OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

Ungodly slow localhost search

(1/4) > >>

R.M. Klippstein:
Is there a way of speeding up the localhost searches when using CUPS to modify printer settings. On a system with 4 processors and 2 gb memory I get "waiting for localhost" and wait 3 to 4 minutes as well as the same wait when "transferring data from localhost"?
Thanks for any input!

klipp

Dave Yeo:
Try using a different address? My computer local address is 192.168.0.2 and I use that.

Ian Manners:
Hi klipp

in your x:\mptn\etc\hosts file you should have

127.0.0.1             localhost

and in your x:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd you should have

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

apart from that I've no idea, I keep meaning to install cups myself, probably will do when I really need to use our home networked printer.
(I'm happy with my personal HP deskjet 9300)

Then try Dave's idea and use your local external IP address.

Doug Bissett:
CUPS seems to be very unpredictable. I couldn't get older versions to work, at all. Then, it started working at some version, but I saw what Klipp is describing (perhaps even worse, because the system needed to be rebooted to get back into the CUPS control, most of the time). The very latest eCUPS seems to work a LOT better, but I found that I need to mix, and match, the parts, to get it to work properly, and I think there is still a problem with USB.EXE (I think I have the latest version, which is supposed to fix the problems), but I haven't confirmed that, yet.

Overall, I get the best results when using a WiFi connected HP D110a printer. I have a very similar HP C4180 printer, that is USB connected. I also have a canon i960, which works, but isn't perfect (it works better with the OMNI i950 driver).

At the moment, I get pretty good performance from:
cups-base-1_4_8_3.wpi
cups-1.6.2-backends-os2.zip (except USB.EXE)
cupsgui.wpi
ecupshp-pdr-20100304.wpi
ghostscript-8_7_1.wpi
gutenprint-5_2_9.wpi
hpaio-3.13.3-os2-20130526.zip
hplip-3_12_10a.wpi
USB.EXE, dated May 26, 2013.

You may need other packages, depending on what printer you have.

Oh yeah, the scanners both work, using the command line, but TAME can't seem to figure out having two scanners to work with.

Paul Smedley:
Hi Klipp,

--- Quote from: R.M. Klippstein on February 06, 2014, 02:56:13 am ---Is there a way of speeding up the localhost searches when using CUPS to modify printer settings. On a system with 4 processors and 2 gb memory I get "waiting for localhost" and wait 3 to 4 minutes as well as the same wait when "transferring data from localhost"?
Thanks for any input!

--- End quote ---

I've seen this too in testing locally, but not sure what causes it.  I'll get around to debugging/fixing it one day.  It hasn't been a huge priority, as once configured, how often does one need to access http://localhost:631?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version