Author Topic: New install - Intel NUC5  (Read 6391 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
New install - Intel NUC5
« on: December 28, 2022, 08:17:03 pm »
Greetings,

I recently upgraded one my mini pcs so I thought I would install arca on the old one.  Its a INTEL NUC5, with a 256gb msata drive.  When I get to the harddrive part of the setup it doesnt see the drive at all.  I remember this happening before on a different install I just do not recall the fix.  I have booted with gparted and wiped all partitions, I have tried MBR and GPT without creating partition, boot arca still no drive showing.  I tried again with gparted created a unformatted partition still no luck.  Anyone have an idea how to set the drive up so that arca installer will see it?  Will it see all 256gb or do I need to partition it smaller, formatted ?

Rick
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 08:35:01 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: New install - Intel NUC5
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 08:39:17 pm »
Hi Rick

I have a report of this machine "Yanling XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160", but there was not any trick about the HDD.

Can you post the model number (like NUC5i5MYHE) to check the specs online?
Is it possible to generate the PCI report from the installer to have the hardware details?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 08:46:35 pm »
Maybe not a trick per say, but how should you setup a hard drive for arca so that it sees it? Should it be a formatted partition in order for it to show up?  I can boot to gparted to set it up.

Its a nuc5 d54250wykh

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 09:27:21 pm »
Hi Rick, removing the MBR should be good enough though ideally is zeroing out the first few sectors.
Understand that OS/2 needs CHS partitioning with the cylinders ending on a boundary as well as LVM info on the drive. While Gparted should be good enough to wipe it and IIRC, it also has an option to do CHS partitioning, it won't do the LVM stuff and often will leave the drive with a hanging partition as far as OS/2 is concerned. The 256 GB size should be fine, you could make one 256 GB partition but usually better to have a couple. Need to use JFS for your file system.
Still the installer should see the drive and, with wiped MBR, offer you the chance to partition and format. You could try booting to the maintenance thingy on your USB stick and using the disk tools to partition, forget the proper name right now. Otherwise perhaps the AHCI driver needs some special parameters and you might be best opening an issue with Arca Noae.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 10:10:03 pm »
I have two partitions "cleared" via gparted ie not formatted.. Arca still does not see them, the only thing that pops up in disk manager is a 16mb fat16 device not sure what that is, but its been there each time.  Of course the usb device is there as well.  Were you saying there is a way to boot to disk manager on the arca install usb?

**UPDATE**

I got it to work, I had one option left to try, so I booted back to gparted created msdos partition table, left drive unpartitioned and unformatted, arca is now installing as we speak...

Rick
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:35:43 pm by Rick Smith »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 11:22:41 pm »
Hi Rick

That's good.

Please post back if everything works and your PCI report (I have some instructions here).

I had created a wiki page for it here: "Intel NUC Kit D54250WYKH".

Reading the specs the only strange thing it has is the "Consumer Infrared Rx Sensor", but the rest seems that it should not give you problems, please report back.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:42:32 pm »
I have two partitions "cleared" via gparted ie not formatted.. Arca still does not see them, the only thing that pops up in disk manager is a 16mb fat16 device not sure what that is, but its been there each time.  Of course the usb device is there as well.  Were you saying there is a way to boot to disk manager on the arca install usb?

**UPDATE**

I got it to work, I had one option left to try, so I booted back to gparted created msdos partition table, left drive unpartitioned and unformatted, arca is now installing as we speak...

Rick

Good to hear. As for the maintenance boot, when you boot the install stick, after the installer starts, at the lower right is a maintenance button, forget the exact wording. It'll bring up a minimal GUI with various menu items.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 11:58:14 pm »
Hi Rick

That's good.

Please post back if everything works and your PCI report (I have some instructions here).

I had created a wiki page for it here: "Intel NUC Kit D54250WYKH".

Reading the specs the only strange thing it has is the "Consumer Infrared Rx Sensor", but the rest seems that it should not give you problems, please report back.

Its installed, infact I am writing this on that machine.  The reboot though went weird, when I selected boot from hard disk in would go into a loop and complain about boot disk being a floppy?  So I took usb out and it booted from hard drive I quickly reinserted the usb drive tho so it could keep installing after the reboot.. All in all went fine.  I am having that dos prompt problem where it wont work if you open a dos window, I may try the documented fixes and see if I have any luck.

Here is the file you requested.

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 01:07:50 pm »
Thanks Rick. I had updated the wiki.

Does everything works fine Audio, Network, All USB ports?

FYI: I guess you already known, but I got good results with " viop-1.0.wpi" for the DOS sessions.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:12:13 pm »
Thanks Rick. I had updated the wiki.

Does everything works fine Audio, Network, All USB ports?

FYI: I guess you already known, but I got good results with " viop-1.0.wpi" for the DOS sessions.
Regards

Great!  With the viop-1.0.wpi was there something to add to autoexec.bat as well?  I thought I remember something along those lines but could be wrong..  Everything as far as I can tell is working just fine.. Ive tested all the ports, and I can produce audio.

Rick

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 02:42:32 pm »
Hello,

I tried the file, and from memory I added this to autoexec.bat "SET mode co80,100" did not fix the dos window session, full screen dos takes a whole minute to load, by monitor goes into sleep mode. Upon exiting dos it hangs the computer at the desktop with a ribbon colored border around the screen with no keyboard or mouse control, was forced to do hard reboot.  I am using mini display-port connection to monitor?

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 02:46:06 pm »
Great!  With the viop-1.0.wpi was there something to add to autoexec.bat as well?  I thought I remember something along those lines but could be wrong..

I have some notes here on the Wiki. But in my case was just installing  viop-1.0.wpi and rebooting. For me that solved my problems without any other changes, but I know that on different hardware are different solutions.

Arca Noae as also some DOS-Win16 comments on their web FAQ.

If you can't make DOS Sessions work, I think your worst case scenario may be that you have to wait for ArcaOS 5.1 and enable UEFI BIOS with CSM.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 02:48:09 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 03:31:14 pm »
Great!  With the viop-1.0.wpi was there something to add to autoexec.bat as well?  I thought I remember something along those lines but could be wrong..

I have some notes here on the Wiki. But in my case was just installing  viop-1.0.wpi and rebooting. For me that solved my problems without any other changes, but I know that on different hardware are different solutions.

Arca Noae as also some DOS-Win16 comments on their web FAQ.

If you can't make DOS Sessions work, I think your worst case scenario may be that you have to wait for ArcaOS 5.1 and enable UEFI BIOS with CSM.

Regards

Something happened, while messing around with it.  I got kernel panic could not get passed it.  Having to do reinstall.  I wont change anything while working to fix the dos problem.  I was doing too many other things at same time I believe.  Ill keep you posted on results.

Rick

UPDATE...

Machine is back up.  Still no usable DOS sessions even with all the suggested fixes implemented.  When is 5.1 expected?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:12:52 pm by Rick Smith »