OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Rsync and eaclean

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Smedley:
Those EAs are added by libc afair

Dave Yeo:
It's easy to test, create a file, lets say a text file with e.exe. It has no EA's. Use a libc program on it, lets say cp to new file, the copy has the EA's.
Knut had plans for the EA's and was very resistant to removing them, unluckily he seems to have lost interest.

Neil Waldhauer:
Would there be a downside to cleaning off those libc-based EA from my entire drive? If libc puts them in, there must be an advantage to having them.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on April 01, 2023, 03:35:58 pm ---Would there be a downside to cleaning off those libc-based EA from my entire drive? If libc puts them in, there must be an advantage to having them.
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't do the whole drive. Icons are kept in EAs. As I said, PMMail does not use EAs (Libc may create them), so it is perfectly safe to remove them from the PMMail mail store.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on April 01, 2023, 03:35:58 pm ---Would there be a downside to cleaning off those libc-based EA from my entire drive? If libc puts them in, there must be an advantage to having them.

--- End quote ---

The UUID etc being cleaned should be fine. Have to remember that symlinks and permissions are also kept in EA's. While only some things (Samba?) care about the permissions, there are lots of symlinks that are important.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version