Author Topic: Any one know what current crop of Intel or AMD processors work in ARCA OS?  (Read 14488 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Just trying out a B450 with a AMD 2700 and no go. It wont even boot the intstal stick. So any suggestion of hardware to get and any suggestions that could get this puppy working, but I have my doubts on that. Thank you in advance.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Any one know what current crop of Intel or AMD processors work in ARCA OS?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 11:38:11 pm »
Hi Eugene.

Which motherboard are your trying with the AMD 2700?  Because Ihave reports of the "AMD Ryzen 7 2700" working ArcaOS.
- Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
- ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0

For what I see some changes on the BIOS were required:
- UEFI CSM = Enabled
- Secure Boot = Disabled.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 11:40:27 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:21:10 am »
Thanks Martin it is a ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING by ASUS. And I did engage CSM and disabled the UEFI.Thank you for the response.I will look for those boards if I can't get it working.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 07:02:20 am »
I have a MSI B550-A PRO with a Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G working with no problems,

Just a thought, many of these later boards run USB2 through a USB3 pass through chip so you may need to change your stick to use USB3 rather than the default USB2.

Edit to add.  I just remembered that I have an ASRock B450M Pro4 with a Ryzen processor as a backup test unit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 07:12:12 am by ivan »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 07:26:06 am »
Most all CPU's should work fine with ArcaOS, the exception being the most recent Intel CPU's that use big and little cores. They work but very slow.
Problems will be in the BIOS and some can be worked around. Mostly memory, mainly video, it needs to use as little as possible. Of course hyper-threading (and likely the AMD equivalent) needs to be disabled, though that shouldn't affect install as only one core is enabled then.
Some really new motherboards also put the video frame buffer above 4GB's. Won't work with a 32 bit OS.
So basically look in the BIOS to shrink memory, especially video memory. And hope the ACPI tables aren't broken badly. Sometimes opening an issue can get results such as ACPI workarounds.
And of course not booting the stick points to USB problems, look in the BIOS for any options to play with.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 03:17:39 pm »
Good pieces of advice but the bios is so confusing. I am going to have to go through trial and error. Or I could just order the ASRock mainboard and swap it out.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Most all CPU's should work fine with ArcaOS, the exception being the most recent Intel CPU's that use big and little cores. They work but very slow.
Problems will be in the BIOS and some can be worked around. Mostly memory, mainly video, it needs to use as little as possible.

That is interesting and I would like to add my experience with OS/2 and ArcaOs inside Virtualbox on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 10th Generation with an Intel core i7 12th Generation, that is almost the same as Dave writes: The System is very slow, installations of OS/2 Warp usually crash while the second phase of installation - the graphical one - starts.
An ArcaOS 5-.07 Installation went through but is slow, due to problems with the graphic rendering I would guess.

So even in Virtual machines the support for OS/2 - ArcaOS is getting worse, unfortunately.
It may need an updated gradd or panorama or SNAP, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 01:44:19 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
Hi Eugene,

One thing I forgot to mention.  I have never tried using USB to install any OS/2 - ArcaOS, I always use a DVD drive.  It may take a little more work but a SATA DVD drive always works even if you have to get long cables and pass them through port at the back of the case.  I now have one from a defunct  laptop that I put in a case equipped with long SATA and power cables.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Problems will be in the BIOS and some can be worked around. Mostly memory, mainly video, it needs to use as little as possible. Of course hyper-threading (and likely the AMD equivalent) needs to be disabled, though that shouldn't affect install as only one core is enabled then.
Some really new motherboards also put the video frame buffer above 4GB's. Won't work with a 32 bit OS.
So basically look in the BIOS to shrink memory, especially video memory. And hope the ACPI tables aren't broken badly. Sometimes opening an issue can get results such as ACPI workarounds.
And of course not booting the stick points to USB problems, look in the BIOS for any options to play with.

Computers where devices such have a 64 MMIO address, these regions can remapped by the upcoming ArcaOS 5.1.0. Note only the UEFI loader does this. But this is also only needed when a CSM is not present. As when booted in CSM mode this type of remapping is not needed.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Problems will be in the BIOS and some can be worked around. Mostly memory, mainly video, it needs to use as little as possible.

That is interesting and I would like to add my experience with OS/2 and ArcaOs inside Virtualbox on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 10th Generation with an Intel core i7 12th Generation, that is almost the same as Dave writes: The System is very slow, installations of OS/2 Warp usually crash while the second phase of installation - the graphical one - starts.
An ArcaOS 5-.07 Installation went through but is slow, due to problems with the graphic rendering I would guess.

So even in Virtual machines the support for OS/2 - ArcaOS is getting worse, unfortunately.

What version of Virtualbox is are you using Sigurd ? Currently there are issue's with Virtualbox 7. Note Virtualbox broke some things and from what I understand this is being looked into. Switching on SMP support with Virtualbox 7 makes ArcaOS extremely. This happens on Windows and Linux host systems. Workaround if go back to Virtualbox 6 for now or run Virtualbox 7 with only one CPU core.

I do not know what these issue's have on other versions of OS/2.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 06:29:14 pm »

BTW when loading GRADD drivers on Warp 3 or Warp 4 you, need to have a to apply a certain level of base OS fixpak for GRADD to work.

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 07:46:57 pm »
Hi Roderick,

the picture may be a bit misleading, even if it looks like Warp 3 it is ArcaOS 5.07.
If I remember correctly GRADD needs Warp 4 FP 5 and Warp 3 FP35.
The Virtualbox Version is the current Version 7.0x, Windows 11 Pro 64bit.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 08:50:44 pm »
Curent Virtualbox 7 is kaput. THe SMP support was broken in Virtualbox switch 7. Switch back to 1 CPU if you are running more then one CPU core.
I seem to recall a ticket was created @virtualbox to look into this.

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 08:57:07 pm »
The Installation is with one core only.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 09:29:54 pm »
Curent Virtualbox 7 is kaput. THe SMP support was broken in Virtualbox switch 7. Switch back to 1 CPU if you are running more then one CPU core.
I seem to recall a ticket was created @virtualbox to look into this.

This is not entirely true. I spun up an AOS 5.07 VM a day or two ago in Vbox 7 under linux, with 4 cores and SMP kernel, and it's running fine....

Not saying there aren't some cases of people having issues, but to say SMP support is broken is false.