Author Topic: OS/2 Warp 3 on Gateway Solo Pentium III crash on install  (Read 5283 times)

voidstar

• View Profile
    • voidstar notes
OS/2 Warp 3 on Gateway Solo Pentium III crash on install
« on: March 31, 2023, 08:29:48 am »
I was trying to install original OS/2 Warp 3 with 3.5" floppies.   It has two boot floppies then the CD-ROM.    The floppies work in another system, so I don't think the floppies are bad (they are backups from the original IBM disks).

But on this Gateway Solo 9300 with a Pentium III processor, on disk 2 of the install it gets this crash.  Does anyone know if this is an OS/2 crash error, or if it's a BIOS system related crash?    I thought maybe it was a Gateway system error (the system is from about '98) but this could be from an OS/2 build date ('94 sounds about right year).

Is there any known "Pentium III compatibility error" known with old OS/2 ?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp 3 on Gateway Solo Pentium III crash on install
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 08:40:43 am »
I was trying to install original OS/2 Warp 3 with 3.5" floppies.   It has two boot floppies then the CD-ROM.    The floppies work in another system, so I don't think the floppies are bad (they are backups from the original IBM disks).

But on this Gateway Solo 9300 with a Pentium III processor, on disk 2 of the install it gets this crash.  Does anyone know if this is an OS/2 crash error, or if it's a BIOS system related crash?    I thought maybe it was a Gateway system error (the system is from about '98) but this could be from an OS/2 build date ('94 sounds about right year).

Is there any known "Pentium III compatibility error" known with old OS/2 ?

Yes, towards the end, IBM put out various kernel fixes for then current modern hardware such as the PIII. SSE might have been an issue.
You could try the boot disks from http://web.archive.org/web/20060926010038/http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/inst_diskettes.html#w3x, might have to hunt the URL's.
Otherwise, Warp v4+fp15.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 01:54:00 pm »
If you cant find the replacement Warp 3 boot FD's, try:

http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/warp3/index.html
look at the pj23092.* files.

You will have to replace the ldr file on the floppy
Try WFP/OS2LDR.WFP  or WHP/OS2LDR.WHP
ie, rename each one to OS2LDR as needed, replace the one on FD and see how you go.

Next question :)
if the OS2LDR file is hidden, you will need to use "attrib -s -h -r  OS2LDR" on OS2LDR, which means booting into OS/2 somewhere. I dont have the FD's around at present to check but I certainly remember this problem in the late 90's. [ADDED: The crash problem, not the hidden files]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:23:43 am by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:37:18 pm »
Hi

FYI: I also have collected some OS/2 installation diskettes updates on Hobbes:
- https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?path=%2Fpub%2Fos2%2Fsystem%2Fpatches%2Finstaller

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

voidstar

• View Profile
    • voidstar notes
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 06:30:07 pm »
This is "OS/2 Warp Connect" Version 3 (blue box) if that matters.    I had hoped to just see of ArcaOS would network with an original OS/2 install.

I'm still going to seek out a laptop that will work with this original media.  I have a Thinkpad 385CD, but it's CD drive stopped working (waiting on a replacement to show up).   But another issue is maybe installing to drives way larger than 2GB - the OS2 installers partition manager seems to have trouble acknowledging that I have a partition larger than 35MB (but perhaps the updated install media you guys have mentioned also address that?)

So I just get a newer install disk, but the same/original CD-ROM should still work?   

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 07:29:50 pm »
Yes, with the updated install diskettes, you should get updated kernel, os2ldr, ibm1s506.add driver etc. The updated ibm1s506.add should allow large hard drives. You still might have problems with your BIOS and booting from the large drive. I remember having to jumper a drive to small, boot from the beginning of the drive and once booted, the whole drive was visible.
The updated install disks should also be set up that the versions of stuff on the diskettes are installed instead of the versions on the CD.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 08:14:26 pm »
As for networking between Warp Connect and ArcaOS, I don't think the default install will allow it. You might be able to coax Samba to using netbios over tcpip to communicate, the newer the Samba, the harder as the old netbios is very insecure. Or install the old netbios component, maybe with NAPS, which should work fine.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 08:28:02 pm »
Another thing you could try is replacing the ibm1s506.add with the dani1s506.add from hobbes.  In fact that is how my WarpConnect modified CD is built using bootable.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 03:40:43 pm »
As for networking between Warp Connect and ArcaOS, I don't think the default install will allow it. You might be able to coax Samba to using netbios over tcpip to communicate, the newer the Samba, the harder as the old netbios is very insecure. Or install the old netbios component, maybe with NAPS, which should work fine.

I can use NETBIOS between ArcaOS 5.0.7 (or even 5.1) and Warp 3 Connect, even with SAMBA running on ArcaOS.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com