Author Topic: system error while cloning  (Read 5098 times)

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
system error while cloning
« on: December 20, 2022, 06:06:21 am »
I am using ArcaOS 5.0.7 (modified to pentium4 platform).

While I was cloning off gitlabs.com/seamonkey-project/seamonkey-2.53-comm, I got the following
system error:

The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##0168:fff0fda4 - 000f:eda4.
    60002, 9084

1b860657
    Internal revision 14.203_SMP

The system is stopped.  Record all of the above information and
    contact your service representative.

Even with the above, I hope someone can shed some light what the issue might
be.  I don't grok it.

Thanks

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: system error while cloning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 07:24:13 am »
Basically it is a kernel (or possibly ACPI) crash. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say where or why. It might be a one off. I'll ask around.
Large git clones often freeze here, leaving a zombie process that requires a reboot to get rid off, likely memory problems. You should probably increase your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT in config.sys. Maximum value is 3072, sometimes it interferes with PCI address space. other values 2816, 2560, 2304 and safer, 2048. In hex, need to end in 00.
I'm running on real hardware and sometimes the only solution is to boot to Linux (Mint in my case, it mounts OS/2 JFS partitions pretty well, even case insensitive) and clone it there. Still potential problems as Linux can create files that OS/2 can't handle such as symlinks or hard links. On OS/2 symlinks are a libc thing kept in extended attributes (xttrs). HPFS is likely safer but has things like the 2GB file limit.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 09:58:26 pm »
Hi Edmund,
Did you cut off the top of the trap screen? Really need the whole screen for diagnoses.
There's a good run down of the basics here, http://www.warpcave.com/os2diags/, the Trap Screen reference link, whole page is worth bookmarking.
Suggestions for cloning include using --depth=1, tweaking %HOME%\.gitconfig to keep the pack sizes reasonable and at worse, falling back to using git fetch.

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 02:11:28 am »
Hi Edmund,
Did you cut off the top of the trap screen? Really need the whole screen for diagnoses.
There's a good run down of the basics here, http://www.warpcave.com/os2diags/, the Trap Screen reference link, whole page is worth bookmarking.
Suggestions for cloning include using --depth=1, tweaking %HOME%\.gitconfig to keep the pack sizes reasonable and at worse, falling back to using git fetch.

Hi Dave,

Nope, not that I noticed. (Really should've taken a screen shot.   Live and learn).  Anyway, moot point since
the installed mercurial can't clone the Mozilla ESR52 repository (due to missing bundle2), so I ended up cloning
on my system, zipping up the directory and sending it over via scp.

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 03:38:08 am »
The OS/2 source is at git clone https://dyeo@git.code.sf.net/p/mozilla-os2/code mozilla-os2-code with master being 52ESR, IIRC only 52.4. 45ESR is the branch for the current Firefox etc.

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 09:51:48 am »
The OS/2 source is at git clone https://dyeo@git.code.sf.net/p/mozilla-os2/code mozilla-os2-code with master being 52ESR, IIRC only 52.4. 45ESR is the branch for the current Firefox etc.

Currently cloning it.   Thanks!

I would've hated doing the cloning with mercurial.  Ever since the code base size skyrocketed,
I've never had a good time with cloning it. 

Edmund

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 05:37:31 pm »
BTW, your trap was in _trapQueryRegister, the routine panicked while processing a trap, things were really messed up. If it repeats, Arca Noae wants you to open an issue to investigate.
Did you have Security/2 installed when it happened? Don't know if it is SMP safe (lots of old programs never considered multi-CPU's) or uses kernel stuff that may have changed.

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 02:05:14 am »
BTW, your trap was in _trapQueryRegister, the routine panicked while processing a trap, things were really messed up. If it repeats, Arca Noae wants you to open an issue to investigate.

Thanks for that info.  Will create an issue when it happens again.

Did you have Security/2 installed when it happened? Don't know if it is SMP safe (lots of old programs never considered multi-CPU's) or uses kernel stuff that may have changed.

Yes, I did have Security/2 installed; but have removed it from the system as it wasn't what I
wanted as well as it not really working as expected.

Edmund