OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

AHCI and Virtualbox

(1/3) > >>

Paul Smedley:
Hi All,

On my recent NUC, I'm running ArcaOS under Virtualbox (Ubuntu host). All works great, except the image I'm using was originally setup using IDE - and disk IO (when tested with Sysbench) is slow with write speeds in particular. I was looking to switch to AHCI - but when attempting to do this I get the dreaded OS/2 is unable to operate the hard disk message - seems the disk images aren't found.

Any hints to fix this? On another VM I was able to switch to AHCI without issue, so not sure what I might be doing wrong!

Cheers,

Paul.

Lars:
Have you updated the config.sys of the image to load OS2AHCI.ADD instead of (or in addition to) the DANIS506.ADD ?
Obviously, you will need to start Virtualbox having the OS/2 guest use IDE, update config.sys and then switch over VirtualBox to AHCI.

Paul Smedley:

--- Quote from: Lars on March 27, 2023, 12:28:48 pm ---Have you updated the config.sys of the image to load OS2AHCI.ADD instead of (or in addition to) the DANIS506.ADD ?
Obviously, you will need to start Virtualbox having the OS/2 guest use IDE, update config.sys and then switch over VirtualBox to AHCI.

--- End quote ---

Yes - definitely os2ahci.add is in config.sys (in addition to danis506.add). I've even tried solely using os2ahci.add.

I might have to do a fresh install, but it would be nice not to have to try work out which rpm packages to reinstall....

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Paul

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on March 27, 2023, 10:01:06 pm ---.... but it would be nice not to have to try work out which rpm packages to reinstall....

--- End quote ---
Not sure if you want an answer for that, but Andy Willis once gave me this REXX script to list all the packages installed on my machine.

--- Code: ---/* REXX to get just package names from RPM installed output */

rc = SysLoadFuncs()
Parse Arg fileout

rc = SysFileDelete(fileout)
fileinv = holdrpm.txt

address cmd 'yum list |grep install >'fileinv
list = ''
do while Lines(fileinv)
  text = LineIn(fileinv)
  parse var text package'.'.
  list = list || ' ' || package
end
rc = Lineout(fileout,'yum install -y 'list)
rc = SysFileDelete(fileinv)
--- End code ---

Regards

Lars:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on March 27, 2023, 10:01:06 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lars on March 27, 2023, 12:28:48 pm ---Have you updated the config.sys of the image to load OS2AHCI.ADD instead of (or in addition to) the DANIS506.ADD ?

--- End quote ---

Yes - definitely os2ahci.add is in config.sys (in addition to danis506.add). I've even tried solely using os2ahci.add.

I might have to do a fresh install, but it would be nice not to have to try work out which rpm packages to reinstall....

--- End quote ---

EDIT: Stick to Virtualbox 6.1.40. Do NOT use anything that is newer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version