OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Utilities

DUMPFS setup

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lars:
If the trap dump setup was properly followed (need to update config.sys manually with the TRAPDUMP keyword installer does not do that) and it still does not work, then I would go with Dave's comment:
need to move the partition to an AHCI or PATA managed Disk (or a RAM disk if you use latest ArcaOS).
As an additional check just in case something went wrong: the OS2DUMP module in the root dir should have size 10525 bytes. That's the specialized OS2DUMP that it needs for DUMPFS.IFS to work.

If you use a RAM disk, you will need need to format the partition on each system start (via startup batch file). In that case, also do not forget to first format to JFS and then to DUMPFS (as you had been doing manually).

David McKenna:
 OK, thanks Dave and Lars... I was afraid it might be the NVMe drive. If ArcaOS 5.1 is ever actually released I was planning on running exclusively on NVMe, so guess I should try to set up with a RAM drive.

Do either of you know if this is something that could be added to the NVMe driver, or is it a kernel limitation? I could raise an issue at the Arca bug tracker...

Regards,

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Lars on March 05, 2023, 12:56:49 pm ---As an additional check just in case something went wrong: the OS2DUMP module in the root dir should have size 10525 bytes. That's the specialized OS2DUMP that it needs for DUMPFS.IFS to work.

--- End quote ---

I also checked the ability of my system to create a dump  (Os4Krnl, OS4Dump)

Dumping is ok  but  I cannot delete dump file  -  fc/2 said:

--- Code: ---╔════════════════════════════════════╗
║ Disk write protected, cannot write ║
║          Q:\DUMPDATA.001           ║
║  [ Retry ]  [ Skip ]  [ Cancel ]   ║
╚════════════════════════════════════╝
--- End code ---

but it seems to me that the deletion worked on earlier versions of dumpfs.ifs

Alex Taylor:

--- Quote from: David McKenna on March 05, 2023, 02:03:56 pm --- OK, thanks Dave and Lars... I was afraid it might be the NVMe drive. If ArcaOS 5.1 is ever actually released I was planning on running exclusively on NVMe, so guess I should try to set up with a RAM drive.

Do either of you know if this is something that could be added to the NVMe driver, or is it a kernel limitation? I could raise an issue at the Arca bug tracker...

--- End quote ---

I suggest you open an issue on the bug tracker, yes (and include a testlog).  That's generally the best way to get a problem addressed.

Lars:

--- Quote from: OS4User on March 05, 2023, 02:32:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lars on March 05, 2023, 12:56:49 pm ---As an additional check just in case something went wrong: the OS2DUMP module in the root dir should have size 10525 bytes. That's the specialized OS2DUMP that it needs for DUMPFS.IFS to work.

--- End quote ---

I also checked the ability of my system to create a dump  (Os4Krnl, OS4Dump)

Dumping is ok  but  I cannot delete dump file  -  fc/2 said:

--- Code: ---╔════════════════════════════════════╗
║ Disk write protected, cannot write ║
║          Q:\DUMPDATA.001           ║
║  [ Retry ]  [ Skip ]  [ Cancel ]   ║
╚════════════════════════════════════╝
--- End code ---

but it seems to me that the deletion worked on earlier versions of dumpfs.ifs

--- End quote ---

I doubt that it worked before. In any case, deletion does not work but of course, copying does (from but even to the dump partition!)
Deletion does not really make sense as a subsequent dump will just completely overwrite the existing dump (without the need to reformat the partition).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version