Author Topic: SYSINST2.EXE failed to return target drive in 4.52  (Read 4653 times)

hush

• View Profile
SYSINST2.EXE failed to return target drive in 4.52
« on: June 18, 2023, 05:06:24 am »
hey all! first off, thanks for maintaining a space for niche computing topics.

i am currently working with an IBM PC server 500 system/390, a first generation pentium system with the fast/wide "cheetah" RAID controllers. i have a set of boot floppies for warp 4.52 that claim to include support for large disks, and have two RAID arrays- one 9GB, and one 18GB. i am able to get as far as loading the third floppy and continuing the install from CD before the SYSINST2.EXE error rears its ugly head, and i cannot continue. i am able to drop to a command line before that point, and i have seen that running X:\OS2IMAGE\DISK_1\SYSINST2.EXE manually may work, but i am unable to get to that directory on the CD- the shell simply complains that DISK_1 does not exist.

the system previously ran warp 3 and i have been able to reinstall it, but i would like to get 4.52 running if at all possible. appreciate any insight you can provide!

edit: for anyone reading this and having the same issue, i was able to get warp 4 installed, but not 4.52. for some reason warp 4 will accept the IBMRAID.ADD driver for my devices, but 4.52 will not using the exact same method of modifying boot floppies and installing from CD. i am unfortunately just not sure why this is. my initial suspicion was that the DAC960 driver is conflicting as having both installed will cause this system to panic on boot blaming the DAC960 driver, but booting without that driver does not help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:50:48 am by hush »

Pete

• View Profile
Re: SYSINST2.EXE failed to return target drive in 4.52
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 12:50:52 am »
Hi

Sounds like no disks are found...

Could that be related to your RAID arrays? - Does the 4.52 boot floppy load supporting drivers? You may have to add them into the config.sys used by the boot floppy.

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 01:12:28 am »
i was able to get warp 4 installed, but not 4.52. for some reason warp 4 will accept the IBMRAID.ADD driver for my devices, but 4.52 will not using the exact same method of modifying boot floppies and installing from CD. i am unfortunately just not sure why this is.

If 4.0 works and 4.5 doesn't, I'd _guess_ that the difference is LVM. I 'd read all those plain-text ReadMeToo files on the CD looking for mention of this device and LVM.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 01:40:23 am »
Also how are the drives and CDRom connected and is the RAID in the BIOS or? Seems that at least the VM/CMS side of the hardware has some weird DASD drivers. I'd assume any drivers that Warp 3 hads are present on 4.52.

hush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 02:17:33 am »
Also how are the drives and CDRom connected and is the RAID in the BIOS or? Seems that at least the VM/CMS side of the hardware has some weird DASD drivers. I'd assume any drivers that Warp 3 hads are present on 4.52.
the drives are just connected to "cheetah" RAID controllers via a SCSI backplane, the IBMRAID.ADD driver from those option diskettes works to get them to show up in 4 but not 4.5. i will have a look into LVM, as i can't really think of any reason this shouldn't work in 4.5. even using the same driver and basedev line in config.sys doesn't do it, it's strange.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 02:32:50 am »
Looks like LVM.EXE is on disk 6. You mentioned being able to get to a cmd prompt, perhaps create a floppy from DISK_6 and try to run LVM.EXE and see if it sees your drive and if you can partition and assign a drive letter to it.

hush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 02:44:41 am »
i will give that a shot and report back, thank you!