Author Topic: VPN into home LAN with Injoy Firewall or something else?  (Read 3625 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
VPN into home LAN with Injoy Firewall or something else?
« on: April 27, 2023, 01:26:39 pm »
Anyone running Injoys Firewall VPN feature?

Or how to you connect securely into your home LAN from outside world?

It seems to be possible to configure an AVM Fritzbox for this task. Is there a simple how to to get this working? I mean connection from the outside with a notebook running OS/2 (or Linux or Win) to my internal OS/2 server and ...

ivan

• View Profile
Re: VPN into home LAN with Injoy Firewall or something else?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 08:00:45 pm »
Not sure this will help you but you could look at the TP-Link TL-R600VPN unit.  Get the manual and see if it will do what you want.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 01:38:18 am »
Hi Andi B.

I'm sorry that I don't know much about networking.

My guess is that it will be interesting is to know which protocol/standards uses the "AVM Fritzbox" to create a VPN ( PPTP? ).  After that check if you can set a VPN with it and working with other OS like Windows and Linux and be sure it works.

Once you know which protocol it uses, we need to check if Injoys Firewall VPN  supports it or if there is some other alternative.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 08:34:58 am »
I'm thinking about two different ways -
- let AVM Fritzbox make the VPN and find a client which can connect to it (from OS/2, Linux & Win)
- configure AVM Fritzbox the way that my OS/2 server is in the trusted zone (let all internet traffic go to my server) and try to make the VPN with Injoys Firewall settings

The former should be simple, though I've no clue how to do it for OS/2 clients. See the picture below what AVM says how it works for iOS and Android (neither one is of any interest for me). The later may be even more challenging but maybe even more secure (security by obscurity - no one out there tries to break into an OS/2 server these days :-)).

I've no clue about IPSec or ... Hints appreciated.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 10:11:49 pm »
One solution, I think should work

Have a NAS server connected to a internet box or having internet connection possible
ex: Synology NAS + DSM interface   (I have a 703+)

Install/customize the VPN PPTP server with No MPPE   (Injoy VPN client allow PPTP connection without encryption 'MPPE")
Dynamic ip@ e.g. 10.0.0.0
Authentification MS-CHAP v2
Manual DNS (e.g. your internet box ip@)

Define autorized users with needed access under the NAS.
Once done, the VNP client using PPTP + userid + password should be able to establish a connection  after updating the internet box routing table

On you internet box open needed ports from from internet to your NAS ip@ to access the VPN server
Under VPN client, define the VPN server ip@ seen from internet and use PPTP as well + userid + password

I could not give it a test but I used similar configuration with windows (PPTP) and Injoy allows PPTP VPN (no encryption)
Not easy and of course, no supported encryption (MPPE)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:14:17 pm by Remy »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 01:59:20 am »
I run a site-to-site VPN using a pair of Firewalla Purples. This runs between my house and our holiday house.  I can configure which clients get to use the VPN using the Firewalla app.

Using this,  I'm able to VNC to the bare metal AOS install I have at home, whilst sitting at my holiday house :)