Author Topic: Virtualbox - LVM stopped working  (Read 16800 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: LVM stopped working
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 12:59:56 am »
Rich's suggestions are the likeliest ones.

You said you tried MiniLVM, but you didn't say what error it reported.  Unlike the command-line LVM, MiniLVM will normally give you an informative error message about what went wrong (and a help button pointing you to more information). I suggest you see what it says.

(FTR, MiniLVM doesn't use REXX at all.)

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 08:07:06 am »
Thanks for clarification. Do you use standard PM windows programmed in C? With URE created resource files or manually edited text files? Just curious....

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 09:29:47 am »
Move back to the latest 6.1.x Version of Virtualbox.

Version 7.0.6 does odd things. I can still start my eComStation installation but not my ArcaOS 5.0.6 installation. It will trap early with a "SYS2027" error ("Insert a system diskette and restart the system").

EDIT: I can also say that 6.1.42 does not work. The last one that worked ok was 6.1.40. What I could observe is that with 6.1.40, I can attach my (bootable) ArcaOS virtual hard drive as a 3. hard disk to my eComStation installation and it would boot from the eCS virtual (1st) hard drive and I could then run a chkdsk on the ArcaOS partition.

With 6.1.42, it would instead attempt to boot from the (broken) 3rd hard drive (ArcaOS) and of course, fail on that.

Now after reverting to VirtualBox 6.1.40, my ArcaOS partition is unfortunately broken to the extent that chkdsk will no longer do:

[e:\]chkdsk e: /F
The current hard disk drive is: E:
The type of file system for the disk is JFS.
The JFS file system program has been started.
JFS0068: CHKDSK  Superblock is corrupt and cannot be repaired becaus
primary and secondary copies are corrupt.  CHKDSK CANNOT CONTINUE.

There must be some change from 6.1.40 to 6.1.42 and likely also to 7.0.6 that led to a change in disk ordering on boot.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 10:27:54 am by Lars »

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 05:44:07 pm »
And without touching anything, the system works again without problem - LVM starts (on command line and mini-LVM), the drive is recognized, etc.

This is far fetched, but this problem could it have a relationship with NetDrive? I noticed that it happened when my DHCP did not get an address, but when it does get one, then there is no problem. Either that is a pure coincidence, or there is something in the network that messes up the LVM, and I can only see NetDrive as a culprit..

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 08:39:16 pm »
Now back at home... and again LVM does not work, no second drive - even if DHCP manages to find the network. So really puzzled as to why it would work sometimes and not other times..

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 09:24:51 pm »
Now back at home... and again LVM does not work, no second drive - even if DHCP manages to find the network. So really puzzled as to why it would work sometimes and not other times..

Do you have programs that display or identifies devices D, CD ROM etc and/or drive letters....
If yes, it may be possible it uses LVM (may be LVM rexx dll) 

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 10:38:06 pm »
Does the second (and first) drive show up in hardware manager

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 11:25:05 pm »
Does the second (and first) drive show up in hardware manager

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 02:30:25 pm »
Hi Glenn

There is an ongoing issue with VirtualBox 7, ArcaOS and vitual HDD. I haven't been personally affected of it.
Rich87 opened a ticket on Virtualbox: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21334
But the issue that I found is that he is mixing UEFI, NVME and the HDD bug, which may confuse the ticket.

I use the virtual HDD on VirtualBox as IDE PIXX4 or ACHI.

Just a wild shot, do you want to try to attach your 2nd HDD virtual drive to a new SATA controller? (like the picture). (always take a backup)
And see if later run some fix tool on the 2nd HDD.  Just to see what happens. I would like to know if the bug is related to IDE, SATA or both controllers.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:49:25 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 02:54:40 pm »
EDIT: I can also say that 6.1.42 does not work. The last one that worked ok was 6.1.40. What I could observe is that with 6.1.40, I can attach my (bootable) ArcaOS virtual hard drive as a 3. hard disk to my eComStation installation and it would boot from the eCS virtual (1st) hard drive and I could then run a chkdsk on the ArcaOS partition.

With 6.1.42, it would instead attempt to boot from the (broken) 3rd hard drive (ArcaOS) and of course, fail on that.

There must be some change from 6.1.40 to 6.1.42 and likely also to 7.0.6 that led to a change in disk ordering on boot.

Here it is 6.1 changelog: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.1
There are some SCSI changes, but I guess are unrelated.

Here it is 7.0 Changelog: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-7.0
Some SCSI changes on 7.0.4, but again, nothing related to IDE or SATA.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Glenn

• View Profile
Re: Virtualbox - LVM stopped working
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2023, 03:21:10 pm »
Well the problem has changed a bit today. My D drive is still inaccessible, but I could start the LVM, and somehow it appears that the D drive was renamed to E, but E being already taken, that cannot work...

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2023, 08:50:52 pm »
And without touching anything, the system works again without problem - LVM starts (on command line and mini-LVM), the drive is recognized, etc.

This is far fetched, but this problem could it have a relationship with NetDrive? I noticed that it happened when my DHCP did not get an address, but when it does get one, then there is no problem. Either that is a pure coincidence, or there is something in the network that messes up the LVM, and I can only see NetDrive as a culprit..
Netdrive is not involved.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Virtualbox - LVM stopped working
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 01:38:32 pm »
Hi

I have not experienced the issue with VirtualBox 7.0.6 yet.

Is it possible to reproduce the bug on VBox 7.0.4, 7.0.6?
Does it only applies for IDE, SATA or both?
Can we define what is the bug result, what is exactly happening to the virtual HDD drive?
 -- JFS0068: CHKDSK  Superblock gets corrupt ?

I want to see if we can have a repeatable bug procedure to report it on the ticket.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2023, 05:32:13 am »
Thanks for clarification. Do you use standard PM windows programmed in C? With URE created resource files or manually edited text files? Just curious....

It's straight-up C and PM-OS/2 APIs. The resource files were originally created using dlgedit but are manually edited and maintained since.

I used a similar approach for LVMPM, although the main window is created programatically (and uses various custom controls): https://github.com/altsan/os2-lvmpm
(I really should get back to this program at some point, it currently lacks proper GPT support.)