OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

New install - Intel NUC5

(1/3) > >>

Rick Smith:
Greetings,

I recently upgraded one my mini pcs so I thought I would install arca on the old one.  Its a INTEL NUC5, with a 256gb msata drive.  When I get to the harddrive part of the setup it doesnt see the drive at all.  I remember this happening before on a different install I just do not recall the fix.  I have booted with gparted and wiped all partitions, I have tried MBR and GPT without creating partition, boot arca still no drive showing.  I tried again with gparted created a unformatted partition still no luck.  Anyone have an idea how to set the drive up so that arca installer will see it?  Will it see all 256gb or do I need to partition it smaller, formatted ?

Rick

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Rick

I have a report of this machine "Yanling XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160", but there was not any trick about the HDD.

Can you post the model number (like NUC5i5MYHE) to check the specs online?
Is it possible to generate the PCI report from the installer to have the hardware details?

Regards

Rick Smith:
Maybe not a trick per say, but how should you setup a hard drive for arca so that it sees it? Should it be a formatted partition in order for it to show up?  I can boot to gparted to set it up.

Its a nuc5 d54250wykh

Dave Yeo:
Hi Rick, removing the MBR should be good enough though ideally is zeroing out the first few sectors.
Understand that OS/2 needs CHS partitioning with the cylinders ending on a boundary as well as LVM info on the drive. While Gparted should be good enough to wipe it and IIRC, it also has an option to do CHS partitioning, it won't do the LVM stuff and often will leave the drive with a hanging partition as far as OS/2 is concerned. The 256 GB size should be fine, you could make one 256 GB partition but usually better to have a couple. Need to use JFS for your file system.
Still the installer should see the drive and, with wiped MBR, offer you the chance to partition and format. You could try booting to the maintenance thingy on your USB stick and using the disk tools to partition, forget the proper name right now. Otherwise perhaps the AHCI driver needs some special parameters and you might be best opening an issue with Arca Noae.

Rick Smith:
I have two partitions "cleared" via gparted ie not formatted.. Arca still does not see them, the only thing that pops up in disk manager is a 16mb fat16 device not sure what that is, but its been there each time.  Of course the usb device is there as well.  Were you saying there is a way to boot to disk manager on the arca install usb?

**UPDATE**

I got it to work, I had one option left to try, so I booted back to gparted created msdos partition table, left drive unpartitioned and unformatted, arca is now installing as we speak...

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version