OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Rsync and eaclean

<< < (3/3)

Neil Waldhauer:

--- Quote ---The UUID etc being cleaned should be fine. Have to remember that symlinks and permissions are also kept in EA's. While only some things (Samba?) care about the permissions, there are lots of symlinks that are important.
--- End quote ---

The eaclean program used with the -c parameter does not clean the symlink EA. It only removes the ones listed.

UID, GID, MODE, INO, RDEV, GEN, FLAGS

This sounds very like flags needed for SAMBA or for sharing files with any multi-user system. Is there any way to test SAMBA in this case? If I got my Ubuntu system working again, could I use the Ubuntu SAMBA client to detect the difference?

Neil Waldhauer:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on March 31, 2023, 07:00:59 am ---
--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on March 31, 2023, 03:54:51 am ---Just for the record, PMMail does not use EAs. Using RSync to copy the mail store does add EAs to every file.

I don't know why that would cause RSync to use more time to transfer the files.

--- End quote ---

Isn't PMMail now compiled with GCC/Libc? Libc does add EA's to everything it touches.

--- End quote ---

When I run PMMail, it creates these EA for new messages: UID, GID, MODE, INO, RDEV, GEN, FLAGS. These are exactly the ones targeted by eaclean -c.

Dave Yeo:
Most all programs linked against kLIBC/libcn will create them. Use a GCC compiled unzip, use cp, etc and those EAs will be added to a file or be there on file creation.
Be thankful that they are no longer critical EAs as they were in some early libc's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version