Author Topic: Any one know what current crop of Intel or AMD processors work in ARCA OS?  (Read 14481 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Any one know what current crop of Intel or AMD processors work in ARCA OS?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 04:14:13 am »
First I want to thank all you who replied! A note to Ivan I used the USB stick to  install the NVME for the hard drive. As the have not put it in the ISO. I know I could edit that but to edit the USB stick is much faster and easier. I got it going by the way.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 07:51:43 am »
Curent Virtualbox 7 is kaput. THe SMP support was broken in Virtualbox switch 7. Switch back to 1 CPU if you are running more then one CPU core.
I seem to recall a ticket was created @virtualbox to look into this.

This is not entirely true. I spun up an AOS 5.07 VM a day or two ago in Vbox 7 under linux, with 4 cores and SMP kernel, and it's running fine....

Not saying there aren't some cases of people having issues, but to say SMP support is broken is false.

Interesting you running 7.04 of Virtyalbix ? Enabling two cores testlog generic command takes 30 seconds in my windows 11 system. Run 1 core 3 seconds. Rich Dunkle with windows as the host is reported omethjng simuliar.

Roderick

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 08:58:47 am »
Vbox 7.04 under Ubuntu 22.10 - testlog generic takes about 3-4 seconds to run. AOS 5.0.7 running with 4x core.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 01:36:54 pm »
And the difference between Paul's and Roderick's result is down to Paul using a real OS and Roderick using a pretend OS which gathers personnel information for those that would try and rule the world.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 01:58:03 pm »
I seem to remember that starting with Virtual box 7 under a Windows host, you need to explicitly disable the Windows built-in hypervisor (obviously the Vidtualbox hypervisor implementation and the Windows one get in each other's way). As always, you'll need to find out how to do that and on my system it did not work (the Virtualbox Log still complained that the Windows hypervisor was still active).
Working with more than one core in the guest has never worked for me but I am still using eCS. I don't know if ArcaOS would make a difference. The problem is that multiple cores appear to work ok but after a while, the system(guest) gets confused and hangs eventually. That always happened when I was doing a compile with the old MS 16-bit compiler (run from multiple makefiles).

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 02:50:00 pm »
And the difference between Paul's and Roderick's result is down to Paul using a real OS and Roderick using a pretend OS which gathers personnel information for those that would try and rule the world.

Thanks for the constructive dialog....

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 02:56:19 pm »
I seem to remember that starting with Virtual box 7 under a Windows host, you need to explicitly disable the Windows built-in hypervisor (obviously the Vidtualbox hypervisor implementation and the Windows one get in each other's way). As always, you'll need to find out how to do that and on my system it did not work (the Virtualbox Log still complained that the Windows hypervisor was still active).
Working with more than one core in the guest has never worked for me but I am still using eCS. I don't know if ArcaOS would make a difference. The problem is that multiple cores appear to work ok but after a while, the system(guest) gets confused and hangs eventually. That always happened when I was doing a compile with the old MS 16-bit compiler (run from multiple makefiles).

I think you can simply switch hyper-v support in the Windows control panel. I think if both hypervisors are active you can run end up with a bsod.

The ms16 bit compiler might also simply not be SMP safe. Use msrkexe to mark as SMP unsafe.

Roderick

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:35 pm »
According to the Windows 11 control panel, I do not even seem to have hyper-v installed ("Windows Hypervisor Platform" is not marked as being installed, also "VM Platform" is not installed, whatever that means). Then I searched in the internet and found a commandline way of disabling it. Still Virtualbox 7 complained in its guest logs that the Windows Hypervisor was still active.

I went back to Virtualbox 6.1.x. Unfortunately, Virtualbox is not a product that necessarily gets better with each version. For me, it`s always trial and error.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:31:37 pm by Lars »

TNG999

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 11:58:47 pm »
Hi..  I have some brand new HP Z2 G9 workstations that I can try ARCA OS on... but I need UEFI support first (I know, I know, it's coming!).  Can't switch to BIOS mode on these new ones it appears.

Has Intel Core i7-12700 in it. 12th gen.

-m

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 01:28:11 am »
Sorry I can't say anything about Intel processors, haven't used them since AMD came out with the 486.

All my computers have various iterations of the AMD Ryzen processor now which I assemble/build myself.  The top of the range for me is an MSI B550-A PRO board with a Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G.  I also have a couple of ASRock B450 PRO 4 with Ryzen 3 3200G.  All of them drive 1920 x 1200 HDMI monitors.  At the moment I have set the UEFI bios to compatibility mode and everything works well.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:50 pm »
Ivan I did get the ASRock 450 board and found that it works like a champ the UEFI is so simple. The old Asus board I never could get to work. You are right the manufacturers do use different implementations even if the same UEFI maker.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 02:45:59 am »
Hi ivan,

...All my computers have various iterations of the AMD Ryzen processor now which I assemble/build myself.  The top of the range for me is an MSI B550-A PRO board with a Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G.  I also have a couple of ASRock B450 PRO 4 with Ryzen 3 3200G.  All of them drive 1920 x 1200 HDMI monitors.  At the moment I have set the UEFI bios to compatibility mode and everything works well.

Any chance you could run SysBench and post the results?

I've been looking to upgrade the hardware here, and truth be told the only thing that is holding me back is the pleasure of using the two 1920x1200 panels...not going back to a single monitor, not at this time.

Having said that though, with more CPU power I suspect that even a generic video driver (non accelerated SNAP, or simply Panorama) can produce pretty good results. So maybe I can see myself replacing the two monitors with a nice large (curved) display???

Thanks!