OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

USB wifi adapters

<< < (2/3) > >>

TNG999:
Oh interesting solution...  I haven't seen that type of "converter" before...  Thanks for this , I'll look to get one.

-m

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

There is an issue with "Ethernet to Wifi" adapters, there are laptops without Ethernet port. -- It is more of an issue of the laptop  ;D

So, without internal wifi support we require maybe:
1) USB Ethernet support so we can plug it to "Ethernet to Wifi" adapter.
or
2) USB Wifi support

I would love to have USB Wifi support, at least a variate of a couple of cheap adapters, just to have a fall back plan for wifi.
If someone will be willing to create a driver, maybe we can raise some money for it. I want to support this if someone wants to create a driver.

Regards

Neil Waldhauer:
Wouldn't plain WiFi support, which at Arca Noae is apparently nearly done, be better? Do you see machines with USB, but without WiFi?

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on February 26, 2023, 03:05:03 pm ---Wouldn't plain WiFi support, which at Arca Noae is apparently nearly done, be better? Do you see machines with USB, but without WiFi?

--- End quote ---
Yes, it will be better, but...
- We had been waiting for it for very long, I personally haven't hear of any beta or have any access to early version.
- I remember David A. saying that Wifi support was going to be focused only on Intel, at least at first. There may be some other laptops with other brands that may require a different solution, like an USB wifi adapter.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
There is at least one USB Ethernet chipset that works on OS/2, thought it was documented at Arca Noae but can't find it currently.
Seems the big problem with WiFi is turning the radio on and off, no standard and ever changing. USB WiFi will have the same problem.
Edit: USB ReadMe.txt mentions USBMOS.OS2 (Moschip USB to Ethernet driver) so I assume any USB Ethernet stick based on Moschip would work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version