OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Porting question

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on January 17, 2023, 06:30:24 pm ---Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong. Running an Win32 app on OS/2 with Odin, does not necesary means you are porting a Windows app to OS/2. For me it means you are running a Win32 binary that is being intepreted over OS/2 to run.

--- End quote ---

Hi Martin, a Win32 program can be recompiled and linked against Odin giving a native program. Bitwise and before that, Innotek, took that route for some versions of Acrobat, latest Java and Flash and likely others. I've never done it.

As for programs compiled with .NET, guess they'll be a deal breaker.

TNG999:
Ahh yes Mono...

Is there a chromium browser port in progress somewhere still?  I thought I read about it but haven't found a release for it.

I think that's what I need the most to make OS/2 an almost daily-driver.

Thanks...

-m

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on January 17, 2023, 07:30:03 pm ---...a Win32 program can be recompiled and linked against Odin giving a native program. Bitwise and before that, Innotek, took that route for some versions of Acrobat, latest Java and Flash and likely others. I've never done it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the correction Dave. I forgot about that.

Rich Walsh:

--- Quote from: TNG999 on January 17, 2023, 08:30:43 pm ---Is there a chromium browser port in progress somewhere still?

--- End quote ---

That's whal the QT5, QT6, and Dooble threads are all about. Use AN Package Manager (ANPM) to install the official (and pretty usable) versions of QT5 and Dooble. The QT6 port is coming along but definitely still of alpha-quality/stability.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi TNG999

--- Quote from: TNG999 on January 17, 2023, 08:30:43 pm ---Is there a chromium browser port in progress somewhere still?  I thought I read about it but haven't found a release for it.

--- End quote ---

We have the preview release of "dooble" running on Qt5 on the RPM Repository. You can install it with ANPM or by running "yum install dooble". If you don't see it, you may need to change your platform to "pentium 4" on ANPM.  Give it a try.

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version