OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

USB32 USBMSD problem of re-read diskette

(1/4) > >>

Igor:
The problem is partially solved by replacing the USBMSD driver with a similar one of the 16-bit version. At the same time, USB2 disk2 work and do not operate USB3 discs.
Provided to replace the diskette in the drive is determined and re-read correctly and all functions also work correctly - recording, reading, formatting, which unambiguously indicates a problem in the USBMSD driver from AN.
To my regret, AN, after my appeal, did not show interest in solving the problem, despite the ticket issued according to their requirements. They referred to the fact that everything works for them.

Lars:
As can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXKvku6y5A

the presenter stated that none of his 3 USB floppy drives would work with ArcaOS (I assume 5.0.x), so that answers the "everything works for us".

I assume that with the "USBMSD driver of the 16-bit version" you mean the USBMSD.ADD from my USB driver set.
Yes, I can tell you that it needed quite a few fixes to redetermine the inserted floppy media. And I know that it works with my updated driver because I have a USB floppy drive to test with.

I am pretty sure that AN never picked up these fixes and they never will.

Lewis Rosenthal:
Hi, guys...

Test system here:

ThinkPad T560
Lenovo Docking Station (17EF:1010 (HS hub with single TT) Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Dock Hub)
ArcaOS 5.0.7
USB stack 12.14 / USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1
Teac FD-05PUW (0644:0000 (MSD)-(UFI)-(CBI-I) FS TEAC Corp. Floppy)

Device hot plugs. Insert media; able to read, able to write; eject media; insert different media; able to read, able to write.

Same system, but swap out the Teac drive with:

IBM USB portable FDD (057B:0000 (MSD)-(UFI)-(CBI-I) FS Y-E Data, Inc. FlashBuster-)

Same result. Disks insert, readable, writable, eject, replace with different disks, reading/writing still possible.

The only thing I didn't test was formatting. Okay, testing... Formatting works as expected (in the IBM drive, at least).

I fail to see what is wrong, sorry.

Lars:
I think I can tell you what`s wrong: a few years ago, you (Lewis), sent me a Mitsumi USB floppy drive to test.
And that drive did NOT work with the USBMSD.ADD back at the time. Seemingly, there are drives that are more sophisticated, there are even drives that can actually eject a diskette via a command (instead of a mechanical eject), there are drives that have a "diskette change" signal and therefore do not need to be polled for a change but this "cheapo" drive would not do.
After quite some fiddling I found out how to properly interpret the "sense codes" that the USB floppy drive sends back. I then based the media (re)determination on the "proper" sense codes to react upon. Additionally, had to add some logic when and how to reattempt reading from media.
So, as so often with USB, not every USB floppy drive is equal.
That also solved the problem that it is no longer required to have a diskette already inserted when attaching the USB floppy drive to have the diskette propery be detected if you want to access it later on. Plus the desperate attempts of the OS to read from a USB floppy diskette ad infinitum whenever the "Drives" object is opened (and no diskette is inserted in the floppy drive).
Again look at the video: that guy is saying that he tried with 3 different USB floppy drives and none would work.

https://youtu.be/9vXKvku6y5A?t=601

Igor:
Hi, Lewis!

--- Quote from: Lewis Rosenthal on January 21, 2023, 09:06:48 pm ---Hi, guys...
I fail to see what is wrong, sorry.

--- End quote ---

I completely believe that you do not see what is wrong. I understand perfectly well that everything works for you and does not question your messages.

However, I have a device that works with Windows 7, works with another driver and does not work with your driver.

I propose to make tests for your instructions for you, send additional logs.

P.S. A long time ago (more than 20 years ago) in a distant galaxy... I worked as a programmer in large projects of American companies. If I answered the customer to the claim that I have the software I developed work properly, I would have lost my job :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version