Author Topic: ArcaOS on Youtube @MichaelMJD  (Read 22605 times)

Lars

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS on Youtube @MichaelMJD
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 02:32:29 pm »
Just a speculation:

Is there a connection between the blocking of the video and the failure of the 2rosenthals website? By the way it is still marked as an infected site by Bitdefender.

Perhaps the video generated so much traffic on the ArcaNoae site that the servers went down because of this and the video may have been taken off the market for the time being.

Or one of the old Windows evangelists has noticed and doesn't want a new OS/2.

All speculation. The only onces able to tell what is really going on are at Arca Noae.

I can access: http://www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress/jfs-chkdsk-options-on-os2-1020/
without a problem. Your problem seems to be Bitdefender specific.

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 04:21:38 pm »
I don't know why they did that, I'm against this censorship.
Saw the video and I'm guessing it was because he didn't use a review copy? He borrowed an iso from a friend and blurred out the reg info.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 08:21:49 pm »
It's all conjecture. I like to believe that Arca Noae wouldn't be daft enough to take it down but who knows.
One problem is the way the DMCA and YouTube interact, it is way too easy to take down a video, by almost anyone, with no appeal to mention. Could have been music playing in the background, a candy bar wrapper too visible, or some bot's imagination. I didn't watch the video.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 12:43:23 am »
Hi

Here it is the twitter message from the author that was linked here on the forum: https://twitter.com/mjdtweets/status/1620121728105218049

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

davidrg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 11:07:09 pm »
As I usually don't follow links to videos I've no clue what was the video all about. Can someone who saw the video sum up what was shown there?

Seems the situation has been resolved and the video is back online if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXKvku6y5A - according to twitter he will detail what happened soon

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 11:17:56 pm »
Hi

It is good to see that the video is back.  It has 240K views now.

My guess is that Arca Noae signed that typical agreements that says that "Arca Noae should protect IBM's copyright on their product", and that freaked them out to don't have problems with a big corporation that can wipe you out of business easily.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 01:01:31 am »
Having watched the video I have to ask why use Word-perfect or even attempt to install it?  I also get the impression that he doesn't really know what he is doing  because of flapping the mouse pointer all over the place and moving windows for no reason.

I very much doubt that it will cause anyone to try OS/2 ArcaOS.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 03:07:31 am »
Having watched the video I have to ask why use Word-perfect or even attempt to install it?

It seems that he has the original diskettes. The temptation to test old software on OS/2 when you have the original diskettes is irresistible  ;D ;D ;D   
https://youtu.be/9vXKvku6y5A?t=567
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 06:57:53 am »
In that case he should have tried it on OS/2 v 2.1 and a 486 based computer.

Sorry but I can't understand those living in the past and thinking OS/2 is the past.  With that attitude it will never go forward and IBM should open it up so that others can take it forward even if they dropped it because of pressure from MS.

davidrg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 08:37:37 am »
In that case he should have tried it on OS/2 v 2.1 and a 486 based computer.

Sorry but I can't understand those living in the past and thinking OS/2 is the past.  With that attitude it will never go forward and IBM should open it up so that others can take it forward even if they dropped it because of pressure from MS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the major selling points of ArcaOS that it its a supported OS that runs your existing OS/2 apps without modification on modern hardware?

To me that's what sets it apart from "hobby" operating systems like Haiku or SerenityOS, its value proposition for companies. Protects their existing investment in OS/2 apps they wrote back in the 90s. Apps they potentially don't have source code for or would cost far too much to port to or rewrite for another platform.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 08:52:46 am »
That happens, when you react as you were still or live in the 90's of last century on a video that is published 30 years later...

Yes, there is a license contract with IBM, but even though it might be better to inform possible violaters about it first. If I understand correctly, this contract did not forbid the video.

May be next time it is a good advice to contact the author of the video before crashing all down. But the damage is already there.

But due to all this negative attitude on ArcaOS and the "possible legal" problems with making a video about it now, I wonder if anyone else with such a wide spreeded channel will ever report about it.

I would very much like to be convinced otherwise! There have been so much tremendous work done by ArcaNoae with ArcaOS that it is really a pitty to have such a negative publicity now.

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 09:30:34 am »
It seems someone catfished MJD and ratted him out :-[

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 09:43:13 am »
I am glad we now have answers in regards to what happened. With increasing public attention - I believe it would strongly benefit AN to hire someone who can more capably investigate license theft/piracy, a public relations manager couldn't possibly hurt either. This case highlights a dire need for both.

It's well understood at this point that Arca Noae's primary focus is on their corporate clientele, but for their sake, I believe they'd best be hiring the expected faculties for a business which is focused on selling a software product in this day and age.

Regardless, a public statement from Arca Noae wrapping up this situation in addition to a guided interview with Michael would greatly benefit both sides of this problem, at least from a PR perspective.

Personally, I had been planning on starting a Youtube channel highlighting my day-to-day experiences upon the release of 5.1. At this point, I'm highly unsure of this being a good idea - at least until AN fixes up their act. I'm certain already established channels who may have had the idea of creating any content regarding AOS are feeling the same.

Lastly, to quote a comment from from the video:
If they believed that imposter email imagine how easy it would be to trick them into handing over all you data that was collected when purchasing this software lmao

There are some severe implications to such a haphazard approach to license management.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:46:03 am by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 01:14:47 pm »
Hi

Sadly this backfired badly in my personal opinion:
- Comments on YouTube and Twitter are more focused on how it is possible that Arca Noae believed a scammers e-mail and did not validate the email by writing back.
- While it was a good opportunity to show ArcaOS to a wider audience it became a very little scandal about censorship.
- I'm not sure if the video author (that has 350K subscribers) is happy with the video performance and will eventually do more ArcaOS videos. He took the opportunity to look like a victim of copyright abuse.
- Arca Noae was picture as abusive because of the copyright strike. A strike is very serious for a YouTuber that makes money from the platform, because 3 strikes and your account gets deleted. Even if they remove the strike, a profitable YouTuber will make a lot of noise for each Strike he gets, specially if it is unfair.
- What worries me also is that there is a dumb ass sending fake emails and trying to screw ArcaOS, and we don't have resources to handle that kind of stupidity.
Any publicity is good publicity?

Regards
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:29:49 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 01:22:04 pm »
Hi Ibrahim

Personally, I had been planning on starting a Youtube channel highlighting my day-to-day experiences upon the release of 5.1. At this point, I'm highly unsure of this being a good idea - at least until AN fixes up their act. I'm certain already established channels who may have had the idea of creating any content regarding AOS are feeling the same.

I had been holding down to release any pictures, videos, or even technical questions about ArcaOS 5.1 on the public forum, for respect that I had been authorized to be on the beta tester group and since it is an unreleased close source product. I would not worry about copyright issues, because, since I'm not making any more it will fall over the "fair use" under the "Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976" since it is more educational and news reporting.

I just hope that official version 5.1 get released soon.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster