Author Topic: Ungodly slow localhost search  (Read 22734 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Ungodly slow localhost search
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:56:13 am »
Is there a way of speeding up the localhost searches when using CUPS to modify printer settings. On a system with 4 processors and 2 gb memory I get "waiting for localhost" and wait 3 to 4 minutes as well as the same wait when "transferring data from localhost"?
Thanks for any input!

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Ungodly slow localhost search
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:00:59 am »
Try using a different address? My computer local address is 192.168.0.2 and I use that.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:46:01 am »
Hi klipp

in your x:\mptn\etc\hosts file you should have

127.0.0.1             localhost

and in your x:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd you should have

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

apart from that I've no idea, I keep meaning to install cups myself, probably will do when I really need to use our home networked printer.
(I'm happy with my personal HP deskjet 9300)

Then try Dave's idea and use your local external IP address.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:06:36 am by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:00 am »
CUPS seems to be very unpredictable. I couldn't get older versions to work, at all. Then, it started working at some version, but I saw what Klipp is describing (perhaps even worse, because the system needed to be rebooted to get back into the CUPS control, most of the time). The very latest eCUPS seems to work a LOT better, but I found that I need to mix, and match, the parts, to get it to work properly, and I think there is still a problem with USB.EXE (I think I have the latest version, which is supposed to fix the problems), but I haven't confirmed that, yet.

Overall, I get the best results when using a WiFi connected HP D110a printer. I have a very similar HP C4180 printer, that is USB connected. I also have a canon i960, which works, but isn't perfect (it works better with the OMNI i950 driver).

At the moment, I get pretty good performance from:
cups-base-1_4_8_3.wpi
cups-1.6.2-backends-os2.zip (except USB.EXE)
cupsgui.wpi
ecupshp-pdr-20100304.wpi
ghostscript-8_7_1.wpi
gutenprint-5_2_9.wpi
hpaio-3.13.3-os2-20130526.zip
hplip-3_12_10a.wpi
USB.EXE, dated May 26, 2013.

You may need other packages, depending on what printer you have.

Oh yeah, the scanners both work, using the command line, but TAME can't seem to figure out having two scanners to work with.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:38 am »
Hi Klipp,

Is there a way of speeding up the localhost searches when using CUPS to modify printer settings. On a system with 4 processors and 2 gb memory I get "waiting for localhost" and wait 3 to 4 minutes as well as the same wait when "transferring data from localhost"?
Thanks for any input!

I've seen this too in testing locally, but not sure what causes it.  I'll get around to debugging/fixing it one day.  It hasn't been a huge priority, as once configured, how often does one need to access http://localhost:631?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:39:19 am »
as once configured, how often does one need to access http://localhost:631?

Now that is a leading question.   ;D

I find myself into the site more often than you might think necessary. The key is "as once configured". It can take a while to sort it out, and that gets to be a bit frustrating when you sit and wait for localhost. Even after it is configured, I find myself having to check on job status (which doesn't seem to take as long, but isn't quick), more often than not.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:17 am »
as once configured, how often does one need to access http://localhost:631?

Now that is a leading question.   ;D

I find myself into the site more often than you might think necessary. The key is "as once configured". It can take a while to sort it out, and that gets to be a bit frustrating when you sit and wait for localhost. Even after it is configured, I find myself having to check on job status (which doesn't seem to take as long, but isn't quick), more often than not.

lol - didn't intend to be provocative :)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »
Hi Paul, You're point is well taken, If the printer is working you don't need to screw with it  -- But there still are "odd-balls" like my self that keep trying to make unsupported printers function with CUPS, I guess my only excuse is that it keeps me out of the bars! Maybe you could get yourself "Cloned" and then have more time to devote  to these projects of lesser importance!

Thanks for all the GREAT work!   klipp

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:38 am »
Hi guys,

Are any particular functions from http://localhost:631 often slow - or is it random? I have some ideas, but would like some ideas on how best to reproduce.....

FWIW - Modify printer seems pretty responsive here. My cupsd.exe is:
 4/11/12  15:56         402,408         124  cupsd.exe

Not sure this is available publically, perhaps I should release a refresh? Yes it is - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76425158/cups-1.4.8-os2-20121221.zip which should be the same as ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/ecups/install/cups-base-1_4_8_3.wpi

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:57:42 am by Paul Smedley »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »
My cupsd.exe is:

That is the one that I am using (see my list), and, as I said, it works a LOT better than earlier versions, but that may have something to do with changing printers too. I now have a HP C4180 (USB connected), and a HP D110a (WiFi connected), which replaced my old Canon i960 (USB connected), which almost worked with CUPS.

Scanning also works with both of the HP printers, but TAME has a serious problem when there are two similar scanners. I have to use the command line, or I can use the built in web page scanner, on the WiFi connected printer (much faster, and easier, than messing with TAME anyway).

The biggest CUPS "problem", that I see now, is the Server error 500  (or whatever it says), when you save a configuration change, but simply going back to the page where you want to be, always works.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 12:50:31 am »
Hi Paul, I've got pretty much the same setup as Doug (Cups 1_4_8_3). Seems anything that needs to do localhost has a delay of 45 seconds to 1min 30 seconds -- Select printers,Select Que,Modify printer. Also when modifying a printer and you get to the last part where you tell it to go ahead and modify the printer, you need to click on the administration tab (or other option) real quick or you get "500 Internal Server Error". I have 2 USB printers and "Find New Printers" sometimes sees one of them but never both. Possibly problems that remain with USB in eCS Beta ll which is what I'm running on this box, but I have nothing to prove that.  Using Linux (Cups 1.5.3) there is virtually no delay with localhost and USB detection works correctly also.

Hope this helps!  klipp

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 02:19:14 am »
My cupsd.exe is:

That is the one that I am using (see my list), and, as I said, it works a LOT better than earlier versions, but that may have something to do with changing printers too. I now have a HP C4180 (USB connected), and a HP D110a (WiFi connected), which replaced my old Canon i960 (USB connected), which almost worked with CUPS.

Scanning also works with both of the HP printers, but TAME has a serious problem when there are two similar scanners. I have to use the command line, or I can use the built in web page scanner, on the WiFi connected printer (much faster, and easier, than messing with TAME anyway).

The biggest CUPS "problem", that I see now, is the Server error 500  (or whatever it says), when you save a configuration change, but simply going back to the page where you want to be, always works.

IIRC there were some changes to the socket non-blocking code to work around some libc bugs which improved things. I've seen the Error 500 in the past, but couldn't reproduce it last night :(

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 02:20:44 am »
Hi Paul, I've got pretty much the same setup as Doug (Cups 1_4_8_3). Seems anything that needs to do localhost has a delay of 45 seconds to 1min 30 seconds -- Select printers,Select Que,Modify printer. Also when modifying a printer and you get to the last part where you tell it to go ahead and modify the printer, you need to click on the administration tab (or other option) real quick or you get "500 Internal Server Error". I have 2 USB printers and "Find New Printers" sometimes sees one of them but never both. Possibly problems that remain with USB in eCS Beta ll which is what I'm running on this box, but I have nothing to prove that.  Using Linux (Cups 1.5.3) there is virtually no delay with localhost and USB detection works correctly also.

Hope this helps!  klipp

What happens if you use http://127.0.0.1:631 instead of http://localhost:631 ?

I'll try do some testing on a native OS2 machine with two USB printers when I get a chance - most of my testing is under Virtualbox with network printers.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 03:18:42 am »
Changing to 127.0.0.1:631 made no difference.

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:54 am »
Changing to 127.0.0.1:631 made no difference.

klipp

Did you ever try a non-local address? Either the local network address or even your internet address?
I found localhost really slow when cups was working here but my local address of 192.168.0.2 was fairly quick (still not instant)