Author Topic: Win-OS2 full screen session- Mouse moves choppy / Half screen  (Read 7180 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Win-OS2 full screen session- Mouse moves choppy / Half screen
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:12:14 pm »
Hello

I'm having this issue with ArcaOS 5.0.6 as a guest on VirtualBox. I have Panorama on 1920x1080 resolution running on the VM.

When I run the Win-OS2 full screen session, the mouse moves in a "choppy" way, which means it jumps spaces. Also I can not move the mouse from the middle of the screen to the bottom. I only can move the mouse on the upper half side of the screen.

Anybody else is experiencing this on Win-OS2  full screen session? Any tips?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Win-OS2 full screen session- Mouse moves choppy / Half screen
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:27:19 pm »
Yeah. Don't use Panorama (or SNAP) in a VM. Use GRADD, then update it to the version in the additions.

Ramon Perez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 07:42:07 pm »
Hello Martin, nice to meet you, I'm new.
I had the same problem and found out that the last working vboxmouse.sys file was version 5.1.38 (09-05-2018, 40Kb).
I fix it using that driver and no apparent malfunction with VB7.0
I assume you know, but the old versions of VirtualBox OS2Additions can be downloaded here:
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
For what it's worth.
Regards.

By the way, the problem is the same using Snap, Panorama or Gradd, I have tried it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:22:33 am by Ramon Perez »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 08:36:44 pm »
That has never worked. The trick is to use windowed session, however you can enlarge that session to full screen. My tip is to let a small border of OS/2 visible. If something happens in that windowed session you can with your mouse take control in the OS/2 taskbar (border). In this way the OS//2 mouse can be used as it should.

Ramon Perez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 10:43:59 pm »
Thanks Joop, but this solution works fine on WinOS2 fullscreen of ArcaOS, using VirtualBox. Do it and check it out for yourself.
Currently I am not having any problem with ArcaOS on Virtual Box, although I have used the physical machine and I have had many problems with the windowed sessions of DOS and WinOS2.
Regards.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 11:10:18 pm »
The problems with windowed DOS/WinOS2 sessions are due to something lacking in the video BIOS and is pretty common. The good news is that ArcaOS 5.1 in UEFI mode uses its own video BIOS and windowed DOS/WinOS2 sessions work well. Hopefully 5.1 will be released soon.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 01:38:05 pm »
Hi Ramon.

Thanks for the pointer.
- Downloaded https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.38/VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.38.iso
- Replaced vboxmouse.sys 6 to version 5.1.38
  5-09-18 12:26p        40,821    227 a--r  vboxmouse.sys
- Rebooted

But the result is the same, on the WinOS2 full screen session I can not get the upper half of the screen working.

Maybe it is something additional you did to work it out.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ramon Perez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 03:52:04 pm »
Hello Martin:
If I install a Vboxmouse.sys driver dated after version 5.1.38 (I tried several, including the last 7.0.6), exactly the error you explain occurs.
I tried several of date before that version and they did not give me error.
It can be significant, although it can also be associated with another parameter that I ignored.
I do not remember changing anything especially. I keep with REM the AMOUSE.SYS and USBMOUSE.SYS lines in CONFIG.SYS (VMOUSE.SYS is not modified)
I am using the maximum resolution 1920x1080 16Mc, with GRADD, according to the recommendations of the forum,
Panorama gives the same error with the same criteria, I have also tried it.
I hope that it would be useful to someone.
Greetings.

KO Myung-Hun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 10:33:49 am »
Hi/2.

Workaround is:

1. Disable mouse integration on Input - Mouse integration menu after Win-OS2 full screen session
2. Grab mouse by clicking OS/2 VM window
3. Press host key to release mouse from OS/2 VM window after Win-OS2 full screen session quit
4. Enable mouse integration on Input - Mouse integration menu

KO Myung-Hun

Ramon Perez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 03:36:10 pm »
Hi/2.

Workaround is:

1. Disable mouse integration on Input - Mouse integration menu after Win-OS2 full screen session
2. Grab mouse by clicking OS/2 VM window
3. Press host key to release mouse from OS/2 VM window after Win-OS2 full screen session quit
4. Enable mouse integration on Input - Mouse integration menu

KO Myung-Hun

Hi:
Perfect, solved
Although I had it figured out with an rough solution, this allows me to use the latest version of the driver with all its advantages.
I hope Martin will now solve the problem.
This forum is useful, thanks for the contribution.
Regards.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 12:55:57 am »
Thanks, that's a good workarround.

I didn't even notice that "Mouse Integration" on the Input menu. Thanks for pointing it to me.

Next question, opinions, should it be good to publish it as a bug in the VirtualBox ticket system?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 08:49:24 pm »
Has nothing to do with ArcaOS or Win-OS/2. The problem here is that Windows 3.1 has its limitations regarding screen size. Sick as Microsoft is,  that's hard coded. So full screen is not recognized because today the size is far to big. Matter of fact is that windowed session does have a bug, they didn't hard coded the mouse there, as in full screen. You just run out of mouse space in full screen session. The method with windowed session is a work around and in Win-OS2 the size of the windowed session is remembered. To make it worse, some packages seems to have an own mind how to use the mouse. I always did use OS/2 or eComstation on bare metal and want to do so with ArcaOS if a Dutch version ever arises. I did do things in my  old environment which can't be repeated in Windows or Linux. Found that Rexx is not the same in those other OS'es. Further more I did use Embellish, but that package won't run in today's windows. And I have lots of drawings in Embellish format, which is not available in other packages. So lots of adaptions before you can work comfortably in Windows or Linux.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 08:03:28 am »
WinOS2 runs fine at 1920x1200 full screen and Michal at the OS2Museum has been experimenting with 16 Windows drivers, even had Win v1 running at 1080P. It's a matter of the video driver supporting such a high resolution and none seemed to back in the day, as there weren't really any monitors that did. There are too many things hard coded at 640x480, dialog windows and such as well as various games.