Author Topic: Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0.7  (Read 11840 times)

TNG999

• View Profile
Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0.7
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:32:34 pm »
Hi all,

Maybe someone can copy and paste this into the Wiki, but I've tested installation ArcaOS 5.0.7 on a number of machines.  Here are my results:

Successful installations:
Thinkpad x301 type 2776-L9U
Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH
HP ProDesk 400 G3 T4L77UT#ABA
Dell Lattitude something (have to check the model)

Ethernet wired LAN works... wifi does not.  Sound works.

Have to follow standard guidance... disable AHCI in BIOS, delete all partitions on the drive before installing, etc.

Failed installations:
HP Compaq dc5150

Hope this might help someone out there.....

-m

Edited to include full ArcaOS version number (5.0.7 instead of 5.0)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 10:41:59 pm by TNG999 »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 03:41:29 am »
Well, ArcaoS 5.0 is ancient history. The current version is ArcaOS 5.0.7. which contains a LOT of fixes.

Have to follow standard guidance... disable AHCI in BIOS, delete all partitions on the drive before installing, etc.

This is probably not required, and should not be required.

Hope this might help someone out there.....

If you want to help, at least use the current version.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 07:47:39 am »
Not everyone has the latest release, some people also like to use older releases for whatever reasons. Any information in relation to a particular release may help someone else out in future, and the information, even if not used, is always welcome as it may aid in a problem that has flown under the radar for current releases. If the information is not shared, then it certainly will never be of help.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 03:42:22 pm »
It is helpful to test some installations of ArcaOS on some computers. But the name printed on the computer case is not enough information.

Look at my website for a better summary of information for one computer. http://www.blondeguy.com/ComputersForSale.html

Or look at the OS/2 World wiki and the information there, although that is also often not enough. If you are installing ArcaOS, a good start is to produce the testlog for the finished installation.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 03:45:50 pm »
Hi TNG999

Thanks for the information. I will include your hardware on the wiki. But I will really appreciate is if you can generate the pci.exe report on each machine, so I can include that detail on the wiki.

I have this article that will tech you how to use it: "Extracting Hardware Information from ArcaOS and OS/2"

Those reports gave me more detail if the hardware components you are running so I can create a page like this one: Lenovo Thinkpad L420

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 06:13:36 pm »

I really don't know where you got this "guidance" (it certainly is not "standard"). AHCI works fine (and is noticably faster than IDE), as long as the computer (hardware) supports it. If you aren't sure, add driver support for both AHCI, and IDE, and ArcaOS will use whatever it finds first (looking for AHCI first, by default).

Deleting all partitions on the drive, is not required, as long as you use the ArcaOS tools (and nothing else) to rearrange what exists.

It is true, that ArcaOS 5.0 probably doesn't contain enough help, but https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/ has some information, that may not be in the included docs. It is MUST reading for anybody using ArcaOS, especially when you are new to it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 06:30:22 pm »
Hi

Maybe TNG999 got confused and disabled AHCI thinking it is not supported. Or he confused AHCI with UEFI. Everything has four letter these days. 

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 09:25:45 pm »

If you want to help, at least use the current version.

If you want to distract Users from ArcaOS and People from this forum, that is the way to go!

ArcaOS 5.07 is not the holy Grail, we have OS/2, eComstation and Arcaos Users here. Any Hardware Information is welcome!

In Addition it is NOT a must to read the wikis, it helps, but for a lot of people, believe it or not, English is not their mothertongue.

TNG999, please do not hesitate to ask your questions and post your Informations.

For myself I am using a pimped up OS/2 4.52 Version on Hardware, Arcaos 5.07 wont even Start the Installation. But that does not mean, that my OS/2 is the best around.

This Forums live because we have all flavours of OS/2 here, ArcaOs is just one of them, the most modern and the one I would suggest for a new User.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:05:39 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 10:03:00 pm »
It might depend on the controller. I used to have an Lenovo Thinkpad x121e. I needed to switch the SATA Controller to compatible mode as in ahci mode no drive was found using ArcaOS 5.04 (i do not have this Laptop anymore so i couldn't test with more recent versions.)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 11:06:02 pm »
ArcaOS 5.07 is not the holy Grail, we have OS/2, eComstation and Arcaos Users here. Any Hardware Information is welcome!
For myself I am using a pimped up OS/2 4.52 Version on Hardware, Arcaos 5.07 wont even Start the Installation. But that does not mean, that my OS/2 is the best around.

This Forums live because we have all flavours of OS/2 here, ArcaOs is just one of them, the most modern and the one I would suggest for a new User.

I couldn't have said it any better Sigurd.

The 'ArcaOS or Bust' mantra is a perfect example of what I would call "group think". Don't get me wrong, if you are NEW to OS/2 platform AOS is probably THE way to get your feet wet...heck, not even "probably", I would in fact say it is THE way to do so!

However...plenty of us here are running on old hardware (as well as some new stuff) and using the older versions of OS/2...most likely Warp4 derived/based stuff though.

Therefore, I would also encourage the sharing of your experience...others may, and most probably will, benefit from it, any by chance you may in fact get some hints and pointers on how to address whatever issue you may be running into!

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 11:14:53 pm »
It might depend on the controller. I used to have an Lenovo Thinkpad x121e. I needed to switch the SATA Controller to compatible mode as in ahci mode no drive was found using ArcaOS 5.04 (i do not have this Laptop anymore so i couldn't test with more recent versions.)

On my motherboard, which is a AMD 890FX and SB850 chipset, I couldn't get the AHCI driver to work reliably. It would find the SSD, no problem there, it would access it just fine...however periodically the machine would literally freeze...no response, everything stopped, this would last for about 5-10 secs, after which time it would then proceed to run once again.

I tried to narrow this down to either my JFS cache settings, or driver parameters, heck, even played with the motherboard ports I was connecting to...never established the root cause, so I gave up on trying to get AHCI working here.

As to the speed comment...I'm not sure that it's any faster actually. The testing I was able to do showed exactly the same results, however, I will say that the system 'response' seems to be improved, and that's precisely what AHCI can deliver, after all it re-arranges the drive commands in such a way that the hardware itself delivers the information faster. This is normally very pronounced when dealing with spinning disks since the amount of head movement is minimized, and that in turn allows for a more efficient retrieval of data from the disk. SSDs on the other hand don't seem to benefit from this as much, at least that was my experience while I was playing around with it.

Bottom line: you need to test your hardware, and if you are running AOS and encountering problems do report this to AN by logging an Issue, it's the only way to improve the software by making the authors aware of the issue.

TNG999

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:21 pm »
Hi!

I'm sorry, it is 5.0.7 I'm using. I'll update the original post.  I apologize for the confusion.

I'll work to get the pci.exe output for you too.

I find I almost always have to turn of AHCI for the drive to be seen in the installer.  Sometimes need to turn off Hyperthreading too.  I'll document what BIOS changes I had to make for each system too. 

Thanks.  I appreciate a lively bunch and glad people are active out there!

-m
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 10:50:51 pm by TNG999 »

TNG999

• View Profile
Re: Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0.7
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 11:27:18 pm »
Ok here's one text file of the output of pci.exe from a machine.

HP Folio 9470m laptop
HP Part Number:  D3K33UT#ABA

Intel Core I7-3687U 2.1GHz
12GB RAM

BIOS Settings Changed:
SecureBoot is disabled
Boot Mode is set to Legacy
SATA Device Mode set to IDE

Let me know if this is good and if any other info about the machine would be helpful.  Thanks.

-m

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 11:49:32 pm »
Hi!

I'm sorry, it is 5.0.7 I'm using. I'll update the original post.  I apologize for the confusion.

I'll work to get the pci.exe output for you too.

I find I almost always have to turn of AHCI for the drive to be seen in the installer.  Sometimes need to turn off Hyperthreading too.  I'll document what BIOS changes I had to make for each system too. 

Thanks.  I appreciate a lively bunch and glad people are active out there!

-m

You should always turn off hyper-threading, our scheduler expects all cores to be equal.

TNG999

• View Profile
Re: Some successful installs with ArcaOS 5.0.7
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 12:00:19 am »
Noted.. Thank you.

-m