Author Topic: Qt6 Application Testing  (Read 161329 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Qt6 Application Testing
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2023, 08:54:14 pm »
Hi Martin,

Really not tested - and no qt6webengine stuff included - but https://smedley.id.au/tmp/qt6-6.3.2-os2-20230228.zip updates most of the libs to v6.3.2 - which seems to be compatible with the 6.2.4 abi based on what I've tested so far...

I think I got confused, does this Qt   6.3.2 replaces everything? Should we only test this one from now on?
I changed the main post, but I'm not sure if it is right.

Sorry for the confusion.... Qt 6.5 (the next LTS version) should be out in the next month or so, so I'm trying to prepare for this by getting us closer to that codebase, so any warts can be ironed out in advance. From my limited testing, this *should* be a drop in replacement on top of Qt 6.2 - but I'm not sure if anything will break... Hope that helps...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2023, 09:24:28 pm »
Seems to be covered by this configure option
Code: [Select]
-sse3/-ssse3/-sse4.1/-sse4.2/-avx/-avx2/-avx512
                       Enable use of particular x86 instructions [auto]
                       Enabled ones are still subject to runtime detection.
Adding -no- such as -no-avx disables.
I'll attach the output of configure --help.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2023, 12:35:03 am »
Hey Paul,

The 6.3.2 version seems to work with Dooble about as well as the 6.2 version as far as I can tell - no better, no worse. Maybe it takes longer for YouTube to hang, but it still hangs (I was able to play a video once for about 5 seconds before hanging). Other apps tried (qBittorent, QtTube, Scribus) all have the same issues with both versions, but nothing new. The examples also seem the same - anything with 'QML' or 'Quick' in the name and some with 'SQL' don't work, but everything else I tried so far does... thanks!

EDIT: BTW - your Dooble github site does not have a facility for lodging issues, is that intentional?

Regards,
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 02:37:22 am by David McKenna »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2023, 02:43:11 am »
Seems to be covered by this configure option
Code: [Select]
-sse3/-ssse3/-sse4.1/-sse4.2/-avx/-avx2/-avx512
                       Enable use of particular x86 instructions [auto]
                       Enabled ones are still subject to runtime detection.
Adding -no- such as -no-avx disables.
I'll attach the output of configure --help.

Thanks - this options exists in qtbase from Qt6 as well. I'll rebuild qt6-base-os2 and try see if it changes any flags within chromium - I'm not sure that the gn build system will take any notice of these flags, but happy to be wrong.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2023, 02:56:29 am »
Hey Dave,
  The 6.3.2 version seems to work with Dooble about as well as the 6.2 version as far as I can tell - no better, no worse. Maybe it takes longer for YouTube to hang, but it still hangs (I was able to play a video once for about 5 seconds before hanging). Other apps tried (qBittorent, QtTube, Scribus) all have the same issues with both versions, but nothing new. The examples also seem the same - anything with 'QML' or 'Quick' in the name and some with 'SQL' don't work, but everything else I tried so far does... thanks!

EDIT: BTW - your Dooble github site does not have a facility for lodging issues, is that intentional?

Thanks for testing! The Qml/Quick examples fail with the workerscript error? Re: dooble fork and issues - the default for forks is to not allow issues to be raised.  I would suggest most issues with Dooble/2 would be best raised in the Qt6-webengine-os2 repository.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2023, 02:57:40 am »
Do you think that qBittorrent will work now? or are still some components missing to be ported?

I wouldn't expect anything to have changed - there is something funky about the way qBittorrent creates sockets that needs exploration - I just haven't had time to dig into it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2023, 07:24:45 am »
Hey Dave,

Thanks for testing! The Qml/Quick examples fail with the workerscript error? Re: dooble fork and issues - the default for forks is to not allow issues to be raised.  I would suggest most issues with Dooble/2 would be best raised in the Qt6-webengine-os2 repository.

All ways good to test with the simplebrowser to see if something is a Dooble issue or webengine.

Paul, and I guess Roberto too, have you checked what codec is being used on your system? Right click the video and choose stats for nerds. Curious is you're actually using av1.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an easy way to disable av1 in Dooble or the webengine. In Chrome, you can enter chrome://flags/#enable-av1-decoder to get at the setting, dooble doesn't accept chrome: URL's. SeaMonkey does accept some such as chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul to get the old cookie manager. It also raises the question of whether chromium would accept the chrome: url.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2023, 09:19:10 am »
Looks like vp9?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2023, 12:12:15 pm »
Paul,

Yes, it's the workerscript error with the QML/Quick examples....

Regards,

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2023, 04:02:25 pm »

How to start dooble qt6  (my opinion)

Today I had a little free time in my work, and decided to install Qt6 dooble,
 and I used a rexx-cmd proposed here, and it did not start missing qt6core.dll.
  I decided how I have in my HP8760W, modifying the config.Sys directly, and the difference is important:

edit config.sys

SET PATH=;c:\var\tmp\qt6\bin;.......your other paths.....(Attention  path=;)

---Not necessary, but if you want--- set BEGINLIBPATH=c:\var\tmp\qt6\lib

SWAPPATH=L:\ 0 512000

VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2816

save your config.sys

Unpack :

https://smedley.id.au/tmp/qt6-6.3.2-os2-20230228.zip
     install in c:\var\tmp\qt6.....

https://smedley.id.au/tmp/dooble-2023.02.20-os2-qt6-20230219.zip
      install in c:\var\tmp\qt6\bin

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3252.0;attach=9213  vpx113.zip
      install in c:\var\tmp\qt6\lib

restart the system

Remember to eliminate your previous profile, for some good tests, to report them.
(C:\var\tmp\qt6\bin)erase d:\home\.dooble

(C:\var\tmp\qt6\bin)dooble.exe           run and play

I hope nobody tells me that it doesn't work.

Saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2023, 05:22:08 pm »
Looks like vp9?

Perhaps check a couple as not all videos have been re-encoded to av1. Would explain why YouTube works for you. This is in vbox? Perhaps the virtual CPU doesn't support AVX.
Here's the Qt5 version of Dooble, didn't feel like rebooting. According to the issue at Bitwise, the first release of Qt5 worked, perhaps no av1 support, otherwise with qt5, the video and sometimes the tab hangs.
Edit: might have nothing to do with AVX, as VP9 should also support it. Wonder why your system gets VP9 instead of AV1?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 08:03:00 pm by Dave Yeo »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2023, 02:56:58 am »
Interestingly, with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmtIva6SsVk I get vp9 even with chrome on linux....

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2023, 03:43:52 am »
Yes, I get vp9 as well. As said, not all have been re-encoded, it's a big job. I did get a av1 commercial when I reloaded the page.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2023, 05:41:53 am »
Did the VP9 video play for you (in Dooble/Qt6)?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2023, 07:04:16 am »
Did the VP9 video play for you (in Dooble/Qt6)?

Didn't try. Busy with other stuff so didn't want to lock the computer. At least the Qt5 build allows a graceful exit from Dooble when it hangs instead of a reboot and chkdsk, fast on JFS but still a few minutes.