Author Topic: Changing Platforms on RPM (i686 to Pentium4)  (Read 7000 times)

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
Changing Platforms on RPM (i686 to Pentium4)
« on: December 15, 2022, 08:35:59 am »
From the "upgrading python2.." thread, Dave Yeo mentioned the following method to change platform:

1) cd \usr\lib
2) unlock *dll

Then I created c:\tmpx

3) mv var c:\tmpx
4) mv etc c:\tmpx
5) mv usr c:\tmpx

Unfortunately, #5 gave me an error stating that there were some files still opened.

I then rebooted and then opened ANPM and naturally the repository list is empty. 

This leads me to believe that I had misunderstood the instructions.   I had thought that
after moving all those paths, ANPM would 'bootstrap' the package installation/recovery
process; but it just gives me a blank list.

I apologize for being so dense.  I can't reproduce my earlier success in changing platforms. ;/

Edmund

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 09:55:17 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
Re: Changing platforms
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 08:55:39 am »
Another thing I did was to remove the i686 platform from the list of platforms.

Then I assumed that ANMP would automatically uninstall the i686 packages and install the pentium4 versions;
but that's not what it did.    While I can select each individual i686 package and "Get specific release" and
then select the pentium4 version,  doing this for each package manually is a little tedious. 

I am guessing I missed a detail somewhere.   

Edmund

Edit: I selected all packages and ran "Update" in hopes it'd change the i686 packages to pentium4; and it looks
like it's actually changing i686 -> pentium4... (fingers crossed).

Additional edit:  Nope, that's not what happened.   Just updated some packages and that's all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 09:17:28 am by Edmund Wong »

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 09:49:15 am »
After fiddling around with the system, I did the following:

C:\] uname -a

OS/2 kwhale 1 2.45 i386 i386 GenuineIntel OS/2

Is this supposed to be correct?  I installed ArcaOS on a ESXi6.0 system's VM (version 11 VM).  I followed
the wiki on installing on VM (albeit, it mentions 6.5...  but it 'shouldn't matter' right?)

Thanks

Edmund

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 03:40:16 pm »
As far as VMWare ESXi6.0, their support ended long ago. Version 4 worked great. But I think that isn't the problem.

using mv, uname, etc -- these commands are all from \usr directories, so at least mv should fail. OS/2 native commands might have worked, but the sure way to move locked files is to boot from alternate media. You can boot from the install .ISO, go to system maintenance, and manipulate things as you like.

Platform should be pentium4 then i686. I might be wrong, but I haven't found any need to uninstall any i686 items.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 03:55:45 pm »
After fiddling around with the system, I did the following:

C:\] uname -a

OS/2 kwhale 1 2.45 i386 i386 GenuineIntel OS/2

Is this supposed to be correct?  I installed ArcaOS on a ESXi6.0 system's VM (version 11 VM).  I followed
the wiki on installing on VM (albeit, it mentions 6.5...  but it 'shouldn't matter' right?)

Thanks

Edmund

Uname has some basically hard coded stuff in it (supposed to be updated to i686 at some point but hasn't happened)
Code: [Select]
D:\>uname -a
OS/2 ARCAOS-44454C4 1 2.45 i386 i386 GenuineIntel OS/2

As Neil said, using mv while moving it is going to fail. The Platform does have to be set, I don't think it will set itself. It generally doesn't matter if you have a mix of packages though very occasionally an update can break.
How used to OS/2 are you?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 10:08:55 pm »
Hi Edmund

I would like some context, since it seems that you posted it on a different thread.
For what I see you have ArcaOS and you want to install phyton 3.

I think we should start by trying to get understand your system first.

1) Run "Testlog Generic" and upload the log file. (Download TestLog here)

2) There are two RPMs repos in Netlabs, release and experimental.
  - http://rpm.netlabs.org/experimental/00/i386/pentium4/
  - http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/i386/pentium4/
For what I see phyton3 is on the experimental RPM.
Here are my instructions to install the experimental RPM in case you haven't done that.

3) Changing i686 to pentium4 platform. I did a crazy experiment to change everything possible to "pentium4", but my technique is not fully recommend. This procedure is very "agresive" since I'm completely replacing /usr directory and reinstalling everything with pentium4. I don't recommend doing this on a critical productive system and it is under your own risk.
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/RPM:_Switching_from_i686_to_Pentium4
And also for what I know it is not necessary to replace all i686 packages for Pentium4.

I hope this can give you some hints, or maybe I didn't understand anything of what you want to do.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:22:18 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Changing Platforms on RPM (i686 to Pentium4)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 11:12:33 pm »
Hi again.

And I would also like to quote myself from this thread: "i686 vs Pentium 4"

According to what I had read between lines on some posts (haven't found any official post, instruction or suggestion), the "right" procedure is to change os2-base to pentium4, do not worry about mixing i686 with pentium4 packages and that's all. If someone is experiencing some problems please post the error.

This is what it is supposed to be done, but it will not change automatically your packaged to pentium4.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 01:50:31 am »
As Neil said, using mv while moving it is going to fail. The Platform does have to be set, I don't think it will set itself. It generally doesn't matter if you have a mix of packages though very occasionally an update can break.
How used to OS/2 are you?

I used OS/2 Warp about 20+ years ago, and since I haven't touched OS/2 since then (I had attempted to install
eComstation some ten years back, but couldn't get it setup),  I suspect I've forgotten everything (or too used
to the Windows way of thinking). 

So you can say I'm a "new user". 

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 02:06:20 am »
Hi Edmund

I would like some context, since it seems that you posted it on a different thread.
For what I see you have ArcaOS and you want to install phyton 3.

Hi Martin,

At this point in time, I'm working on getting the system to pentium4.  Will need to come back to the
python issue later.
3) Changing i686 to pentium4 platform. I did a crazy experiment to change everything possible to "pentium4", but my technique is not fully recommend. This procedure is very "agresive" since I'm completely replacing /usr directory and reinstalling everything with pentium4. I don't recommend doing this on a critical productive system and it is under your own risk.
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/RPM:_Switching_from_i686_to_Pentium4
And also for what I know it is not necessary to replace all i686 packages for Pentium4.

Thank you for the link!   Since this isn't a production system, I guess I can use your process to
"fix" the system.   That said, I downloaded the 1.0.7 ANPM, but after installing it,  the
Product Information still shows "Version 1.0" with the following Copyright info:

(C)2015-2021 Alexander Taylor.

I clicked on that link to the new 1.0.7 ANPM file, and ran the install.  Created a desktop object.
At first I ran the one in the System Setup menu bar and it showed "Version 1.0"
so I assumed it was the old one so I went to the desktop ANPM folder  and ran that binary.
Still showed Version 1.0.   I'm now confused.

Sorry for being so dense.

Edmund

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 02:36:52 am »
...the Product Information still shows "Version 1.0" ....
Yes, that is a little mistake of version 1.0.7, you have version 1.0.7 installed, do not worry.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 02:55:02 am »
I followed the link: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/RPM:_Switching_from_i686_to_Pentium4 and
came across two issues [probably both of which were PEBCAK]:

1) the REXX script wouldn't run.   just kept on stating "There are no more files. C:\desktop\.cmd"

So I opted to use python:

import os
import subprocess

cmd = ['yum', 'list']
cmdproc = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

s_out, s_err = cmdproc.communicate()
pkg_list = s_out.split("\n")

items = []
for item in pkg_list:
    if "install" in item:
        tmp = [x.strip() for x in item.split(" ") if x.strip()]
        items.append(tmp[0])

tstr = "yum install -y " + " ".join(items)

fp = open("out.txt", "w")
fp.write(tstr + "\n")
fp.close()

Which achieves the same purpose.   It's been a long time since I've touched a REXX script
and even then, I didn't do much so opted to use something I know.

2) After killing the CUPSD,   it still wouldn't let me move /usr to /usr-old.   I took a look at
    the top list and there are no programs from /usr/bin.     

I'm probably going to regret this but I'm going to reboot the system and see how much
I've fubard it :P

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 03:33:18 am »
Before rebooting, or after if you can read this and fubared things, Open the Drives Object, right click on your drive, probably C:, then double click on config.sys. Should open in the editor.
Add C:\usrold\lib (or wherever you moved the DLLs that were in \usr\lib) to the LIBPATH line. Add them right after C:\usr\lib (don't worry about case) and once again reboot.
This should make libc etc usable otherwise anything compiled with GCC will be broken.
Once things are working, you can remove the entry from LIBPATH.
Edit: Make sure line wrapping is off in the editor, eg you have a horizontal scroll bar.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:34:59 am by Dave Yeo »

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 02:27:16 am »
I have finally figured out how to get AnPM to 'bootstrap'. 

I followed the process in the "Switching to pentium4 platform" wiki but something someone mentioned here is that
instead of using the cmd prompt, I used the "Drives object" to rename the paths and that's what allowed me to
proceed. 

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 03:17:08 am »
Can I suggest that you install File Commander, http://silk.apana.org.au/fc.html. Doesn't use libc and a great file manager similar to Midnight Commander. Makes things like renaming directories much easier, has a decent editor etc. The beta is pretty stable too, it is what I use, it's under the "Development progress" link.
Shareware but non-nagging.