Author Topic: Virtualbox - LVM stopped working  (Read 16798 times)

Glenn

• View Profile
Virtualbox - LVM stopped working
« on: February 09, 2023, 09:48:21 am »
Hi all, I have my ArcaOS on VirtualBox, and everything was working fine, until yesterday when I saw that my second virtual HDD was not here anymore. I tried running LVM GUI, and nothing happened. Went to command line, and running the lvm command shows that it does not work anymore.. no idea why (maybe some INI cleanup at boot time that messed up an LVM-related setting?).
Has anyone experienced that problem ? If yes, how did you solve it?
Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:36:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: LVM stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 10:30:36 am »
Mini-LVM (from the System folder/icon), lvmgui (java based) or lvm??? cli version?

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:28:39 am »
Mini-LVM (from the System folder/icon), lvmgui (java based) or lvm??? cli version?
The ones I tried were mini-LVM from system folder icon and lvm on command line (the screenshot). Have not tried the java based. Is there any hope it would work when the others do not?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 12:34:36 pm »
Is there any hope it would work when the others do not?
I don't think so, sorry. My question was because lvmgui need a working java environment while AFAIK Mini-LVM need some Rexx libraries.

Based on your comment I fear your problem is more fundamental. Unfortunately I'm out of ideas.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 01:38:02 pm »
Hum !

I got one time this kind of message and it was because lvm was already open by an other process not stopped...
Check running processes if this could help.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 03:02:15 pm »
Any chance the LIBPATH stuff got messed up somehow?

What happens if you "cd" to let's say \os2\dll and try to fire it up from there?

lvmgui.cmd is in \os2, and if you start that up it'll look for lvmgui.zip in your CLASSPATH or directly in \os2\javaapps.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 03:05:21 pm »

What happens if you "cd" to let's say \os2\dll and try to fire it up from there?

lvmgui.cmd is in \os2, and if you start that up it'll look for lvmgui.zip in your CLASSPATH or directly in \os2\javaapps.

If OS2\DLL would not be correctly in the libpath OS/2 would most not even start up...

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 03:10:12 pm »
The ones I tried were mini-LVM from system folder icon and lvm on command line (the screenshot). Have not tried the java based. Is there any hope it would work when the others do not?

All not going to help. LVM.DLL can be loaded but for some reason the LVM dll can not access the disc somehow.
Hence wording it failed to open the LVM engine. Its not an issue of not being able to load the DLL.
Minilvm, lvm.exe and the java version all use lvm.dll so they will all have the same resuit.

Hmmm interesting.

Did you update to Virtualbox 7 ?

Roderick

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 04:31:24 pm »

All not going to help. LVM.DLL can be loaded but for some reason the LVM dll can not access the disc somehow.
Hence wording it failed to open the LVM engine. Its not an issue of not being able to load the DLL.
Minilvm, lvm.exe and the java version all use lvm.dll so they will all have the same resuit.

Hmmm interesting.

Did you update to Virtualbox 7 ?

Roderick

Hi Roderick.. Yes I updated to Virtualbox 7, but quite a bit ago, and it had been working fine until yesterday...

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 05:23:07 pm »
To my fellow posters: if you don't know the answer, please keep your hands off the keyboard! Ill-considered, *untested* answers that send people down deadends are not "helpful".

Glenn, Remy offered one of two likely reasons for this (LVM engine already open).

The other is that your 2nd disk isn't using an MBR layout. To keep LVM engine from destroying disks laid-out using GPT & LUKS, a crude fix was added: if it finds one of these disks, it won't even start the LVM engine. The solution is either recreate/repartition as MBR or just blank the first 63 sectors of the disk. If this still doesn't fix the issue, I can PM you a workaround to get rid of the message (AYOR!).

FWIW... in AOS 5.1, GPT disks will be supported and any other type of layout will be hidden by the disk drivers, so this problem shouldn't arise.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 06:24:11 pm »
Rich!

To my fellow posters: if you don't know the answer, please keep your hands off the keyboard! Ill-considered, *untested* answers that send people down deadends are not "helpful"...

Wow man...who messed around with your breakfast cereal today???

Dude, take a "chill pill" if you must...no one on this forum provides feedback with a "guaranteed to work" clause, but for sure these are all intended to be (hopefully) useful suggestions.

What is going on here recently...???

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 06:26:15 pm »
Roderick,

If OS2\DLL would not be correctly in the libpath OS/2 would most not even start up...

Roderick

Sure...reasonable conclusion on your part, but did I actually say THAT "OS2\DLL" got removed from LIBPATH???

I think not!

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 08:34:46 pm »
Roderick,

Wel what can "wrong with your libpath". The DLL's in in \os2\dll are in that location unless you copy them manually to different places.
That could cause issue's. However I have never seen anybody do that. So what else could "wrong with your libpath".
The error message does not point in that direction.

The issue is that the LVM engine is having an issue. Its a DLL loading issue.

Roderick

Roderick

Sure...reasonable conclusion on your part, but did I actually say THAT "OS2\DLL" got removed from LIBPATH???

I think not!

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 08:35:38 pm »
Hi all, I have my ArcaOS on VirtualBox, and everything was working fine, until yesterday when I saw that my second virtual HDD was not here anymore. I tried running LVM GUI, and nothing happened. Went to command line, and running the lvm command shows that it does not work anymore.. no idea why (maybe some INI cleanup at boot time that messed up an LVM-related setting?).
Has anyone experienced that problem ? If yes, how did you solve it?
Thanks for any help!

Run from an OS/2  command line LVM /startlog:C:\lvm.log. Then we can see what is possibly happening.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 08:46:30 pm »
Hi

I hope that my suggestions does not sound dangerous.
1) I think it will be good to take an "testlog generic" report and post it here to see how ArcaOS recognizes the HDDs.
2) Can you double check the attached virtual drives on the VirtualBox host, just to be sure you are pointing right to the two virtual HDD files?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.