OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Any one know what current crop of Intel or AMD processors work in ARCA OS?

(1/6) > >>

Eugene Tucker:
Just trying out a B450 with a AMD 2700 and no go. It wont even boot the intstal stick. So any suggestion of hardware to get and any suggestions that could get this puppy working, but I have my doubts on that. Thank you in advance.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Eugene.

Which motherboard are your trying with the AMD 2700?  Because Ihave reports of the "AMD Ryzen 7 2700" working ArcaOS.
- Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
- ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0

For what I see some changes on the BIOS were required:
- UEFI CSM = Enabled
- Secure Boot = Disabled.

Regards

Eugene Tucker:
Thanks Martin it is a ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING by ASUS. And I did engage CSM and disabled the UEFI.Thank you for the response.I will look for those boards if I can't get it working.

ivan:
I have a MSI B550-A PRO with a Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G working with no problems,

Just a thought, many of these later boards run USB2 through a USB3 pass through chip so you may need to change your stick to use USB3 rather than the default USB2.

Edit to add.  I just remembered that I have an ASRock B450M Pro4 with a Ryzen processor as a backup test unit.

Dave Yeo:
Most all CPU's should work fine with ArcaOS, the exception being the most recent Intel CPU's that use big and little cores. They work but very slow.
Problems will be in the BIOS and some can be worked around. Mostly memory, mainly video, it needs to use as little as possible. Of course hyper-threading (and likely the AMD equivalent) needs to be disabled, though that shouldn't affect install as only one core is enabled then.
Some really new motherboards also put the video frame buffer above 4GB's. Won't work with a 32 bit OS.
So basically look in the BIOS to shrink memory, especially video memory. And hope the ACPI tables aren't broken badly. Sometimes opening an issue can get results such as ACPI workarounds.
And of course not booting the stick points to USB problems, look in the BIOS for any options to play with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version