Author Topic: pcmcia  (Read 3770 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
pcmcia
« on: December 19, 2022, 03:46:55 pm »
Greetings,

I have arca running flawlessly on an old dell latitude d610 with one exception.  The pcmcia slot appears to not be loaded, I thought it was the old card I had that was bad, but arca reports no pcmcia slot.  How do I rectify this? Would be great to use usb card or a little faster network...

Hope everyone is well

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: pcmcia
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 10:28:11 pm »
Hi Rick

I no longer remember much about PCMCIA devices. I have some information on the wiki here: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Socket_Chipsets_Matrix_PCMCIA

I guess it is required to know which PCIMCIA chipset does the Dell laptop has, and what PCMCIA card device do you want to use?

Can you run "testlog generic" and upload the log file to gave more context on how is your hardware and config.sys?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 08:08:59 pm »

I no longer remember much about PCMCIA devices. I have some information on the wiki here: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Socket_Chipsets_Matrix_PCMCIA

I guess it is required to know which PCIMCIA chipset does the Dell laptop has, and what PCMCIA card device do you want to use?

Can you run "testlog generic" and upload the log file to gave more context on how is your hardware and config.sys?

Here is the log file.  I tried to reply to this post on the arca machine with firefox, however the buttons to reply etc at the bottom of the message were not there? Is there a reason I would experience that?

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 11:06:14 pm »
I tried to reply to this post on the arca machine with firefox, however the buttons to reply etc at the bottom of the message were not there? Is there a reason I would experience that?

I see the button on Firefox on ArcaOS. The only way I don't see it is if the user is not logged.  (picture attached)

Back to the PCMCIA issue, I still do not have a solid clue:

I see the devices report:
  Vendor 104Ch Texas Instruments
 Device 8036h PCI6515 Cardbus Controller

Device 8038h PCI6515 SmartCard Controller

And the config.sys shows this:
 BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS /P
 BASEDEV=TI1225CB.SYS
 BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VPCMCIA.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCMSSDIF.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2SRAM.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\FLSH2MTD.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2FLSH.SYS
 BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP
 BASEDEV=OS2PCARD.DMD

Do you have the PC Card Director tool there? Do you see any activity, beep or anything on the PCMCIA tools that a card is inserted when you plug one?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 07:29:33 am »

I see the button on Firefox on ArcaOS. The only way I don't see it is if the user is not logged.  (picture attached)

Back to the PCMCIA issue, I still do not have a solid clue:

I see the devices report:
 Device 8036h PCI6515 Cardbus Controller

Device 8038h PCI6515 SmartCard Controller

And the config.sys shows this:
 BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS /P
 BASEDEV=TI1225CB.SYS
 BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VPCMCIA.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCMSSDIF.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2SRAM.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\FLSH2MTD.SYS
 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2FLSH.SYS
 BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP
 BASEDEV=OS2PCARD.DMD

Do you have the PC Card Director tool there? Do you see any activity, beep or anything on the PCMCIA tools that a card is inserted when you plug one?

I did try running pccard director, it claimed my machine was a thinkpad of sorts but the installation failed. So not sure what to try next, its not terribly important was just something fun to work on.

another note, I am trying to cp some files of the arca system to a truenas, I can mount the drives ok I can change to drive create dirs ect.  however when I try to copy a folder from arca to the network storage it will copy the dir but not any of the contents I get

cp: cannot fstat `g:\os2\ftn\config\binkd.cfg`: permission denied

Not sure what is going on when I ls -la its root:root owns everything I should be able to copy those files

Rick