Author Topic: VLC3018 IDN11.DLL  (Read 5978 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
VLC3018 IDN11.DLL
« on: January 04, 2023, 05:53:08 pm »
I am trying to run the new vlc v 3.0.18 and it is complaining about a missing file IDN11

Anyone know where that file is located, or which package  it is part of?

Another interesting thing:  If I search IDN11.DLL OS2WORD  from google front page I get nothing.

If I enter IDN11.DLL in the search on the front page of OS2WORLD is comes back with nothing. (I am guessing it just passes searches off to google.)

If I enter IDN11.DLL in the search for the forums page I get a hit - a topic about PDF issues.

Lastly: shout out to KO Myung-Hun for his port of VLC.   It is a VERY nice player.  Thanks KO

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: VLC3018 IDN11.DLL
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 06:13:34 pm »
Code: [Select]
>yum provides idn11.dll
libidn-1.33-2.oc00.i686 : Internationalized Domain Name support library
Repo        : netlabs-rel
Matched from:
Other       : idn11.dll

libidn-1.33-2.oc00.pentium4 : Internationalized Domain Name support library
Repo        : netlabs-rel
Matched from:

libidn-1.33-2.oc00.i686 : Internationalized Domain Name support library
Repo        : installed
Matched from:

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 06:02:51 pm »
Here we are seeing my biggest complaint - new programs that don't supply ALL the required extra bits (dll etc.) and no rpm/yum is not the answer.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 11:03:54 am »
Here we are seeing my biggest complaint - new programs that don't supply ALL the required extra bits (dll etc.) and no rpm/yum is not the answer.

Unfortunately as long as you refuse to accept that things can't work the way you like it, you're lost. Our OS can't handle required dlls in different directories/version well enough to fulfill your wishes. Sorry, OS/2 limits don't go away only when someone wishes they do.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 01:17:52 pm »
Sorry Andi, you missed my point which was/is that we shouldn't have to search all over to try and find the necessary parts for a program to run, they should all be there and if necessary have a note in the 'readme' file that states they should be put in a different dir.  My experience with previous versions of VLC has been that they work with everything together in the VLX2 dir and sub dirs.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 03:12:09 pm »
Sorry Andi, you missed my point which was/is that we shouldn't have to search all over to try and find the necessary parts for a program to run, they should all be there and if necessary have a note in the 'readme' file that states they should be put in a different dir.
We agree here, the readme should explain what's necessary. Most of the time this is done correctly that way. Sometimes some readme is not complete. In such case a ticket or in case no ticket system for the program is available, a mail to the programmer is what a user has to do when he finds such error. At least when he gets a lot of work for free. Remember, errors happen as porters are only humans. But -

and no rpm/yum is not the answer.
I've interpreted your post in a way that you think you can run different current programs (ports) reliable, stable, reproducible and manageable in a way without yum/rpm/ANPM. If this is what you think then there are only a few explanations for that comes to my mind. Either you -
1) have only very little experience with current ports
2) you use only a very few ported programs in a very limited scenario
3) you do not update or try out many different ports
4) you're a super power OS/2 user who knows and remembers exactly where you've put everything on your disk and your paths and you have a super memory and memorizes every detail of every dll you ever put into some program directory and remember the correct order how you have to start which application and you're knowing all the details and problems of beginlibpath/endpath and don't have the need to run big applications with much memory requirements and ...

Hope 4) is valid for you ;-).

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:33 pm »
I'm not quite the cat 4 you mention but I have been using OS/2 since version 1.1.

Looking at what is available from rpm/yum it appears that most is aimed at developers.  When I had my business I employed an OS/2 programmer to tailor OS/2 to our clients needs.  In my retirement now (20 years) I use what I need to keep my mind active.

As for remembering what programs I have they are started by a cmd file on the desktop where necessary or directly from the program object (begin libpath works wonders).  I do know which of the 3 hard disks they are on or if they are on one of the two NAS boxes because that is a carry-over from my working life.

The attached pic gives the layout of the disks on this working machine.

Thanks for your input.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 10:55:41 pm »
Thank you Dave Yeo - that did the trick. 

The lib was not mentioned in the read.me - which is such an easy mistake to make.  Moving an application from development to installation can be tricky because it is so easy to miss dependencies. 

However I consider this to be a case of operator error on my part, because I just noticed the FIND in Acra Noae Package Manager menu that I could have used to search which package had the DLL I needed.  And VLC was polite enough to tell me which DLL I was missing - so I could have fixed this myself if I was paying attention.  (Thanks again Dave for the info.)

Ivan - I am a convert on RPM/YUM/Acra Noae Package Manager.  I didn't like it at first and I am still annoyed at not being able to specify the install location of packages, but the benefits so outweigh the deficits.  The system is actually pretty amazing: you can get access to, and install, applications and libraries that you need - along with updates - and it is really pretty painless (when you pay attention to the menu options, which obviously I didn't.)

BTW - VLC 3.018 works great.  Thanks again KO for porting the package, and to the VLC team for making such an amazing app.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 11:11:39 am »
(begin libpath works wonders)
set beginlibpath=xxx - been there, done that. As said, as long as you only have a very limited set of programs you want to run and as long as you don't being hit by the shortcomings (bugs) of our kernel it may work for your task. But definitely not worth proposing to others. I see begin-endlibpath and libpathstrict as a very very last resort for a very few special cases. If you ever wanna use some of the newer ported stuff sooner or later you will find yourself in big troubles without our rpm environment.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 01:34:24 pm »
Hi Andy,

It installed with ArcaOS so I have it in this machine but I have never seen the need to use it.  Remembering the last time I updated some DLLs and had several working programs stop working because the new DLLs were not backward compatible so never again.

I have opened the package manager but find nothing of interest there, it appears to be something a person interested in programming might be interested in and I'm NOT a programmer.

Each to his own.  I will stick with my 4k kvm switch and the Linux Mint box under the desk for the firefox browser when necessary.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 03:55:47 pm »
Remembering the last time I updated some DLLs and had several working programs stop working because the new DLLs were not backward compatible so never again.
For the few cases where the new version is really not fully backward compatible there are the proper xxxxx_legacy packages available. Though I've no clue which program didn't work for you after a yum update.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 05:28:27 pm »
Ivan - I am a convert on RPM/YUM/Acra Noae Package Manager.  I didn't like it at first and I am still annoyed at not being able to specify the install location of packages, but the benefits so outweigh the deficits.  The system is actually pretty amazing: you can get access to, and install, applications and libraries that you need - along with updates - and it is really pretty painless (when you pay attention to the menu options, which obviously I didn't.)

ANPM is nice, but ANPM and YUM seem to be missing key functionality.   

A couple of days ago I wanted to install the long term support version of the samba client (samba-client-lts).  When installing, ANPM identified two additional packages to install, heimdal and heimdal-libs.   I stopped the install and looked to ANPM to report what dependencies were needed for the samba package, but I found that ANPM does not report package dependencies.   I then went to a command line and typed "yum deplist samba-client-lts" and no dependencies were reported, but ANPM would not install the samba client without also installing the two heimdal packages.  Also, while ANPM did generate a log file for the samba package installation, I didn't see both heimdal package installations in the log?

As I'm accustomed to using APT and only use YUM on ArcaOS, there might be other ways of navigating and reporting package management on ArcaOS?