OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

SSH - take the long way home

<< < (2/2)

Heikki Kekki:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 26, 2022, 08:19:29 am ---Qputty? https://ecsoft2.org/qputty
Might be able to build the Qt5 one from here, https://github.com/seppd/qputty-qt5

--- End quote ---
I've been using Qputty for at least 6 years. Works well but after the QT5 installation it has randomly died immediately after starting. But not often.

SoundChaser:
I gave another shot at komh' s QPutty, and found the culprit from previous failures (on which I gave up really quickly, I must admit) - only an old subset of now-considered-insecure ciphers are available.

Back to square 1.

You know what? There's nothing like the original. Downloaded the win32 putty, 32-bit edition. After a bit of tinkering with puttygen to import my private key to putty's proprietary format (wtf, really) IT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Procedure:
- Download putty.exe
- Open an OS/2 Command Prompt
- Open putty through Odin with "pe putty.exe"

Confirmed to work:
- Window is resizeable \o/
- There are some quirks with the cursor (annoying, but I can live with them until qputty is refreshed)
- TUI apps such as Midnight Commander render just fine
- Fonts report negative font sizes for about every font except Courier New (perhaps for every bitmap except TrueType)

So here's my current compilation of the current state of things with SSH client for OS/2, existing and potential:

- Win32 Putty through ODIN - only known to work stable solution (well, it crashes on exit but I can live with that)
- Command line SSH from ANPM - give it a shot, it connects but it's not really usable.
- ZOC. doesn't work. It needs a refreshed SSL stack. Seriously, it's only useful for unencrypted
- QPutty - doesn't work with secure ciphers.
- PUTTY for Win32s - doesn't work, relies on Win32s 1.30 but open source... based on OpenWatcom infamous V2 branch - SSH for DOS - doesn't work, needs wattcp to be ported over to IBM TCP/IP for DOS
(probably easy to port to OW 1.9 and build to win32s 1.25)
- Kermit 95. Doesn't work, but it's now open source and modular. It could actually be interesting to (re-)port as it once supported OS/2.

Dave Yeo:
Kind of surprised that the Win32 version of Putty still works with Odin, I was going to suggest it but figured it would have used newer API.
Hopefully QPutty is easy to rebuild, and Kermit would be worth revisiting to see if it still builds.

SoundChaser:
Yeah I remembered one of my friend using putty with odin around 2001 or so... and decided to give it a shot :-)

I managed to have X11 forwarding to work. Due to the richness of today's GNOME, the experience is unbearable. Even adding compression doesn't help. Perhaps an X2Go client would do better.... seems that previously suggested xrdp a better route for remote desktop of that Unix box...

But disregarding the performance, the combo putty-on-Odin-with-X11 + Hoblink works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version