OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Latest possible Kernel etc for OS/2Warp3 (WarpServer4)-And:Happy new Year 2023!

<< < (2/2)

Dave Yeo:
I notice that in x:\os2\install\smp and w4 are versions of harderr.exe. Running strings on it, it seems to have the kernel boot messages on it, the tail of strings harderr.exe,

--- Code: ---EA program in this session encountered a problem and cannot
continue.
%@#IBM:14.103#@ OS/2 Hard Error Daemon

--- End code ---

So it seems it too should match the kernel.
As for SMP, I wouldn't be surprised if too much is not SMP safe. I tried updating Warp v4 fp15 to SMP, it would trp in under a minute after the desktop came up.

Tom:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 31, 2022, 05:53:37 pm ---I notice that in x:\os2\install\smp and w4 are versions of harderr.exe. Running strings on it, it seems to have the kernel boot messages on it, the tail of strings harderr.exe,

--- Code: ---EA program in this session encountered a problem and cannot
continue.
%@#IBM:14.103#@ OS/2 Hard Error Daemon

--- End code ---

So it seems it too should match the kernel.
As for SMP, I wouldn't be surprised if too much is not SMP safe. I tried updating Warp v4 fp15 to SMP, it would trp in under a minute after the desktop came up.

--- End quote ---

When Scott Garfinkle from IBM still uploaded testkernels to IBM's testcase server, he always put os2ldr, os2dump (forgot this one in my previous answer) and os2krnl into the zipfiles. But never harderr.exe

Dave Yeo:
Yes, the one here was 14.103 and works fine with kernel 14.201, it probably hardly ever needed updating but going from a W3 kernel to W4 or higher might need an update and the error messages that Sigurd posted might be caused  by this, if only the lack of proper error messages.

Sigurd Fastenrath:

--- Quote from: Lars on December 31, 2022, 11:28:51 am ---The Warp3 kernel is a dead end. It does not contain the KEE functionality which means that no current driver will work (including JFS.IFS, as an example as well as the USB stack).

--- End quote ---

Hi Lars,

thanks fort this information! As I can see here (Thanks Martin to remind me of this wunderfull pages by Alex Taylor!) in the picture, XR*D002 is the latest driver package for Warp Server 4. I already added XR*D003 to my UPDCD build, wich now oviously makes no sence once I can not integrate Kernels from Warp 4.

Thanks again!!

Sigurd Fastenrath:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on January 01, 2023, 05:20:39 am ---Yes, the one here was 14.103 and works fine with kernel 14.201, it probably hardly ever needed updating but going from a W3 kernel to W4 or higher might need an update and the error messages that Sigurd posted might be caused  by this, if only the lack of proper error messages.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dave! I will give it a shot with the file from Warp 4.52!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version