Author Topic: New OS/4 kernel :: SVN4227  (Read 148845 times)

dbanet

New OS/4 kernel :: SVN4227
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi OS/2World,

The Phoenix project proudly presents the new release of the OS/4 kernel that just has been made available at site.
Whatsnew list includes the new SCREEN03.SYS and SDDHELP.SYS drivers, bugfixes, enhancements and new features.

Due to the technical problems that will be fixed ASAP the new kernel releases are not available on Russian Underground/2 server.

They are posted at gus.biysk.ru server in the /os4 directory. For example, the current latest release, SVN4227, is available here as a zip file.

I will also update this topic for every new release to keep the OS/2World community up to date with the Phoenix project.

To help new OS/4 users, I've created a page on OS/2World Wiki, which consists of
Even if you are an experienced user (OS/2, or both OS/2 and OS/4), you are recommended to read it anyway, because there are lots of changes in the recent releases.
Also help on the page, especially if you are a native English speaker, is needed and appreciated.

20 Feb 2014.
SVN4168 released.
Don't know about changes in this release.

QSINIT loader full source code has just been made available -->
--> http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,324.msg2882.html#msg2882

06 Mar 2014.
SVN4169 released.
Whatsnew list from 4166 to 4169 is as follows:
  • Interrupt router enhancements.
  • Some bugs fixed, thanks to [joseph] for testing.

10 Mar 2014.
SVN4171 released.
  • A bug in recent OS/4 versions was fixed, that caused VirtualPC/2 to crash on start with OS4APIC.PSD driver loaded.
  • A bug related to DLL loading was fixed.

12 Mar 2014.
SVN4172 released.
  • Another bug in the system init was fixed.

25 Mar 2014.
SVN4173 released.
  • More diagnostics of PSD driver loading added.

19 Apr 2014.
SVN4177 released.
  • The boot process now stops if the kernel is unable to load CLOCK03B.SYS or SCREEN03.SYS.

26 Apr 2014.
SVN4180 released.

03 May 2014.
SVN4182 released.
  • Just a build with more information outputted for testing purposes.

04 May 2014.
SVN4183 released.
  • Small optimization and reorganization changes.

23 May 2014.
SVN4188 released.
  • More parts (device and file system drivers loading) are rewritten in C.

24 May 2014.
SVN4189 released.
  • Unknown changes.

03 June 2014 -- 04 June 2014
SVN4191, SVN4192, SVN4193, SVN4194 released.

These are test builds.

04 June 2014.
SVN4195 released.
  • Reverted changes made in 4189 that caused bugs with HPFS boot, NETBIND and Presentation Manager
  • Reverted changes made in 3167 that caused bugs with process signals (SIGINT, SIGBREAK, etc).

06 June 2014.
SVN4198 released.
  • VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT statement now works again in retail (non-debug) kernel only (the old init code was returned back probably).

08 June 2014.
SVN4200 released.
  • Virtual adresses limit now may be set with VALIMIT keyword in the [CONFIG] section of OS2LDR.INI.

15 June 2014 — 14 July 2014.
SVN revisions from 4202 to 4219 released.
  • No information about changes in these revisions had been provided.

04 Aug 2014.
SVN4221 released.

06 Aug 2014 — 22 Aug 2014.
SVN revisions from 4222 to 4224 released.

22 Aug 2014.
SVN4225 released.

24 Aug 2014.
SVN revisions from 4226 to 4227 released.

Regards,
dbanet.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:50:05 pm by Boris »

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: New OS/4 kernel is available :: SVN4166 :: screen03.sys release
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:27 am »
Boris,

Thanks for the link to the new kernel. It seems to work well here (Intel H55 chipset, i3 processor, Intel video, 4GB RAM). I do still get a POPUPLOG from DMISL.EXE on boot that I don't get with the IBM kernel, but so far there is no noticeable problem from that.

I was wondering if this kernel can make use of Hyperthreading? Also, what does the new screen03.sys driver add? It would be good if the package came with a description of the enhancements the new kernel provides. Don't be shy about blowing your horn a little bit... it may make more people decide to try it....8-)

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:36:35 pm »
The one thing that bothers me is that the OS/4 team decided to drop trace (static/dynamic tracing (TRACE) and as far as I understand also performance tracing (STRACE)) support and I don't know for which reason.
As a consequence that means that people using the OS/4 kernel will not be able to take a trace for the USB drivers that I have reworked and that David took over. There are other drivers like OS2DASD.DMD that also make use of tracing as well as the (original OS/2) kernel itself.
That said, we (David and I) will not be able to support people that use the OS/4 kernel who have problems with the USB drivers as they won't be able to take a trace. The best we can do is fix a trap in any of the USB drivers where a trap screen exists (this scenario does not require tracing to work, tracing is helpful if functional oddities occur that don't lead to a trap but rather to some odd malfunction).

I think users should be aware of that.

Lars

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »
I was wondering if this kernel can make use of Hyperthreading?

I have it tested on HT cpu  -  so far, no problem was found.

Also, what does the new screen03.sys driver add?

SCREEN03.SYS is mostly 32bit coded and uses new KEE entry:

KernAllocLDT & KernFreeLDT analog of  DHPhysToUVirt
KernVMProcessToGlobal analog of  DHVMProcessToGlobal
KernVMGlobalToProcess analog of  DHVMGlobalToProcess

KernVMAlloc2 same as  KernVMAlloc but recognizes cache control flags :
   VMDHA_UC
   VMDHA_UCMINUS
   VMDHA_WT
   VMDHA_WP
   VMDHA_WB
   VMDHA_WC

KernVMAlloc2 with VMDHA_WC is called from SCREEN$ IOCTL 80.B -  this way  mapping for Panorama LFB receives Write Combine caching.

dbanet

USBMSD
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:20:18 pm »
USB drivers

So, did you see my email about usbmsd?

dbanet

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »
I was wondering if this kernel can make use of Hyperthreading? Also, what does the new screen03.sys driver add? It would be good

Yes, it can. For better performance turn on the ExtraKernelHlt key in the ACPID.CFG file.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:08:58 pm »
  Thanks for the info! This is exactly the kind of thing needed in the kernel package. Keep it coming...

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:35 pm »
So far ------Soooo Good! and many, many thanks for you're efforts Boris!

klipp

dbanet

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
So far ------Soooo Good! and many, many thanks for you're efforts Boris!

klipp
Hi klipp,

I'm not a member of the OS/4 kernel development team, and I don't unfortunately have sufficient skills to participate in kernel development. I use and test the kernel on my OS/2 machines. You are welcome to the #os2russian channel to thank the OS/4 developers directly, and participate in testing.

The reason I take part in discussion here at os2world forums, is that I find a significant part of OS/2 community being not enough informed about the progress of the Phoenix project.

Regards.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:59:43 am »
I gave OS/4 a try on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530. It has a 2 core I5 Intel processor, with 4 GB of memory, and UEFI BIOS.

If I try to use the os4krnl file, it always hangs hard (the mouse won't even move) when the blue screen first appears. The next thing that I expect to see, is the STARTUP.CMD window. The only way out is to hold the power switch for 5 seconds.

If I try using the os4krnlr file, it seems to boot okay, but I haven't tried everything yet.

The good news is that it gives me 3170 MB, where the IBM kernel gives me 512 MB.

I find the documentation to be somewhat confusing, and the OS2LDR.INI file is not all that helpful, but experimenting with it doesn't seem to do any damage.   :-\

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:36:15 am »
Well, after a bit more testing, I found that using os4krnlr boots okay, but trying to use UNIMIX.EXE causes a strange problem. It works, as expected, with the base eCS 2.2 beta II install (IBM kernel). If I try it with os4krnlr, UNIMIX.EXE responds with "SYS0193: UNIAUD cannot be run in a OS/2 session." (yes, it does say "UNIAUD"). I am not sure what that is all about, but something is wrong.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:01:31 am »
I gave OS/4 a try on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530. It has a 2 core I5 Intel processor, with 4 GB of memory, and UEFI BIOS.

If I try to use the os4krnl file, it always hangs hard (the mouse won't even move) when the blue screen first appears. The next thing that I expect to see, is the STARTUP.CMD window. The only way out is to hold the power switch for 5 seconds.

If I try using the os4krnlr file, it seems to boot okay, but I haven't tried everything yet.

The good news is that it gives me 3170 MB, where the IBM kernel gives me 512 MB.

I find the documentation to be somewhat confusing, and the OS2LDR.INI file is not all that helpful, but experimenting with it doesn't seem to do any damage.   :-\

is it possible to see comport log file ?

try to start without STARTUP.CMD

Well, after a bit more testing, I found that using os4krnlr boots okay, but trying to use UNIMIX.EXE causes a strange problem. It works, as expected, with the base eCS 2.2 beta II install (IBM kernel). If I try it with os4krnlr, UNIMIX.EXE responds with "SYS0193: UNIAUD cannot be run in a OS/2 session." (yes, it does say "UNIAUD"). I am not sure what that is all about, but something is wrong.

I have just check it on my comp   -  UNIMIX.EXE works fine.

Does uniaud work ok with os/4 kernel on you comp ?

dbanet

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

os2krnl is the debug version, and os2krnlr is the release version. When the debug version hangs, try hitting Control-Alt-Shift-Scroll Lock-Scroll Lock, then if it prompts you to insert a diskette, then it is possible that it just falls into kernel debugger over a COM port (that looks like a hang) because of some not very important thing failing. The release version does not do that because lacks the kernel debugger feature. Also that may be just a bug in the non-release version. The thing is the release version of the kernel is not the master one, so it may lack some features and/or bugfixes, and/or, bugs.

Anyway, to avoid the debug version from falling into KDB, you may try writing this:
Code: [Select]
.b 115200t
g
g
g
g
g
ln
k
into \KDB.INI file on your boot drive. That helped me once.

It seems that your laptop does not have a hardware COM port, so I'm not actually sure how can one get a log if there is no COM port in a PC, and that is impossible to insert one.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:03:28 pm by Boris »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »
It seems that your laptop does not have a hardware COM port

True. There is no diskette either. Very few, if any, modern laptops have either one.

is it possible to see comport log file

I don't know of any way to see it. I do have a Belkin USB serial adapter, and a cable. I will give that a try later.

I did turn off the serial port address in the OS2LDR.INI file, but that didn't change anything.

Does uniaud work ok with os/4 kernel on you comp

UNIAUD appears to load okay, but I can't hear anything until UNIMIX turns on the proper controls. UNIAUD doesn't work right anyway (I think that has something to do with the Dolby feature), but it does make sound when using the kernel that comes with eCS 2.2 beta II (and the one in eCS 2.1), after UNIMIX turns on the proper controls.

I find it odd that UNIMIX can't run UNIAUD in OS/2.

Anyway, to avoid the debug version from falling into KBD, you may try writing this

I will try that, and  few other things, when I get a chance. I also need to try it on a different machine.

Thanks...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 12:32:11 am »
Anyway, to avoid the debug version from falling into KDB, you may try writing this

I am not sure how that works, but it will boot if I do that.

I will try the USB to serial adapter, if I can find it. Meanwhile, I guess I will run the os4krnlr version, to see what else shows up.