OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0.7

<< < (2/4) > >>

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Have to follow standard guidance... disable AHCI in BIOS, delete all partitions on the drive before installing, etc.
--- End quote ---

I really don't know where you got this "guidance" (it certainly is not "standard"). AHCI works fine (and is noticably faster than IDE), as long as the computer (hardware) supports it. If you aren't sure, add driver support for both AHCI, and IDE, and ArcaOS will use whatever it finds first (looking for AHCI first, by default).

Deleting all partitions on the drive, is not required, as long as you use the ArcaOS tools (and nothing else) to rearrange what exists.

It is true, that ArcaOS 5.0 probably doesn't contain enough help, but https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/ has some information, that may not be in the included docs. It is MUST reading for anybody using ArcaOS, especially when you are new to it.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

Maybe TNG999 got confused and disabled AHCI thinking it is not supported. Or he confused AHCI with UEFI. Everything has four letter these days. 

Regards

Sigurd Fastenrath:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on January 28, 2023, 03:41:29 am ---
If you want to help, at least use the current version.
--- End quote ---

If you want to distract Users from ArcaOS and People from this forum, that is the way to go!

ArcaOS 5.07 is not the holy Grail, we have OS/2, eComstation and Arcaos Users here. Any Hardware Information is welcome!

In Addition it is NOT a must to read the wikis, it helps, but for a lot of people, believe it or not, English is not their mothertongue.

TNG999, please do not hesitate to ask your questions and post your Informations.

For myself I am using a pimped up OS/2 4.52 Version on Hardware, Arcaos 5.07 wont even Start the Installation. But that does not mean, that my OS/2 is the best around.

This Forums live because we have all flavours of OS/2 here, ArcaOs is just one of them, the most modern and the one I would suggest for a new User.

Mo:
It might depend on the controller. I used to have an Lenovo Thinkpad x121e. I needed to switch the SATA Controller to compatible mode as in ahci mode no drive was found using ArcaOS 5.04 (i do not have this Laptop anymore so i couldn't test with more recent versions.)

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Sigurd Fastenrath on January 28, 2023, 09:25:45 pm ---...
ArcaOS 5.07 is not the holy Grail, we have OS/2, eComstation and Arcaos Users here. Any Hardware Information is welcome!
For myself I am using a pimped up OS/2 4.52 Version on Hardware, Arcaos 5.07 wont even Start the Installation. But that does not mean, that my OS/2 is the best around.

This Forums live because we have all flavours of OS/2 here, ArcaOs is just one of them, the most modern and the one I would suggest for a new User.

--- End quote ---

I couldn't have said it any better Sigurd.

The 'ArcaOS or Bust' mantra is a perfect example of what I would call "group think". Don't get me wrong, if you are NEW to OS/2 platform AOS is probably THE way to get your feet wet...heck, not even "probably", I would in fact say it is THE way to do so!

However...plenty of us here are running on old hardware (as well as some new stuff) and using the older versions of OS/2...most likely Warp4 derived/based stuff though.

Therefore, I would also encourage the sharing of your experience...others may, and most probably will, benefit from it, any by chance you may in fact get some hints and pointers on how to address whatever issue you may be running into!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version