Public Discussions > General Discussion

Virtualization & OS/2 - How are you using it (if any)?

<< < (5/7) > >>

ppgrainbow:
I'm currently running OS/2 Warp 4 as a guest OS under VirtualBox 7.0.6 without any major problems and I like how support for OS/2 Warp under VirtualBox has significantly improved over the years.
My host machine is Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 on a AMD-FX 4300 quad-core processor with 32 GB of RAM (maxed out on the motherboard) and 2 GB VRAM.My guest OS is OS/2 Warp 4 FP17 (Internal Revision 14.104a_W4 Uniprocessor, 2005-08-11) running with 512 MB of RAM and 64 MB VRAM.

I used to run  OS/2 Warp 4 under Virtual PC 2007 SP! when I was on Windows 8.1 Pro, but I had to move it to a Windows 2000 VMware VM running it under Virtual PC 2004 SP1.

Lars:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on February 04, 2023, 06:07:33 pm ---The browser problem is the one thing, I fear, that has the real "stones" to hurt us badly. Superb efforts are ongoing to extend our viability, but I still struggle with why this hasn't become a prioritized deliverable for our platform - and by that I mean the apparent lack of official backing by the only commercial player in our space, that being AN.

--- End quote ---

Maybe, AN is now putting the emphasis on business customers, then they do not have the need for a working browser.
For a business customer it is likely much more important to have their existing, custom OS/2 application run on native up-to-date HW.

Neil Waldhauer:
I doubt Arca Noae has the resources to port a web browser. If you have used Microsoft Edge, you may also wonder if Microsoft has sufficient resources.

They have stated that running on modern hardware is a priority, as well as having a legal right to sell OS/2.

Per E. Johannessen:

--- Quote from: Lars on March 25, 2023, 01:05:01 pm ---Maybe, AN is now putting the emphasis on business customers, then they do not have the need for a working browser.

--- End quote ---
As a "business user" I can confirm that we definitely need a working browser.

Lars:

--- Quote from: Per E. Johannessen on March 25, 2023, 03:10:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lars on March 25, 2023, 01:05:01 pm ---Maybe, AN is now putting the emphasis on business customers, then they do not have the need for a working browser.

--- End quote ---
As a "business user" I can confirm that we definitely need a working browser.

--- End quote ---

That's good news. Then business and private customers are in the same boat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version