Author Topic: ArcaOS on Youtube @MichaelMJD  (Read 22595 times)

JPM

• View Profile
ArcaOS on Youtube @MichaelMJD
« on: January 19, 2023, 06:56:40 pm »
"You might think OS/2 is long gone, but it still lingers around in more places then you'd expect. Today's video covers ArcaOS, an OS/2-based operating system designed to work with newer hardware!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXKvku6y5A

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS on Youtube @MichaelMJD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 01:42:19 am »
Hi

Very nice video, and it has a lot of repoductions too (28,981 in 7 hours).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:40:57 pm »
Interesting that he also has WP 5.2, and I see he encountered some of the same problems as me with using it.

FWIW, the weird colour problem he has is a known issue.  I have this saved from comp.os.os2.apps from ages ago when I was trying to set this up...

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:33:53 GMT

Gary Bishop wrote:
>
> I may be the only one still trying to use this but here goes.
> WordPerfect for OS/2 ran fine under Warp3 but when I upgraded to Warp4
> everything works ok except the font palette does not seem to recognize
> any of the setups. Instead of a white background with black text most
> of the time it is reversed (black background/white text). I have tried
> lots of settings with no luck. Anyone got a fix or suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!!
>
> Gary Bishop
> University of Denver
> gbishop@du.edu
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

You are not the only one!  I've been using it for years and the fixpacks
to Warp 4 have made it much more stable than it was in Warp3 and basic
warp 4.

The fix is easy and documented. Just add the switch /FL in the Optional
parameters section of the WP properties icon object.

--
SENT BY: Lynn Scott McCarty
    Markham, ON, Canada
    lsmccarty "at" home "dot" com

I also found that the WPS classes it registers are rather unstable on OS/2 4.5x.  I used this script post-install to remove them.
Code: [Select]
/* WPFIX.CMD */
IF ( RxFuncQuery('SysCreateObject') == 1 ) THEN DO
    CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysLoadFuncs', 'REXXUTIL', 'SysLoadFuncs'
    CALL SysLoadFuncs
END

CALL KillClass 'WordPerfectDocument'
CALL KillClass 'WordPerfectGraphic'
CALL KillClass 'WordPerfectFile'
CALL KillClass 'WordPerfectObject'

SAY 'Please reboot or restart the Workplace Shell.'

RETURN

KillClass: PROCEDURE
    PARSE ARG classname

rc = SysDeregisterObjectClass( classname )
    IF rc = 1 THEN
        SAY 'Class' classname 'successfully deregistered.'
    ELSE
        SAY 'Class' classname 'could not be deregistered.'

RETURN rc

I don't have a YouTube account, otherwise I might post this as a comment on the video.  (Anyone else is free to.)

FTR, I haven't actually used WP/2 for a long time, even with the above I never found it to be all that stable on OS/2 4.5x.

Lars

• View Profile
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:46:36 pm by Lars »

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 08:25:56 pm »
Could it be that WordPerfect uses the Micrografx Mirrors?
Micrografx Draw, Micrografx Designer and Corel Mosaic for OS/2 use the Mirrors and have problems with the display of colors. You can easily use these programs if you drive back the color depth of the graphics driver, e.g. to 256.

Does anyone know if there was ever a fix for the Mirrors who fixes the problem?

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 01:53:48 am »
WP does indeed use MIRRORS.DLL (I just double checked and sure enough it's there on diskette 1).

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 02:14:03 pm »
ok, so that likely means, the color resolution should be changed to anything else but 256 colors. For example, you should change to 16 colors (lousy) or true color (16 Million colors). Then, according to that article in "PC Mag", that should get rid of that "white text on black background" problem.

If I`d have to guess I would think that there is a problem if colors are selected from a palette instead of being directly coded in RGB.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:16:42 pm by Lars »

davidrg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 11:08:23 pm »
And it seems Arca Noae issued a copyright takedown notice - the video is gone: https://twitter.com/mjdtweets/status/1620121728105218049

Seems like a bit of an abuse of the youtube takedown mechanism. Even if Arca Noae doesn't like the video for some reason they shouldn't just go pretending they hold the copyright for it and asking for youtube to remove it.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:26:50 am »
Read through this and you know why:
https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,3251.msg37902.html#msg37902

They don't have any guts to take a stand against criticism.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:32:05 am by Lars »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 10:43:15 am »
That is what I mean with "The holy Grail" ArcaOS.

Instead of using facts to convince critics of the opposite, they prefer to be silenced.

Imagine that on Windows: how many videos are there that criticize something, rightly or wrongly, and how many then have to delete these videos? Is that actually what is meant by "censorship"? As 007 once said to Q in Goldfinger "You must be joking!"

When I started OS/2 in 1995, I heard about the "OS/2 evangelists" and their very deterrent strategy for spreading OS/2. Doesn't an operating system also live from the discussion about it, from the rough edges that it may have?

Oh man, I can only hope that this is a misunderstanding and that the few people who deal with ArcaOS and also make it public are not alienated. For me, this also means very clearly: Am I glad that I deleted the ArcaOS channel. There will be no more videos about ArcaOS from me until further notice. But there are plans for OS/2 again!

I hope that ArcaNoae will still rethink this. So in my opinion you only destroy everything yourself, or as a German computer magazine once wrote in connection with a publication about OS/2: "IBM is cutting off its own arms and legs again."

But in the end it may sadly lead to: "Who cares at all?"

JPM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 01:22:55 pm »
That's very sad. This was the best advertisement for ArcaOS for those interested in retro computing due to the reach of MJD... Maybe LGR would have made a video too.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 01:28:50 pm »
And it seems Arca Noae issued a copyright takedown notice - the video is gone: https://twitter.com/mjdtweets/status/1620121728105218049

Seems like a bit of an abuse of the youtube takedown mechanism. Even if Arca Noae doesn't like the video for some reason they shouldn't just go pretending they hold the copyright for it and asking for youtube to remove it.

I don't know why they did that, I'm against this censorship.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:58:36 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 02:08:58 pm »
Just a speculation:

Is there a connection between the blocking of the video and the failure of the 2rosenthals website? By the way it is still marked as an infected site by Bitdefender.

Perhaps the video generated so much traffic on the ArcaNoae site that the servers went down because of this and the video may have been taken off the market for the time being.

Or one of the old Windows evangelists has noticed and doesn't want a new OS/2.

All speculation. The only onces able to tell what is really going on are at Arca Noae.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 02:18:56 pm »
MichaelMJD's review was not only one of the best production value videos regarding OS/2 in a long time... His channel has a wide-reach of enthusiasts who would be the most likely to spend money on ArcaOS licenses. This is simply unacceptable on Arca Noae's part. As far as I'm aware, Michael was pretty forthright and honest with his review and in spite of all the flaws, still came off with highly positive feelings regarding our platform.

I'm astounded that a company with virtually no competition on the OS/2 platform would go to such an extent. What are potential buyers gonna do, go to Ecomstation? Install Warp 4.52?

Most of Michael's viewers are within the age bracket of 20 to 30. With this action, all that AN has done at this point is further stifle their hopes of market viability for their 5.1.x "retro gamer release". My personal theory is that they want to try to suppress coverage until 5.1 is out, this is not the way to go about it. I say this as someone who fits squarely in this demographic, if I saw this conduct with no prior history with the OS/2 platform, I would absolutely not drop the 129 USD on ArcaOS after witnessing this.

All in all; Arca Noae and Lewis in particular, you have taken down an overall positive review from one of the bigger retro enthusiasts on Youtube for no apparent reason. Please consider the implications of this action on an untapped market you have repeatedly stated you wish to target.

My personal recommendation: release a fully honest explanation as to why the video was taken down and perhaps conduct an interview/guided-tour with Michael regarding 5.1. I will also repeat this - his audience is a large portion of your target enthusiast market, do not anger your target market, especially this close to a major release.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:03:04 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 02:21:50 pm »
By the way it is still marked as an infected site by Bitdefender.
Maybe you should discuss this with Bitdefender. It's there fault it seems. Both mantis and ArcaNoae main website works from here.

Perhaps the video generated so much traffic on the ArcaNoae site that the servers went down because of this

No. See above.

All speculation.
Agree.

As I usually don't follow links to videos I've no clue what was the video all about. Can someone who saw the video sum up what was shown there?