the same dir.  Same response. 

I deleted the whole SeaMonkey directory and extracted the SEAMNKY.zip file to a different directory (C:\Desktop\SeaMonkey).
Still the same issue.

To summarize the steps:

1) Changed platform to pentium4
2) Ran SeaMonkey.
3) Got "Couldn't Load XPCOM"
4) Installed all packages listed in RPM_REQUIREMENTS
  (kinda surprised that it worked before as I didn't have those packages installed.)
5) Still get the message "Couldn't load XPCOM"

(This also applies to Firefox and Thunderbird)

6) I set MOZILLA_HOME=c:\desktop\seamonkey   no difference.
7) I compared the compressed file list and the uncompressed directory list and the file count is the same,
   so I'm not missing anything.

I'm a bit stumped here and would appreciate any help.  Would changing platforms screw something up?

Thanks

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 04:04:18 am »
Sorry, thought I sent this earlier.

Addendum:  I noticed the RPM_REQUIREMENTS and think my issue might be missing rpm requirements.. currently working on this.

Likely libvpx-legacy-4. If not we'll have to install some diagnostic programs. How hard is it to get files into your virtual machine? I take it you don't have shared folders.
Edit: ps MOZILLA_HOME is where the profiles live, MOZ_PLUG_PATH is where plugins live, not that many work anymore.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:07:28 am by Dave Yeo »

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 04:25:45 am »
Likely libvpx-legacy-4. If not we'll have to install some diagnostic programs. How hard is it to get files into your virtual machine? I take it you don't have shared folders.
Edit: ps MOZILLA_HOME is where the profiles live, MOZ_PLUG_PATH is where plugins live, not that many work anymore.

Bingo!   It was libvpx-legacy-4 that did the trick!  Thanks Dave!

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 05:24:58 am »
You might want to install ffmpeg-legacy-56 for more multimedia support. It is not required but adds support for various things like mp3's

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 10:23:57 am »
You might want to install ffmpeg-legacy-56 for more multimedia support. It is not required but adds support for various things like mp3's

Thanks for the suggestion.  Just installed that. 

Edmund