OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Porting question

<< < (5/5)

Neil Waldhauer:

--- Quote from: TNG999 on January 31, 2023, 09:52:11 pm ---Ugh...  I remember again why I'm not a programmer.....   >:(

--- End quote ---

It isn't for everyone. You might be able to document how to use an OS/2 program. The skills needed to make a program are different from the skills needed to describe how to use a program.

Long ago I was with a bunch of hard core Unix programmers, and one of them had to use Windows NT. So I looked over at his screen, and it had a full screen command prompt (running vi) and the registry editor open. He had figured out how to kill explore (which normal people would have called the Windows desktop), which was of no use to him.

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: TNG999 on January 31, 2023, 09:52:11 pm ---Ugh...  I remember again why I'm not a programmer.....   >:(

--- End quote ---

Well, let's not get discouraged far too easily and/or quickly...there are resources out there.

Take a look at https://archive.org/search?query=os2, pick a book that will ease you into the OS/2 DEV game...say something like:

1) "OS/2 Warp Programming For Dummies"
- don't let the title turn you off either, we all start somewhere

2) "OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming" by Charls Petzold
- this will really do a nice job of walking you through every piece of PM API: building controls, windows, putting content into the window, manipulating it, etc.

3) "OS/2 Warp Presentation Manager for Power Programmers"
- in the meantime this little gem will step into the more advanced features, stuff you might not readily touch each and every time, it spends a good amount of time on each of the building blocks of PM programming: menus, notebooks, even stuff like inter-process communciations, etc.

4) "The Art of OS/2 Warp Programming"
- this is the most up-to-date book AFAIK, the original release covered OS/2 2.1, this one is updated to cover V4 and does a very good job of reviewing everything

Once you understand the OS/2 framework itself you are going to be in a much better position attempting to do some porting, where inherently you'll need to be able to map that "other" framework to our OS/2 model.

Hopefully, if you are lucky, your starting point in the porting effort may be pretty close, and therefore require very little "elbow grease".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version