Author Topic: Security/2 and user parameters  (Read 4145 times)

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
Security/2 and user parameters
« on: December 20, 2022, 09:59:25 am »
I just installed the openssh from www.altsan.org/os2/utils as well as Security/2.  While the documentation does
show the parameters available for "user",  it doesn't really explain how to use it explicitly.  Like, how to change the directory for a particular user.

I managed to create a new user as well as changed the password.

However, I'm having trouble with changing the shell and directory using the following commands:

user -u -s sh.exe cc
  user -u -d c:\home\users\cc cc

Both give me the error:

user: failed 5

I've no clue what this means aside for the fact that it failed. 

I installed this ssh server so I can ssh into this OS/2 box.   Right now, I can ssh into the box; but instead
of the public/private key usage, it uses password which isn't ideal.

Any clarifications appreciated.

Edmund

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Security/2 and user parameters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:17:59 am »
Any specific reason why you installed this ssh version instead the rpm one? Personally I played a bit with ssh a few weeks ago but I've no experience in this field.

Edmund Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 04:34:47 am »
Any specific reason why you installed this ssh version instead the rpm one? Personally I played a bit with ssh a few weeks ago but I've no experience in this field.

The main reason was that I followed a thread that suggested a bunch of 'multi-user ssh' capable software.  I did try the rpm
version of ssh, but couldn't figure out how to create a new user or even point to the right home directory.

Edmund

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:28:29 am »
No clue how well you know OS/2 - ArcaOS but basically it's a single user system. A server was used back then when different users has to be managed in organization. And this stuff was pretty good at that time compared to other OSes. But the workstation is a single user system/terminal.

There is (was) some project put on top of OS/2 which can give you a feeling like working on a multi-user system. Basically AFAIK it shows you a different desktop for every user. But this is much different than on real multi user systems TTBOMK. F.i. there is no file system (directory) security which could separate user files. Of course you can copy/rename .ini files to have different desktop/WPS appearance to different users. But this is much different to what you may know from f.i. *nix systems.

That said I fear there are only very few people who ever played with Security/2. Don't expect anything like separated files spaces/rights or restricted user rights compared to admins.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 01:46:25 pm »
Hi Edmund

I had created some time ago this category on hobbes for multiusers related software /pub/os2/util/multiuser.

I don't actively use these software, but I tried MultiDesk once, since it got open sourced.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 12:13:03 am »
Hi Edmund,

My first question to you is, are you trying to run OS/2 ArcaOS as a multi person operating system, if so you have the wrong version of OS/2, what you really need is the server version and I don't have a clue where you would get that from now.  If on the other hand you want to run it as a single person operating system then you need to remove all the junk you are loading it down with.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 05:50:21 pm »
I just installed the openssh from www.altsan.org/os2/utils as well as Security/2.  While the documentation does show the parameters available for "user",  it doesn't really explain how to use it explicitly.  Like, how to change the directory for a particular user.

I managed to create a new user as well as changed the password.

However, I'm having trouble with changing the shell and directory using the following commands:

I haven't looked at this stuff in years, so I can't offer much guidance. However, I seem to recall that setting user shell & home directory was easier accomplished by simply editing the %ETC%/passwd file directly (see section 14 of the Security/2 readme).