OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2023

(1/4) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
I remember we discussed this on January of 2022.

This was the discussed wishlist at it's time, in not any specific order:

- Audio and Camera support for a Videoconference tool.
- Bluetooth support for Keyboard and Mouse.
- GPT support for large disks.
- 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express.
- Intel Wifi support.
- Dual Screen Support
   - Intel HD dual screen support. (To mirror screen or extend screen)
   - Easier Hot plug to projectors. (To mirror screen or extend screen)
- Hibernate support for PCs  / Laptops.
- Standby support for PCs  / Laptops.

Is there anything else that changed for 2023?
Do you think something was missing or the priorities on hardware support had changed on this year?
Anything else to add?

Regards

Neil Waldhauer:
Working with a new monitor, I find I'm wishing that we had support for HDMI, DisplayPort and USB-c video interfaces with audio. I know this is a big ask, since it sort of confuses the boundary between video and audio. I'd like to be able to set display resolution to numbers I like, instead of relying on those few that the VESA interface provides.

Gregg Young:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on January 01, 2023, 04:17:30 pm ---Working with a new monitor, I find I'm wishing that we had support for HDMI, DisplayPort and USB-c video interfaces with audio. I know this is a big ask, since it sort of confuses the boundary between video and audio. I'd like to be able to set display resolution to numbers I like, instead of relying on those few that the VESA interface provides.

--- End quote ---

I use a TV as a monitor and it only has HDMI support and no way to attach from audio out. The computer only has VGA. I found a VGA to HDMI adapter. The adapter also has UBS audio. Using the AN USB audio driver I have sound through the TV speakers and have up to 1920x1440 (1920x1080 is it standard res) resolution using panorama.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 30, 2022, 02:59:09 pm ---I remember we discussed this on January of 2022.

This was the discussed wishlist at it's time, in not any specific order:

- Audio and Camera support for a Videoconference tool.
- Bluetooth support for Keyboard and Mouse.
- GPT support for large disks.
- 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express.
- Intel Wifi support.
- Dual Screen Support
   - Intel HD dual screen support. (To mirror screen or extend screen)
   - Easier Hot plug to projectors. (To mirror screen or extend screen)
- Hibernate support for PCs  / Laptops.
- Standby support for PCs  / Laptops.

Is there anything else that changed for 2023?
Do you think something was missing or the priorities on hardware support had changed on this year?
Anything else to add?

Regards

--- End quote ---

Ethernet 2.5 GB support does not depend onf the network stack. That is more related to getting a driver for such a chipset ported by AN.
The question is if the TCP/IP stack will provide the performance people would be expecting. Based on the 1 GB experience on some systems I do not
think 2.5 GB performance will be achieved on OS/2.

Audio and Camera support we already have. BWW ported last December 2021 (Lars did that) DLL's for webcames to work. And Wim Brul also has a DLL.  Code needs to be written so QT can communication with these DLL's.

Other items I do not know the status.

Roderick

Paul Smedley:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on January 02, 2023, 06:47:59 pm ---Ethernet 2.5 GB support does not depend onf the network stack. That is more related to getting a driver for such a chipset ported by AN.
The question is if the TCP/IP stack will provide the performance people would be expecting. Based on the 1 GB experience on some systems I do not
think 2.5 GB performance will be achieved on OS/2.

--- End quote ---

For me at least, the 2.5GB support is so that I can use a specific motherboard with AOS. The 2.5gb ethernet is the only ethernet provided, and it's a mini pc so it's not like I can just throw a NIC into the machine..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version